mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Blue Ridge fantasy trip (March 29-April 9

I have the unique opportunity to take a one way car trip from Birmingham, AL to DC in late March. I will start at Oak Mountain near Birmingham, AL. I will have about 12-13 days to make my way and want to keep rather close to the Blue Ridge mountains. I will have the freedom to ride as I please 3-4 hours per day. I may camp on occasion, weather permitting.

I would love some feedback on places you recommend all along the way. I have ridden a few places already and they are listed below. I want to exclude these if possible.

Dupont
    Cold water Mountain in Anniston
    Pinahoti trail in Dalton
    Brevard (but not Bent Creek)
    Douthat State Park

Many, Many thanks in advance!

check your six
    If your coming up to the DC area, be sure to hit up Snowshoe.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

powered by peanut butter.
    I highly recommend the Pinhoti trail in North Georgia. Lots of climbing, great descents, backcountry singletrack. Watch out for bears, though. http://mulberrygap.net/pinhoti-trail/

Jake and Bull Mountain in N. GA are really good, too. Be sure to ride down Bull Mountain Trail (which is towards the parking lot, if you're looking at a map) if you go. Bull and Jake Mountain - IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Dahlonega, GA

Outside of Asheville, near Old Fort, is the Kitsuma Trail, which is a ripping fun time. Kitsuma Mountain Bike Trail, Black Mountain, NC

Have a great trip! I love riding in the Southern Appalachians.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would second Snowshoe for some DH fun!

Rocky Knob Bike Park in Boone, NC is worth the stop if you are in the area. It is well marked and has some fun climbs with some fun Super D feeling descents. I remember passing under the Blue Ridge on my way there too (Only about 15 mins from it).

If you are willing to travel about 30-45 minutes east of Rocky Knob... you should definitely check out Warrior Creek (Kerr Scott Resevoir) near Statesville, NC. It has a fantastic flowing 12 mile loop that you can do pretty easily without getting lost (There is a lot more trail there to add on as well. Dark Mountain). Definitely worth the detour if you have time.

Of course Pisgah & Dupont are Fantastic

mtbr member
    If you are actually able to ride when you get to DC, head about 30 miles north to Frederick. Gambrill State Park and the Frederick watershed are both awesome places to ride if you like rocky chunky fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Good reminders of places of heard of but never ridden. Warrior creek and Tsali will surely get sessioned!

Professional Crastinator
    Pinhote is a long trail - I would recommend it again and again.
    Fort Mtn. is in the area.

Around Blue Ridge, GA:
    Flat Creek Georgia Trail Reviews
    (^^^------these trails are connected-----vvv)
    Stanley Gap Georgia Trail Reviews (some call this "Aska Rd.")

Also:
    Windy Gap Georgia Trail Reviews (if you want to really test yourself and your bike)

I thought there was a bunch of stuff in Ellijay, too. Call the bike shop there.

Have a great trip!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001 View Post
    Good reminders of places of heard of but never ridden. Warrior creek and Tsali will surely get sessioned!
    I was going to say warrior creek (next on my list). Been to tsali 3 times and it's pretty nice.

It's a bit out of the way, but FATS in Augusta, GA area is By FAR my favorite trail (been to Dupont, Bent Creek, Jack Rabbits, etc)....30 miles of pure, flowy bliss.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Carvins Cove is good, Pandapas Pond too (Roanoke and Blacksburg). Both of these are well signed and about an hour apart.

Too early for Snowshoe riding.
    Last edited by CraigCreekRider; 01-23-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Remove Douthat

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    I was going to say warrior creek (next on my list). Been to tsali 3 times and it's pretty nice.

It's a bit out of the way, but FATS in Augusta, GA area is By FAR my favorite trail (been to Dupont, Bent Creek, Jack Rabbits, etc)....30 miles of pure, flowy bliss.
    I suppose I never said where I live right now. I've been living in Augusta, Games for the last 2 years. I've ridden FATS at least a billion times... and love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Stop in Staunton in Harrisonburg Area in VA which is slightly north of Douthat west of 81 and check out George Washington National Forest trails. Do some research on the Shenandoah Mountain 100 Trails. Check Mountain touring Mountain Bike Virginia - Shenandoah Mountain Touring - Cycle Virginia - Virginia Singletrack - Trails - IMBA - Shenandoah Mountain 100 - Wilderness 101 and Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition. Really is the best in VA, although I haven't been down to hit the Roanoke area yet.

I am sure if post up here or in the SVBC facebook you can find people to ride with.

whatever you decide if you are riding the national forest land get the right Nat Geo maps they are good. Feel free top PM as well. Sounds like an awesome trip.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Check into Damascus, VA and the Iron Mountain Trail

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Right outside of Roanoke is Carvins Cove, a trail system well marked and worth the trip. It is a trail system/network, not a back country route. Huge variety of trail types, and very easy to link it all up in cool ways. To compare it to something on your list, it is sort of like Dupont, but way, way better, IMO. I think it beats Bent Creek as well, but you have not been there. Will say that the camping situation around Roanoke is not all that great, mostly just some primitive camping up in the National Forests. AWESOME beer at Parkway Brewery, which is just a couple miles from Carvins Cove.

Warrior Creek in NC is very interesting, never ridden anything quite like it around these parts. 12 miles (or maybe a bit more by now) of ultra-bermed, swooping roller-coaster fun. Really off the charts, but not very hard to to, just ridiculously fun. Definitely worth riding at least once. Won't take you 3 hours, but there is also Dark Mt trail system and Overland Victory Trail as well. Within 10 miles. There is good camping there (Warrior Creek Campground, and i think one or two others).

If you are in the Boone area, I had a great time at Rocky-Knob bike park. And Boone was a great little town to have dinner and drinks in.

I live 5 Minutes from Pandapas Pond. It is decent (very thankful for it being here), but not on the level of much else being recommended here. It takes a couple of times there to get how to ride, and if you want to ride more than 2 hours you will be re-riding some trails.

Pretty sure it is too early for Snowshoe, you will need to check the opening dates.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    For something totally different than the other suggestions, the Dragons Back / Tail route is in the best shape of the year right after the race which is April 6. Very hard riding but beautiful back country with amazing rocky terrain.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    For something totally different than the other suggestions, the Dragons Back / Tail route is in the best shape of the year right after the race which is April 6. Very hard riding but beautiful back country with amazing rocky terrain.
    Yeah, Dragon's Back is classic VA back country ridge top riding. Steep climbs up to the top, rocky along the ridge, and brilliant downhills off the sides. Good signage. You need to be willing to do some suffering for it, but it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Do you happen to have a link for that trail or the local town name. Not coming up with much. Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Do you happen to have a link for that trail or the local town name. Not coming up with much. Thanks!
    Unfortunately, while the trails are well marked, good online maps are a little hard to come by. The National Geographic Trail Illustrated has it on it. I also have a high quality PDF from the USFS of it, but it is for a poster and too big to post here. PM me if you want me to email it too you.

I believe it in in Catawba, VA.

This link shows a google track of a loop starting from the forest service road (I would do this in the opposite direction, though:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cWc&cad=rja

And here is a track I recorded of doing more of a lolipop ride from the Dragon's Tooth parking lot on Rt 311 (I did the loop part counter-clockwise):
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...75269,0.169086

Niether of these are terribly accurate, but it give you an idea of where it is.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    To add to what Kapusta put up, this is a ride report from our ride there a couple of years ago.
    Dragons Back and Tale Ride
    BD279's video on there is pretty cool too.