mtbr member

Blue Diamond - Las Vegas

I vacationed in Las Vegas and fit in a day to rent some bikes and do a short loop at Blue Diamond. We would have done more, but the girlfriend had a pretty nasty wash out leading to sand replacing her skin on her arm... It's not as nice to touch.

Mar. 28, 2012 in Blue Diamond, NV

mtbr member
    DSCN0023edit

DSCN0027edit

DSCN0016edit

DSCN0018edit

DSCN0021edit

Life Is Short
    nice pics...wheres the girlfriends rash?

Is not amused
    Looks like a sweet trail. Nice pictures too.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    nice pics...wheres the girlfriends rash?
    elbow

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I was vacation in Las Vegas and fit in a day to rent some bikes and do a short loop at Blue Diamond. We would have done more, but the girlfriend had a pretty nasty wash out leading to sand replacing her skin on her arm... It's not as nice to touch.

Mar. 28, 2012 in Blue Diamond, NV

What is amazing about that whole Red Rock National Conservation Area and Blue Diamond is how accessible to Vegas it is and how few people are out there with it being so close to vegas. I did a project at the Visitor Center (actually the project was the visitor center) in Red Rock Park and when I was in town and talking to the locals so few knew what the heck I was talking about. It is a really nice chunk of Mojave desert with lots of trails and tons of exploring to be done. I highly recommend checking it out, plus keep an eye out for the wild horses and burros that live out there, cast offs from early settlers and mining operations and national protected now.
    Try this: HTFU

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I got to sample Blue Diamond stuff back in '07 on a road trip, and it was some really nice "smoove" desert singletrack.

I'm a big fan of chunky bumpy, but sometimes I really just want to cruise all mellow like and enjoy where I'm at - and that trail system delivered big time. Would not mind visiting it again one day.

Sadly, in my sick world, it's way to close to Vegas. I don't like that place at all.

mtbr member
    Glad you enjoyed our little neck of the desert. Blue Diamond/Cottonwood does have some sweet desert singletrack.... fast, mostly buff, and swoopy.

Like rockcrusher said it's so accessable from Vegas and there's some chunk as well on the Cowboy Trails right across from the visitor center in the same area and more across the valley at Bootleg Canyon.

Sorry about your girlfriend's spill (and the resulting shortening of the ride). Hope she's OK.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    What is amazing about that whole Red Rock National Conservation Area and Blue Diamond is how accessible to Vegas it is and how few people are out there with it being so close to vegas. I did a project at the Visitor Center (actually the project was the visitor center) in Red Rock Park and when I was in town and talking to the locals so few knew what the heck I was talking about. It is a really nice chunk of Mojave desert with lots of trails and tons of exploring to be done. I highly recommend checking it out, plus keep an eye out for the wild horses and burros that live out there, cast offs from early settlers and mining operations and national protected now.
    Tie in cowboy trails and BBT and it's got something for everyone...so glad its my backyard
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Beautiful Ride, Beautiful Pictures!

Thanks,

Hank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    We saw the poo from the burros and/or horses, but not the animals themselves. We were a little sad we didn't run in to them. We'll definitely be checking out much more of the trails in our future visits. It was my first ride on 29 inch wheels and it seems that terrain was ideal for that bike.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    We are very lucky indeed, love me some Blue Diamond/Cottonwood

Matt

Blue Diamond - Las Vegas-pict0400.jpg
    Last edited by beagledadi; 04-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    I should be out riding....

'Tis but a scratch
    I did Blue Diamond/Cottonwood back in October 2011 from Vegas. I was on a pleasure trip with my brother and 2 other friends. Just me and my bro rented MTBs from the Blue Diamond Outpost. Nice trails! I rode a Trek Rumblefish 29er. We also rented ATVs in the desert which was also an incredible experience. All 4 of us did that. Guys from NY don't get too many chances to ride MTBs and ATVs in the desert. We had a great time on that trip!

mtbr member
    I love the Mojave. I will have to check that out the next time that I'm there. Thanks for all of the photos and information.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Excellent! Thanks For Sharing

C

mtbr member
    I'll be out in Vegas in June. Would it be too hot at that point to rent some bikes for a day?
    Are you a Happy Mutant?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoX33 View Post
    I'll be out in Vegas in June. Would it be too hot at that point to rent some bikes for a day?
    Depends upon what you mean by too hot.

According to Weather Underground Historical Data you should expect highs in the 100F to 110F range, with very low relative humidity.

Plan accordingly, why not ride?

But be careful, conditions like that CAN be dangerous!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Depends upon what you mean by too hot.

According to Weather Underground Historical Data you should expect highs in the 100F to 110F range, with very low relative humidity.

Plan accordingly, why not ride?

But be careful, conditions like that CAN be dangerous!
    +1. Ride, but work around the heat. When I'm down there in the summer I ride early morning (like predawn) and try to be off the trail by 9:00. Usually the temps are "only" around 80-90 that time of day. Or, I head up to Mt. Charleston to get my fix. Usually 20 degrees cooler up there.