Gumnut Peddler

Blind man rides mountain bike trail

Read this article today. It is pretty amazing what technology can achieve these days!

Blind Student Uses Bat Echolocation to Ride Mountain Bike Trails - Bike Rumor

I think it is great that people who otherwise couldn't are getting out there to enjoy what mountain biking has to offer.

There is no way I could ride a trail with my eyes closed and relying on my other senses. Kudo's to the rider who did. I can imagine that it would be a very exciting and nerve wrecking experience.
    Burning fat, not oil.

NeedGod.com
    Nice! Interesting read. Glad he didn't give up. Thanks for posting.
    Nathan

SWFLMTB
    I bet he is better than me!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    the gentleman here sitting on his ass is Blind and he rides with us. he can make out some colors so you just have to make sure the person in fron of him is wearing soe sort of contrasting color that he can follow. and every so often he misses a turn and we have to go back and find him.

I'm Better known as Splat

no trees are safe
    Not convinced that a blind person could have the same experience from a ride as a normal dude would. They could of just tied his bike on a pick-up truck and go through a bumpy road while he was sitting on it.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Not convinced that a blind person could have the same experience from a ride as a normal dude would. They could of just tied his bike on a pick-up truck and go through a bumpy road while he was sitting on it.
    I don't know if that really matters but I am not convinced he wouldn't have every bit as good of an experience. When you lose a sense, others are heightened. So sounds and smells we may miss, he may gain. Besides, that, you can't get much exercise in the back of a truck.

Even if his experience isn't the same, should he just have none at all and sit at home?
    Better to have half an experience than none at all.

Slave to the grind
    i know this has been posted before but since its on topic..

Blind Bike Trials Video 1 - YouTube

whats your excuse for not riding?
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

Rogue Exterminator
    I think some of the stuff guys do on trials bikes is totally impressive but to do it blind is absolutely amazing.

Professional Crastinator
    Some people that I tandem with cannot see a thing.

They like the wind and the sun, but they have ridden the path enough times with us that they know where they are by the undulations of the terrain, the surface texture, how many bridges we've crossed... They also know when we're off the path.
    It tales a LOT of nerve to be a stoker with no sight. You really have to trust the captain.
    I can't imagine stepping it up to riding solo, but I know a few who would try if they can find their balance.

Riding off the edge of a trail would be the worst.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.