contains quinine

blah blah MOAB blah.

got back earlier this week from my first real Moab trip. it was a big weekend. Big rides, big views, big friends, and big memories.

first day was tusher canyon. nice spot for playing around.

we also rode the soveriegn trail, which i highly recommend. No pics there, too busy riding sweet sweet singletrack. also of note - therein lies the least exposure of the weekend and the biggest injury - collarbone and six ribs. Randy, you're one tough dude.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

contains quinine

day 2

porcupine rim. high speed drops and rocks. wish i had some pics of the rock gardens - but again, i was too busy riding to take pics. I'm super glad my new bike has 5 inches of travel front and rear because i used it all. also glad for the 8" rotor hanging off the fork. There was no doubt in my mind why this is the classic moab ride.

contains quinine

day 3

forgot to say: props to the crew who rode procupine from camp - you are the real men. I shoudl also say that we had about 25 people on that ride and it went off really well.

anyways, day 3, another shuttle. Gold Bar rim. Spectacular views, great trail. 5 hours wandering through the desert. this day we had about 15 people, including 3 canucks we found wandering around looking for tools and trails.

Gold Bar was great. But the descent...

contains quinine

portal

The descent was shocking.

Portal.

If you've heard about it, you know. if not - you descend a singletrack with huge exposure until you get to a sign that says 3 cyclists have died here, please dismount. yeah, no problemo with that - it was scary enough walking. In retrospect, it's probably not so bad (I say this as a novice rock climber who's pretty used to exposure), but in the moement it's HUGE. the cliff is a couple feet away, but it's a huge drop to the ground beneath. That, and you're tired from all the climbing and riding it took to get there.Heloo vertigo...

Initially I thought riding it once would be enough. Now I think I may have to hit it again on the next trip.

Also - my first photoshopped pic - trying to bring some figures out of the darkness, so if anyone's got some tips, i sure could use some...

contains quinine

last day

last day: got out of town early and headed to Fruita. Picture is of horsetheif bench, only had 6 riders, had a good day except for my huge bonk on moore fun.

That's the best of my pictures, I had a great time with great firends. Until next time,

Thanks for looking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    That's the best of my pictures, I had a great time with great firends. Until next time,

Thanks for looking!
    Thanks for sharing. I've never been, but I definitely want to get to Moab next spring. All my cycling friends are leaving in the next couple weeks, so I'll have to ride alone at home

More Chasmism

hfly

Thanks for the pictures. It's hard to get a picture of the Portal that effectively conveys the exposure. Yours is one of the best I've seen.

It sounds like you picked a great ride itinerary. We were out on Tusher Canyon's Entrada two days ago and got drenched by a series of thunderstorms. Made the ledge-dropping route on the way down very slippery (and scary). Saw the most vivid rainbow any of us had ever seen as we got back to our vehicles. I wish I had brought my camera.

Anyway, thanks again for the pictures.

hfly

P.S. As for your Gold Bar Rim picture (the one in which you are looking over the rim), you are quite near the arch on the rim. Did you find it?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Really nice pic's. I've seen this Portal shot before, but where does the trail go. Is there a switchback in that shot, or does it go around the bend. Thanks.

contains quinine
    no, we didn't find the arch, but strangely, i don't think we were even thinking about it. I wish we had scouted around a bit for it. next time...

portal: the trail goes around the bend. also, to get a bit of an idea of the exposure - we're standing on a cliff just like the one accross the river...

mtbr member
    Awesome! I'm heading out there for a few days at the end oof the month and this just fuels the anticipation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Awesome pics!

Awesome pics dude! Everyone of them is great. I was out there in October of last year and I'm going back again this year in Sept or Oct . I can't hardly wait...keep posting pics if you got more!
    Hopefully i'll have a 5" travel bike before I go this year.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Excellent write up and pics. I haven't done Portal yet, but have heard all the stories and that's one of the best pics I've seen of it. Puts it in good perspective. I've seen close-ups of the one techy section (or most techy section given that it's all techy!), but not a larger shot of the entire section.

Oh, and Moore Fun. What a freaking awesome ride. I've only run it once and from west-to-east, but I'd still put it up against anything out there. The combos that you can put together with MF, Troy Built, Mary's, Horesethief, etc. are limitless. So cool.

Again, good stuff. BTW, nice to be getting some precip on the Front Range, huh? S

contains quinine
    thanks for the kind words!

It's great to see the dirt wet around here. it seems like it's been months since we've had any moisture... and i'm not bummed since i'm still knocked down from the trip and should really stay inside anyway...

Every Ride A Gift
    Great pics! I enjoyed my first trip there just a couple of weeks ago. I'll never forget it, and I will be back!

contains quinine
    one more picture, mostly because i can't help but to post someone in the groove on porcupine rim...

mtbr member

speaking of in the groove

one more picture, mostly because i can't help but to post someone in the groove on porcupine rim...

photos are contagious

The Mountain Bike Life
    Nice pics, I hope to ride there one day......it looks so beautifull.

banned
    Apr 2004

Mecca

got back earlier this week from my first real Moab trip. it was a big weekend. Big rides, big views, big friends, and big memories.

first day was tusher canyon. nice spot for playing around.

we also rode the soveriegn trail, which i highly recommend. No pics there, too busy riding sweet sweet singletrack. also of note - therein lies the least exposure of the weekend and the biggest injury - collarbone and six ribs. Randy, you're one tough dude.
    Silly stinky beards, they think mecca is in the middle east.
    Thanks for the cyber trip to Moab haven't been in about 5 years
    can't wait to try my new lungs and legs out there
    --------------------------------

god exists in the minds of those that believe
    for the rest of us heavenly nothingness

contains quinine
    damn! that dude's way too close to the cliff...

thanks nwmtb...