Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Biking has changed.

All of a sudden I have 3 kids who want to go trail riding when I do.

The dog is on high alert if Camelbaks are out. She barks and cries like a tortured animal if not outside when bikes are being loaded.

I guess the only problem here is funny where last night my twins wanted to go for ice cream when the dad was thinking about the beer others had in the parking lot.

turtles make me hot
    Yep. My rides are usually with my 8 year old son now. There's a few sections I can't bring him yet. I can't have him falling off the trail and rolling down into the trees.
    Needless to say, this limits the amount of climbing and cardio I am able to get on a ride now. He'll be up to it soon enough.
    Now, on the other hand... My wife is about to start as soon as the rest of her drivetrain shows up. I may as well get a cruiser and ride on the boardwalk.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with that, enjoy your time with the kiddos; ice cream is as good as beer for recovery.

mtbr member
    No kids but my dog goes nuts when he sees lycra!

It's about showing up.
    My kid is 20 now. We had great times. He is an awesome rider.
    I don't rattle.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    ...My rides are usually with my 8 year old son now...Needless to say, this limits the amount of climbing and cardio I am able to get on a ride now.
    May I suggest a mountain tandem. Best money I ever spent. My daughter and I did the 70 mile Laramie Enduro 5 times, beginning when she was 11. She graduated to racing it solo at 16 and finished as the 9th woman. I never was so fit as when we were tandeming...and we built a bond that will last forever.
    DSC00527.JPG
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My son is 22 and home from college and we ride every weekend together. Going out tomorrow with him to do some trials and Sunday we will go MTBing. My GF of one year now also rides with me, I borrowed a bike for her last year and she has been hooked ever since.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    May I suggest a mountain tandem. Best money I ever spent. My daughter and I did the 70 mile Laramie Enduro 5 times, beginning when she was 11. She graduated to racing it solo at 16 and finished as the 9th woman. I never was so fit as when we were tandeming...and we built a bond that will last forever.
    DSC00527.JPG
    That's a great idea. I was actually thinking of custom building a tandem that could accommodate Surly Knards. This makes the argument for such a beast even stronger.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nothing better then riding too slow on easy trails because my 6 yr old girl is leading
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking has changed.-screen-shot-2013-05-24-7.05.40-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    DSC00527.JPG
    Man, this is just awesome. My 5 year old daughter speeds around the neighborhood with me, and my one year old son rides in the iBert. Best rides ever. Well done, I hope I can be this awesome for my kids.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome...trying to get my teenage boys into now too! Can't wait to get my 4 year old baby girl into it too. MTB for life here..HAPPY TRAILS
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Yep, and I am loving every min of it. This was today on the Hermosa Creek trail outside of Durango. Not the workout I would have chosen but one of the best rides of my life. My son (7y/o) and wife in the short clip and my just 6 y/o daughter on the Tag-a-long while her Mtn bike is being built.

mtbr member
    Needless to say, this limits the amount of climbing and cardio I am able to get on a ride now. He'll be up to it soon enough.
    Before long, you may be sucking wind trying to keep up with him.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Wish i could get my kids into it. My 20 yo daughter is super athletic (swim team, softball, soccer, etc etc) and is starting to express an interest after all these years. She surfs with me every now and then so i might be able to bring her on board.

My 13 yo? Best story ever there. The kid does NOT like risk or falling. Straight A student. Read a book or sweat? No contest, shes reading. She had zero interest in learning how to ride a bike for her entire life. Earlier this year she realized she was the only one of her friends who could not ride a bike. For what ever reason this motivated her to learn at 13. She proceeded to learn how to ride a bike in one weekend with out EVER falling (how is that even possible!!??) and hasent gotten on a bike since.

OP, enjoy it. You can always sneak off for a solo ride. You cant always get your loved ones to share your passions.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    My son learned to bike later as well (9 yrs old), but when he did he picked it up quickly. I never tried to push it on him, I wanted to let him get the urge on his own. He turns 12 this summer and I just got him his first 26" mt bike about 8 weeks ago. The other night he asked, for the first time, if he could come on a trail ride. I feel now like he and I have a lot of great rides together in the future and it's a great feeling!
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    One additional strategy I came up with when my kids were small was to run the trail while they rode it. I found it difficult or aggravating to be on and off the bike helping my daughter lug their bike over an obstacle that she had no chance at clearing. It struck me that I could turn it into a trail run, letting her ride the sections that were easy enough (the majority of the trail) and give her a push up a hill, or carry the bike over sections that were too difficult. I had great workout that way and the kids got to experience "real" trails, not just bridle paths.

And those noting differences between kids are spot on -- my daughter was always ready to hit the trail and has carried on with cycling up through college (3 years as president of the bicycle racing team), and the boy is accomplished enough on a bike (he too logged several thousand miles as a stoker on a tandem from a young age) but is currently more interested in soccer and skiing powder. But if you start 'em young enough, they don't know any better!
    Biking has changed.-familytour.jpg
    This family picture was taken midway through an 80 mile day on the Tour de Wyoming (a week long supported road tour). The stoker is now 6'3" at 15 years of age and can drop me at will on rides under an hour, but I've still got his number on longer rides...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    DSC00527.JPG
    Wow, that's really awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    My son is 22 and home from college and we ride every weekend together. Going out tomorrow with him to do some trials and Sunday we will go MTBing. My GF of one year now also rides with me, I borrowed a bike for her last year and she has been hooked ever since.
    You're in a state of bliss now! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    My son learned to bike later as well (9 yrs old), but when he did he picked it up quickly. I never tried to push it on him, I wanted to let him get the urge on his own. He turns 12 this summer and I just got him his first 26" mt bike about 8 weeks ago. The other night he asked, for the first time, if he could come on a trail ride. I feel now like he and I have a lot of great rides together in the future and it's a great feeling!
    Key words..."don't push", at least if he's like mine!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Biking has changed.

I guess I'm lucky. I didn't start biking until age 44, but my teenage son got started right along with me. So we learned, fell, crashed and sucked wind at about the same pace (except for the 30 year difference in age). He smokes me on long climbs, but on most technical and fast, flowing sections I can somewhat hold my own. His interest in biking has really helped motivate me to improve... but we still have a ton of fun riding together.

mtbr member
    My youngest has started to want to come with me, so I bought a cargo bike and he rides on the back.
    Biking has changed.-image.jpg

We just started riding together and so far, we just do paved trails and errands BUT I think if I slapped on some knobbies and took the fold down racks and bags off, we could do pretty well with speed. Of course, it would be awesome if he could help pedal But he is only 5. It will come, I am just trying to light the fire of desire and excitement before he realizes it is work too!

mtbr member
    Aloha naked, Awesome Passion! Great picture. My friend quotes "on a mountain bike you can be 9 years old forever". I truly believe that and have lived that for so many years.

High Desert MTBer
    It was my stepson that pestered me hard to get him a 'mountain bike' for his 12th birthday. That was back in the early 80s... When I went to the bike shop to do just that, and tried it out after buying it, it was a very short time til I got myself one of them things! We rode together all the time, did a few races together, and had a good time for several years. Now he's married with kids, all growed up, and living in Russia... kids are just getting to riding age...
    It's all Here. Now.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Great stories. I was worried that this was going to turn into a "dude, my kids are ruining my stoke" kind of thing. I have one that will hit the trail with me on occasion, and another that has never forgiven mom and dad for laughing at his superman face first right into a mud puddle when he was 13.

Professional Crastinator
    That's a great idea. I was actually thinking of custom building a tandem that could accommodate Surly Knards. This makes the argument for such a beast even stronger.
    This would suit my wife and I to a "T" (if I was rolling in moolah)
    Ampeirce Mountain Tandem with Knards!
    Biking has changed.-ampeirce-mountain-tandem1.jpg

Yes, biking used to be a 5-day-a-week endeavor. Now it's maybe 1. But when my 7 yo wants to go, I am really happy. Can't wait 'til she's big enough for our Cannondale MT1000 (she might be too much of a control freak to be a stoker, though ).

-F

PS - I do own a boardwalk cruiser. It has a flask instead of a water bottle.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Genius
    I have been riding with my daughter for a couple years. She just turned 10 last week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking has changed.-4.jpg  

"I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    My 14 year old son just did his first "longer" Mtn bike ride. Lots of climbing and fun stuff for over 4 hours. Best comment was from a friend of mine who said "We always knew Ethan was going to kick our butts, just didn't think it would be yesterday"!! Can't wait to have mini me out riding w/me this summer! We are doing a trail work day next Sat, followed by an overnight camping trip and big ride on Sun! Should be great!!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast