Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

Smile Bikepacking in the winter

It's been eons ago since i last bikepacked and i'm in the planning stages of going off the grid for a few nights. i needed to work out the bugs and see what works, what doesn't, what i need to bring, what i didn't need to bring etc. Plus, San Diego has been experiencing some ridiculously mild winter. So i took the opportunity to take off for a night.

Starting from our house, i pedaled to this great oak tree. If you are from the San Diego area, you know where this is.

Here i am at the intersection of Indian Creek & Noble Canyon. From here, i had a lot of options where i would be camping. Since this mountain is my ol' stomping grounds, i've always made a conscious point where it would be nice to camp out each time i rode the area. It didn't take long for me to decide.

So, I putzed around the Laguna mountains before i decided to make camp.

Alas - i've made camp. I think it was the perfect choice, nice view of the meadows, wide open space in front of you while tucked under the large variety of pine trees.

after setting up camp, i went for a nice evening stroll on some finely buffed singletrack and before you know it, it was dinner time. I've been anxiously waiting for this time because i get to test out my Penny stove made out of 2 Heineken cans.

after a less than a minute of priming, the stove was working flawlessly and in less than 8 minutes, i have 2 cups of boiling water.

Now for dinner:
    Mountain House spaghetti and meatballs
    single served Spam light
    Dessert ; Butterfinger and some sours. Not the healthiest but it sure was fun and good. Really kinda hits home when i used to go camping as a little boy.

After dinner, i decided to start a fire and sip my Knob creek whisky. This night couldn't have been anymore perfect. The wind was calm, The skies were clear so you can literally see a million stars above you. The sound of the animals howling, it was perfect! Even that maple whiskey was good. Now, if i can only get my wife to go bikepacking with me...

I tucked in pretty early and before you know, i was sound asleep.

Early in the morning when the sun came out, my tent has gotten pretty warm so i decided to get up and make some breakfast.
    When i stepped out of the tent this is the view that i saw.

Not bad eh?

Now, for the most important meal of the day. Those Starbucks via is not bad at all for an instant coffee.

After breakfast, i made sure to put the fire out completely and then pack out. After a few loops and doing a couple of off shoot trails, it was time to head back down the mountain via Noble Canyon.

Los Gatos

#Selfie

Unfortunately after taking a picture of myself my camera died. Probably didn't like the way i look or something...needless to say, it was all downhill to the house with no stopping via Noble Canyon.

This ride has gotten me so stoked for the plans ahead. I can not wait to go off the grid!

Not bad for winter riding and camping, right?
    Last edited by Scott forty G.; 01-23-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Nice!

Hmmmmm. There are a few spots around me that aren't really all that out there (i'd have to drive a bit for that...) but that would be very condusive to that sort of thing.

Hmmmmm.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Yappy little dog!
    Very cool! Nice pictures, great area, looks like a good time to reflect.