Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bike-thief-beat-down passion

16K views 209 replies 58 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
#106 · (Edited)
Tons of future victims in this thread. Guy gets what he deserves and people complain. Unbelievable the pussification of this country.
This is a problem I have with this thread. I'm not going to go back an re-read the whole thing but I can't recall one person complaining. I have heard people argue that punishment, "beatings" like this don't really do much to deter crime, a valid argument (not that I'm agreeing with it!), and that people really should lock up their bikes, also valid ( and I am agreeing with that) or like myself- the dude did get what he deserved, justice was served (in this instance) and everything turned out great, a perfect Hollywood ending!

I get it, I even like it, I just don't like the gloating, the rubbernecking, and the cheering. I joked earlier that maybe we should bring back stoning, and though no one has outright agreed with that I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some who might welcome it. There is quite a mob here that are verbally stoning the "bad guy" so it's not a far fetch that a few might pick up a few real rocks if the opportunity arose. I'm thinking of setting up an online torch outlet, the market seems ripe for it.

Several have also suggested that we should adopt Saudi Arabia's model and chop off hands, etc. etc., but just remember all the other fun things that go along with their role model. Are we not fighting them because of their deplorable way of life? As flawed as our justice system is, and Ill admit that it is seriously flawed, I'll take it over vigilantism any time. If you play by those rules then some day you may find yourself on the wrong end of a rope.

If this is pussification then I am all in.

#79 ·
I think that while the guy deserved it, there's nothing cool about beating a guy up no matter what he did. Cheering a guy getting beat up isn't any better than cheering that a bike got stolen, regardless of whether it was an action or reaction. I give a big (non-broken) thumbs down to this thread, and I'm pretty bummed it's not a more popular opinion around here (kudos to those who do feel the same way, though).

#82 ·
Whether you like or accept it or not, human males have been fighting, punching on and dishing out punishment since the dawn of time, humans not only have the ability to talk and reason but also dish out punishment and fight.
Yes its not the best way to deal with things in most occasions but in ones like this its a perfect way to deal with it and in my opinion very ethical and justified..
If you think that its wrong to watch men fight and enjoy it your dreaming.
We love our UFC and boxing here infact UFC sells out in 1 hour, i adore it and derive a great deal of pleasure watching it.
Some men have an instinct to fight and enjoy it, i put myself in that group, i dont chose to like it i just do ever since i was a child, its called testosterone, and its a part of life for a big part of the male population the world over, always has been always will be..
You cant expect every one to share your opinion on this.
If a dude steals a bike and got beat up like he did here i think its great, id either be the one beatin him up or very much enjoying the spectacle....
He got what he deserved and in my opinion deserved more than he got...

#127 ·
SV11 is on crack. NEVER is it the fault of an owner when his/her property is stolen. As a former victim of bike theft (my thief had big-ass bolt cutters,) I think the beating was well-justified.

I would have no problem kicking the shi*t out of a guy who steals my bike. Even if he doesn't really fight back. Just hope nobody's watching....

In other news, I'm an idiot and can't leave rep properly.

#130 · (Edited)
Yeah it farkn is. If i leave my bike unlocked in a busy environment and it gets stolen, who's fault is it? It's my fault for being an ass and not securing the bike. It's up to the owner if he wants to prevent theft, there are insinuating circumstances at times, but generally the onus is on the owner. You really don't understand what a thief's job is.
If i do see a perp trying to cut the cable lock, I'd do everything in my power to detain the perp and notify the authorities. The reason being I want it on record. Beating the perp is way too easy (for me anyway, trained in KM), why let the thief off with a beating, to me its not enough.
When you get a parking ticket, who do you blame, the ticketing officer or yourself? Wake the fark up

#50 ·
First, this thread needs to be a sticky.

My humble opinion is that justice was served exactly as it should have been. No need for cutting off hands or breaking thumbs or stoning and certainly no need for analyzing and forgiving, that can come later.

Reactions: Creeper
#74 ·
SV11 if you believe that its ok to just take advantage of a situation irrelevant of morals as long as its to your advantage with no empathy to the victim then that qualifies you as a clinical psychopath. Try the Hares psychopathy checklist on yourself it may prove useful.

#75 ·
Ofcourse it's not, I have never said that it was ok, and I can see a lot of readers have misinterpreted my posts. Do you honestly think thieves give a fark about morals, or your situation, ofcourse not. The only way to beat a thief is to think like one. You can sit here discussing a cure, the fact is there is no cure, just like aids, but you can prevent it from happening in nearly all cases. Prevention trumps cure.
It would make more sense if you think of thieves as aids, there is no cure.

#80 ·
yeah, because if you just slap him on the wrist and say, " now don't do that again" they will fully understand the repercussions for their actions and what could happen if they choose to do it again... much like what's wrong with kids these days, not enough Red Forman's putting boots in their azz'es ..

Reactions: cmg
#120 ·

Someone said it was an overly excessive beating. I counter that with the fact that the article said there was a fight. That damage could have easily been sustained in a bare knuckles brawl without being overly excessive.
Furthermore, the general line between self defense and assault is protecting yourself to the point that the attacker is no longer posing a threat. If that means you yell at him and he falls to the ground in the fetal position, then you stop there. But if you take a baseball bat to his head and he is still swinging, then you hit him again. If the bike owner did not carry it any further then getting the thief to stop fighting, then there was absolutely nothing excessive about that beating. Not that an extra punch to that swollen purple left eye would have been uncalled for...

#125 ·
Someone said it was an overly excessive beating. I counter that with the fact that the article said there was a fight. That damage could have easily been sustained in a bare knuckles brawl without being overly excessive.
A fight could be one sided.

The thief could have just been trying to get away and begging for mercy and of course people are still going to say their was a fight.

Still, if he would have left his hands off the bike, he would not have been beaten.

Furthermore, the general line between self defense and assault is protecting yourself to the point that the attacker is no longer posing a threat. If that means you yell at him and he falls to the ground in the fetal position, then you stop there. But if you take a baseball bat to his head and he is still swinging, then you hit him again. If the bike owner did not carry it any further then getting the thief to stop fighting, then there was absolutely nothing excessive about that beating. Not that an extra punch to that swollen purple left eye would have been uncalled for...
Wrong

Their is a degree of reasonable force.
You just can't go swinging weapons around all willy nilly.
With your logic, you could keep shooting somebody as long as they are not on the ground in the fetal position.
Even if somebody is coming at you, hitting them baseball bat can be considered excessive force.

#5 ·
HAHAHA the thief deserved everything he got, well done for the cops by not arresting the bike owner, this is true justice, pity his hands wernt 'accidently' chopped off too, thats known to put a stop to future thieving....

#7 ·
My wife and I laughed our asses off at the pic of the thief..
A couple years ago, in Orlando, some dirtbag broke into our truck and got my backpack. We saw all sorts of begging and scamming.
Glad this one played out just like it did.

BTW, anyone ever use a lock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.