Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bike-thief-beat-down passion

16K views 209 replies 58 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
#84 ·
Beating up a thief because he stole your bike, will not discourage the thief not to steal again, it just doesn't work that way. If it did, I"d be on the bandwagon.
A good example is capital punishment in the US. Capital punishment was introduced in 1968, so you would expect in future years crime would be less. It's the opposite, it has been rising. In 1968, 517 inmates were on death row, in 2012 its 3170. So, if death does not stop people committing crimes, do you seriously think beating up someone will have an effect?

#96 ·
Beating up a thief because he stole your bike, will not discourage the thief not to steal again, it just doesn't work that way.
I cant help but laugh..

Say you and I are neighbors. A third neighbor knows us both and knows if he breaks into my house and I catch him he will get a trip to the hospital.. but knows if he gets caught breaking into your house he is going to get hugs.

Youre telling me the outcome isnt going to effect his decision making on which house to burglarize?

Sorry to say, I think youre quite delusional..

#95 ·
I hate it when people try to blame the victim, and am all for negatively reinforcing theft to whatever extent you deem desirable in the event you catch the thief. They named that price, and voluntarily took that risk, when they decided to steal your property.
Yes, you need to lock up your bike. That's the sad reality of the world we live in.
You shouldn't need to, though.

#110 ·
Are we not fighting them because of their deplorable way of life?
No Saudi Arabia is not at war with anyone in fact they are an ally of the US(I assume you are from the US)
and really "deplorable way of life " come on.

#122 ·
all i said was next time to make a point to break the thumbs.. don't know how that got turned into cutting off the hands? that would be outrageous! makes it pretty hard to get a good firm grab of the handle bar with broken thumbs :D

#132 ·
If i leave my bike unlocked in a busy environment and it gets stolen, who's fault is it?
Your parking lot ticket isn't a good analogy. It's more like saying the woman that dresses provocatively is at fault for being raped (obviously extreme example, I know). It's not the fault of the owner if something gets stolen, it is the fault of the thief that stole it. The owner won't get charged with bike theft, the person at fault for the theft will.
Whether or not the owner could have made it more difficult is a different story, but stupidity for not securing the bike properly doesn't make it their fault. Besides, if the right thief wants something bad enough they will find a way to take it.

#133 ·
Well, the thief is a scumbag. But, the reality is, and it's a sad reality thats its to be expected in todays society, 50 yrs ago you would have no problems doing that (leaving the bike unsecured) but not in todays climate. You guys are looking for pittyful excuses.
Why you guys always bring rape into the equation baffles me, we are talking about theft, not rape, you cannot compare the two.

#134 ·
with that logic every body who brings a bike to a DH/XC/SD/4X.. ect race event should lock their bikes up when not in use. damn that would be a ***** having to carry a lock during a race!

#146 ·
<---- Shoots people for a living.

And, I wouldn't beat the guy. I'd use the minimum amount force necessary to stop him. Restrain him until the authorities got there, then let them handle it.

I have to imagine that dude's life is pretty bad already, if he's resorting to stealing bikes. Me beating the tar out of him isn't going to help rehabilitate him any faster.

Cheers,

Andy

#147 ·
<---- Shoots people for a living.

And, I wouldn't beat the guy. I'd use the minimum amount force necessary to stop him. Restrain him until the authorities got there, then let them handle it.

I have to imagine that dude's life is pretty bad already, if he's resorting to stealing bikes. Me beating the tar out of him isn't going to help rehabilitate him any faster.

Cheers,

Andy
LOL, Le Duke ''shoots people for a living'' ''And , i wouldnt beat the guy''
Well shut the thread then !!!!!! the bloke that shoots people for a living has spoken..:skep:

Le Duke, whats your quota for the week, how many people do you shoot a week? and is there bonuses involved ?
How many people have you shot Andy, and what do you do for a job that involves ''shooting people for a living'' im only asking because you wernt shy in telling us ..
What are you a hitman or something mate?:thumbsup:

#153 ·
#165 ·
Yes where has SV11 gone, he might be at Lance's place polishing his trophies or its more likely he is out looking for somebodies bike that is not secured so he can take it home and feel no guilt ...
SV11 where are you Tiger ?;)

#174 ·
All these bleeding hearts saying we need to rehabilitate this scum bag and not beat him.

It's not anyone's responsibility but that guys to want to "fix" himself. I surely won't be worried about his mental, emotional or physical well being if I caught him trying to steal my bike. This is laughable at best.

Second I would hope the police pressed charges on the bike owner if he had beat the guy to a pulp after he submitted. Here's to hoping he fought back AND then got beaten to pulp. Scum like this are stupid, ignorant people. The only things they sometimes understand (and only temporary) is violence. Agree or not its the truth.

He got what he deserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.