Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 210
  1. #101
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    bullshitt, poverty is the major factor in crime the world over.

    So I guess you have no link or statistics to back up this nonsense?
    give me some time to do some research.

    for now, here's this: California's longest-serving death row inmate spared execution | Reuters

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    give me some time to do some research.

    for now, here's this: California's longest-serving death row inmate spared execution | Reuters
    try this.

    List of United States death row inmates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  3. #103
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,003
    "I would like to see some statistics on death row inmates and drug use or trafficking."

    this is your question, which i am attempting to research.

    your wikipedia link is simply a list of death row inmates and a description of their crime. i think what tone's is trying to point out that lots of these guys who commit ultra violent crimes might have serious drug issues; that being a reflection of increasing (hard) drug use in the united states which in turn drives up crime in some areas.

    i'd like not to see this thread degenerate into an argument about the death penalty in the united states.

    ok, until i am blue in the face...the bottom line is that if you choose to take something that's not yours without the permission of the owner, you've also chosen to pay the penalty of getting caught--which in some cases, might be a savage beating at the hands of the owner.

    whether you feel that's right or wrong is up to you.

    p.s.: i'm having a hell of a time digging up any statistics on the number of death row inmates who have drug problems.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,834
    Who cares if they have drug problems or are poor; lots of troubled people out there not committing crimes.

  5. #105
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,003
    i might also add that the owner handing out the beat down chooses to face the consequences as well...there are two sides to this coin.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Tons of future victims in this thread. Guy gets what he deserves and people complain. Unbelievable the pussification of this country.
    This is a problem I have with this thread. I'm not going to go back an re-read the whole thing but I can't recall one person complaining. I have heard people argue that punishment, "beatings" like this don't really do much to deter crime, a valid argument (not that I'm agreeing with it!), and that people really should lock up their bikes, also valid ( and I am agreeing with that) or like myself- the dude did get what he deserved, justice was served (in this instance) and everything turned out great, a perfect Hollywood ending!

    I get it, I even like it, I just don't like the gloating, the rubbernecking, and the cheering. I joked earlier that maybe we should bring back stoning, and though no one has outright agreed with that I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some who might welcome it. There is quite a mob here that are verbally stoning the "bad guy" so it's not a far fetch that a few might pick up a few real rocks if the opportunity arose. I'm thinking of setting up an online torch outlet, the market seems ripe for it.

    Several have also suggested that we should adopt Saudi Arabia's model and chop off hands, etc. etc., but just remember all the other fun things that go along with their role model. Are we not fighting them because of their deplorable way of life? As flawed as our justice system is, and Ill admit that it is seriously flawed, I'll take it over vigilantism any time. If you play by those rules then some day you may find yourself on the wrong end of a rope.

    If this is pussification then I am all in.
    Last edited by J.B. Weld; 11-27-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: forgot

  7. #107
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,927
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Tons of future victims in this thread. Guy gets what he deserves and people complain. Unbelievable the pussification of this country.
    Since when does human decency = pussification?

    I am sure you lived a perfect life and never did anything wrong


    BTW, I don't think anyone is really feeling sorry for the guy, some of us just have enough human decency to get off and rejoice over the guy getting what appears to be an overly excessive beating.

  8. #108
    Tree Dodger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54
    One thing is for sure, that guy will never steal a bike again. Too bad other theives do not get more of this justice!

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    "I would like to see some statistics on death row inmates and drug use or trafficking."

    this is your question, which i am attempting to research.

    your wikipedia link is simply a list of death row inmates and a description of their crime. i think what tone's is trying to point out that lots of these guys who commit ultra violent crimes might have serious drug issues; that being a reflection of increasing (hard) drug use in the united states which in turn drives up crime in some areas.

    i'd like not to see this thread degenerate into an argument about the death penalty in the united states.

    ok, until i am blue in the face...the bottom line is that if you choose to take something that's not yours without the permission of the owner, you've also chosen to pay the penalty of getting caught--which in some cases, might be a savage beating at the hands of the owner.

    whether you feel that's right or wrong is up to you.

    p.s.: i'm having a hell of a time digging up any statistics on the number of death row inmates who have drug problems.
    Tone's comment was asinine and stupid as there have been plenty of people executed throughout Western history long before drugs even came around.

    Furthermore, there are plenty of people addicted to all kinds of terrible drugs that don't ****up and kill people.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moofish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    114
    Are we not fighting them because of their deplorable way of life?
    No Saudi Arabia is not at war with anyone in fact they are an ally of the US(I assume you are from the US)
    and really "deplorable way of life " come on.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i might also add that the owner handing out the beat down chooses to face the consequences as well...there are two sides to this coin.
    What, this guy is a hero?

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I hate it when people try to blame the victim, and am all for negatively reinforcing theft to whatever extent you deem desirable in the event you catch the thief. They named that price, and voluntarily took that risk, when they decided to steal your property.
    Yes, you need to lock up your bike. That's the sad reality of the world we live in.
    You shouldn't need to, though.
    Not the whole world. Ever spend time in Japan? I did in the military. Out in town, no one locked their bikes, and no one touched them. But on Base, I had my bike stolen by another serviceman. Go figure.

  13. #113
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    What, this guy is a hero?
    any time anybody chooses to lay hands on somebody else for any reason, you're taking your chances.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by moofish View Post
    Are we not fighting them because of their deplorable way of life?
    No Saudi Arabia is not at war with anyone in fact they are an ally of the US(I assume you are from the US)
    and really "deplorable way of life " come on.
    Come on, they're freaks that want to live in the year 800 (for real, look it up). We just kiss up to get their oil.

  15. #115
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    Tone's comment was asinine and stupid as there have been plenty of people executed throughout Western history long before drugs even came around.

    Furthermore, there are plenty of people addicted to all kinds of terrible drugs that don't ****up and kill people.
    Mate in developed countries drugs without a doubt in one form or another is the driving force behind crime.
    I live in a city with over 6 million people in it, who do you think are the people stealing cars, breaking in to premises, getting involved in shootings and homocide, these people arnt doing it to feed their families be cause they are poor, they are doing it because they have an addiction that makes them desperate for money and drugs.
    I never stated all drug users are out there commiting crime, if you bothered to read my prior posts im the only person here that admitted i was a meth head for 20 years of my adult life, and also an addict of a few other choice substances.
    I never committed any capital crimes, i certainly never stole anything either.
    Bet ive been on both sides of the fence, i understand the impact they have on lives, i dont need stats to state the obvious, its a no brainer..

    People who use heavy drugs who dont hold down a job like i did, have no other way to support their habit unless they deal themselves or commit crime, its simple, how else do you get your 1000+ bucks a week to support your habit? you tell me mate?

    man you gotta get real, its basically the biggest economy on the face of the planet, and its pretty obvious you know very little about it the machinations of serious drug users and the effect it has directly and indirectly on the planet especially in developed countries like ours.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Mate in developed countries drugs without a doubt in one form or another is the driving force behind crime.
    I live in a city with over 6 million people in it, who do you think are the people stealing cars, breaking in to premises, getting involved in shootings and homocide, these people arnt doing it to feed their families be cause they are poor, they are doing it because they have an addiction that makes them desperate for money and drugs.
    I never stated all drug users are out there commiting crime, if you bothered to read my prior posts im the only person here that admitted i was a meth head for 20 years of my adult life, and also an addict of a few other choice substances.
    I never committed any capital crimes, i certainly never stole anything either.
    Bet ive been on both sides of the fence, i understand the impact they have on lives, i dont need stats to state the obvious, its a no brainer..

    People who use heavy drugs who dont hold down a job like i did, have no other way to support their habit unless they deal themselves or commit crime, its simple, how else do you get your 1000+ bucks a week to support your habit? you tell me mate?

    man you gotta get real, its basically the biggest economy on the face of the planet, and its pretty obvious you know very little about it the machinations of serious drug users and the effect it has directly and indirectly on the planet especially in developed countries like ours.
    Do you live in Australia?

  17. #117
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,927
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMatt View Post
    One thing is for sure, that guy will never steal a bike again.


    When you're done with that crystal ball, can I borrow it?

  18. #118
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    Do you live in Australia?
    See under my name there, it says Sydney Australia, next to the word location, that generally means that the person lives in that place.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by moofish View Post
    Are we not fighting them because of their deplorable way of life?
    No Saudi Arabia is not at war with anyone in fact they are an ally of the US(I assume you are from the US)
    and really "deplorable way of life " come on.

    Yeah, that was pretty dumb- ever try and type a post while some kids are watching a show on half the computer screen, and others are bugging you every 30 seconds asking when they can have a turn? Hard to concentrate with screaming rug rats running wild.

    I was only trying (a lame attempt) to illustrate how people tend to cherry pick things that bolster their point of view.

    I know I'm not going to change anyones mind in regard to cheering the beating of a petty thief, and no one is going persuade me to join in the cheering but I guess its human nature to attempt to understand the other half.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644


    Someone said it was an overly excessive beating. I counter that with the fact that the article said there was a fight. That damage could have easily been sustained in a bare knuckles brawl without being overly excessive.
    Furthermore, the general line between self defense and assault is protecting yourself to the point that the attacker is no longer posing a threat. If that means you yell at him and he falls to the ground in the fetal position, then you stop there. But if you take a baseball bat to his head and he is still swinging, then you hit him again. If the bike owner did not carry it any further then getting the thief to stop fighting, then there was absolutely nothing excessive about that beating. Not that an extra punch to that swollen purple left eye would have been uncalled for...

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty dumb- ever try and type a post while some kids are watching a show on half the computer screen, and others are bugging you every 30 seconds asking when they can have a turn? Hard to concentrate with screaming rug rats running wild.

    I was only trying (a lame attempt) to illustrate how people tend to cherry pick things that bolster their point of view.

    I know I'm not going to change anyones mind in regard to cheering the beating of a petty thief, and no one is going persuade me to join in the cheering but I guess its human nature to attempt to understand the other half.
    Stop wasting your time on MTBR and go play with your kids!

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,849
    all i said was next time to make a point to break the thumbs.. don't know how that got turned into cutting off the hands? that would be outrageous! makes it pretty hard to get a good firm grab of the handle bar with broken thumbs
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

  23. #123
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    all i said was next time to make a point to break the thumbs.. don't know how that got turned into cutting off the hands? that would be outrageous! makes it pretty hard to get a good firm grab of the handle bar
    LOL , yeah thats the whole point......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Stop wasting your time on MTBR and go play with your kids!
    Best post so far!

  25. #125
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,927
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Someone said it was an overly excessive beating. I counter that with the fact that the article said there was a fight. That damage could have easily been sustained in a bare knuckles brawl without being overly excessive.
    A fight could be one sided.

    The thief could have just been trying to get away and begging for mercy and of course people are still going to say their was a fight.

    Still, if he would have left his hands off the bike, he would not have been beaten.


    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Furthermore, the general line between self defense and assault is protecting yourself to the point that the attacker is no longer posing a threat. If that means you yell at him and he falls to the ground in the fetal position, then you stop there. But if you take a baseball bat to his head and he is still swinging, then you hit him again. If the bike owner did not carry it any further then getting the thief to stop fighting, then there was absolutely nothing excessive about that beating. Not that an extra punch to that swollen purple left eye would have been uncalled for...

    Wrong

    Their is a degree of reasonable force.
    You just can't go swinging weapons around all willy nilly.
    With your logic, you could keep shooting somebody as long as they are not on the ground in the fetal position.
    Even if somebody is coming at you, hitting them baseball bat can be considered excessive force.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •