Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bike-thief-beat-down passion

16K views 209 replies 58 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
#179 ·
Had two bikes stolen out of my house in the '70s, identical Colnagos belonging to my roommate and myself.

A friend spotted my frame being stripped of its distinctive paint (my bike club colors) in a yard a couple of miles from our house, and tipped me off. My roommate and I arrived and found the frames, sans components. My frame was on the porch, reeking of Jasco paint remover. We entered without knocking. I told the occupant of the house that I was going to throw the TV through the front window if I didn't find out where the rest of the two bikes were.

He wouldn't tell us, but his girlfriend was terrified, and gave up a name, which appeared to cause some friction between them. It took us a while, because there was no Internet available, but we found out where the guy lived. By the time the two of us arrived at the house, it was late and the Tonight Show was on a TV inside. The front door was open, so I walked up the front stairs and tapped at the screen door. A voice asked what was up. I asked for "Andy," and the voice said he was downstairs in his room.

We walked down the stairs and around the house and found a downstairs door. The two of us walked in, in total darkness, in a house where we didn't know the layout. I called out, "Andy?" and a sleepy voice answered from what turned out to be a bedroom.

We burst in the door to the room and flipped on the light. We found Andy and his girlfriend both in bed, both naked. We told Andy in no uncertain terms that we were here for the bike parts. There were two of us and Andy was naked, and he had no resistance in him. He didn't ask, "What bike parts?" Apparently he knew which bike parts we meant. While his girlfriend cried and hid under a sheet, Andy, still naked, dragged a box of bike components out of a closet. We took them and left, and later found that we had more parts than we needed to restore the two bikes.

Since I needed to paint my bike, I contacted Andy's dad, who had been the voice that directed us to his bedroom, and told him I wanted a hundred bucks for my trouble. He gave it to us, and I took the opportunity to tell him what a lowlife his son was. He didn't have much of an argument.

Of course we reported to the local police what had taken place, but they said we had no business doing what we did, and that we were lucky they were going to leave us alone about it.

I heard that some years later, Andy disappeared and has not been seen since.

#180 ·
Of course we reported to the local police what had taken place, but they said we had no business doing what we did, and that we were lucky they were going to leave us alone about it.
Well I kind of agree.

Although your outcome was good, you broke the law to achieve it.

Think of all the things that could have gone wrong in this scenario.
Worst of which, the guys could have shot and killed you and they would have been within in their rights to do so.

Glad it turned out well for you but for somebody else it may not and a bike just is not worth taking those kinds of risks.

#183 ·
Door doesn't have to be locked to have it considered B&E

You entered the first house without permission and it seems you didn't have permission to enter the second house.

You terrorized and threatened destruction of personal property.
And it almost seems like you strong armed Andy's dad for $100

That just scratches the surface of broken laws and I am sure there were several others.

Not that I would steal a bike, but if you were to bust in my room like that, the outcome for you would not have been favorable as I am a pretty good shot. If the first people or Andy would have armed I doubt we would be having this conversation.

#186 ·
Door doesn't have to be locked to have it considered B&E

You entered the first house without permission and it seems you didn't have permission to enter the second house.

You terrorized and threatened destruction of personal property.
And it almost seems like you strong armed Andy's dad for $100

That just scratches the surface of broken laws and I am sure there were several others.

Not that I would steal a bike, but if you were to bust in my room like that, the outcome for you would not have been favorable as I am a pretty good shot. If the first people or Andy would have armed I doubt we would be having this conversation.
Cool story bro. I'm not reading all that.

#193 ·
Laws are for law abiding folks. I dont think I would have the guts to chase down the guy who stole my bike into his bedroom but my hat is off to RR for doing it.

I found a stolen bike of mine when I was a kid and tried to get it back. It was a mongoose bmx that was built for me by my dads friend who worked at a bike shop. We were poor and it was built out of left over and used parts so it was pretty easy to identify it when I saw it. I called the cops, they showed up said nothing they could do about it and it wasnt my bike anymore. So like I said, laws are for law abiding folks.

#197 ·
No, you didn't hurt my feelings. I've just noticed some general d-bag like behavior from you in a few posts, so figured I would flip you some shlt.
I wouldn't anonymously give you neg rep. I'll let you know when it's me telling you you're retarded.

I see you can't take it very well, so this could be fun...

#206 ·
I would have to believe this was your piss poor attempt at belittling me, by insinuating I am a child. For being able to "take it", you sure are whining a lot about one simple little comment I made. I let it go, but you just can't stop. Rather childish behavior from someone calling another person a kid.
U mad bro?

#203 ·
Another, less dramatic account. One of the employees at MountainBikes had her Ritchey stolen. A week or so afterward, somebody rode it past the open shipping door where the owner was working. We heard a scream, and saw Kim ran out the door. She tackled the rider off her bike.

Turned out not to be the thief, but somebody who had bought it off the thief. No matter, Kim got her bike back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.