Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bike-thief-beat-down passion

16K views 209 replies 58 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
#48 ·
One thing that could have avoided the whole fiasco-

If you find yourself at a convenience store with no lock just open the rear wheel QR. If someone tries to ride off their first pedal stroke will result in a painful and embarrassing crash. I found out the hard way how well this works when I forgot to undo my "trap" one time. :madman:

Admittedly it only works with horizontal dropouts but I find it a simple and elegant solution.

#50 ·
First, this thread needs to be a sticky.

My humble opinion is that justice was served exactly as it should have been. No need for cutting off hands or breaking thumbs or stoning and certainly no need for analyzing and forgiving, that can come later.

Reactions: Creeper
#51 ·
It's funny getting hate comments (via rep) because I actually talked some sense.
A lot of you seem to think we live in a fairytale, you people have no idea whats going on in the world. Thieves are here to stay, nothing you can do about that, but you can do something about being complacent. It was his fault his bike got stolen, had he had a lock, this thread would not exist, I think that statement cements my point.
He put himself in that situation, not you or I, it was him. Not thinking about bike security is irresponsible, sometimes thats what it takes for people to wake up and realise that they live on planet Earth, where thieves do exist.
You can go on daydreaming on ways to punish thieves, then come back to reality and realise nothing will be done about it, focus on prevention.
It's the card we've been dealt, deal with it!

#52 ·
First off, people who give bad rep for an opinion just because they don't agree with it are kind of childish morons especially when they don't have the balls to sign it and they almost never have the balls.

That being said, you are mistaking fault with responsibility.
It wasn't his fault that somebody tried to steal it however, it was his responsibility to reasonably secure the bike. His irresponsibility created a situation where a thief could more easily steal his bike. However, the fault still solely lies on the thief.

#72 ·
i am proud to have initiated a post which has ignited such um, passion.

regardless of where you are, who you are or what the social mores are where you live...if you take something which does not belong to you without the owner's permission, one assumes the risk of whatever happens to you in the future, up to and including severe beating/death/arrest.

if i leave my unlocked, unattended property in front of my house and somebody steals it, that's my fault for being a mindless lummox. but once again, the person who unlawfully takes possession of said property assumes the risk of severe beating/death/arrest.

we live on a savage planet in savage times. this means that sometimes people who commit crimes against others are going to be punished beyond the limits of our legal system. i do not support behavior like this becoming the norm in my community or anywhere else...but there are times that i'm going to give tacit approval to a beat down where a beat down is deserved.

#74 ·
SV11 if you believe that its ok to just take advantage of a situation irrelevant of morals as long as its to your advantage with no empathy to the victim then that qualifies you as a clinical psychopath. Try the Hares psychopathy checklist on yourself it may prove useful.

#75 ·
Ofcourse it's not, I have never said that it was ok, and I can see a lot of readers have misinterpreted my posts. Do you honestly think thieves give a fark about morals, or your situation, ofcourse not. The only way to beat a thief is to think like one. You can sit here discussing a cure, the fact is there is no cure, just like aids, but you can prevent it from happening in nearly all cases. Prevention trumps cure.
It would make more sense if you think of thieves as aids, there is no cure.

#76 ·
Theres a difference between saying the bike owner could have prevented the theft and saying it was his fault. He may have been naiive thinking it wouldnt get stolen but the thief is the one that made an immoral choice not the owner. A couple of black eyes and a few stitches are no more than most of us have done to ourselves riding. If he was permanently disabled or killed it would have been too much but in my opinion he got what he deserved. With all the inconvenience of the court system the owner probably got what he deserved, a little inconvenience for being stupid.

#79 ·
I think that while the guy deserved it, there's nothing cool about beating a guy up no matter what he did. Cheering a guy getting beat up isn't any better than cheering that a bike got stolen, regardless of whether it was an action or reaction. I give a big (non-broken) thumbs down to this thread, and I'm pretty bummed it's not a more popular opinion around here (kudos to those who do feel the same way, though).

#82 ·
Whether you like or accept it or not, human males have been fighting, punching on and dishing out punishment since the dawn of time, humans not only have the ability to talk and reason but also dish out punishment and fight.
Yes its not the best way to deal with things in most occasions but in ones like this its a perfect way to deal with it and in my opinion very ethical and justified..
If you think that its wrong to watch men fight and enjoy it your dreaming.
We love our UFC and boxing here infact UFC sells out in 1 hour, i adore it and derive a great deal of pleasure watching it.
Some men have an instinct to fight and enjoy it, i put myself in that group, i dont chose to like it i just do ever since i was a child, its called testosterone, and its a part of life for a big part of the male population the world over, always has been always will be..
You cant expect every one to share your opinion on this.
If a dude steals a bike and got beat up like he did here i think its great, id either be the one beatin him up or very much enjoying the spectacle....
He got what he deserved and in my opinion deserved more than he got...

#80 ·
yeah, because if you just slap him on the wrist and say, " now don't do that again" they will fully understand the repercussions for their actions and what could happen if they choose to do it again... much like what's wrong with kids these days, not enough Red Forman's putting boots in their azz'es ..

Reactions: cmg
#83 ·
I'm agreeing with both sides of the argument... MAYBE the beating was a little harsh... BUT...
About 20 years ago, I had a diesel generator shop in a BAD neighborhood on Long Island. One evening, a guy wandered in claiming he had just been released from jail and wanted to know if I had a job for him. I did not. Then he asked for 20 dollars for food. I reluctantly gave him ten and sent him on his way. now, for the next four or five days, he was around. I knew I made a mistake.
One evening, I hear a ruckus in my lobby. I run out to find the guys who rented the front shop from me for an auto repair business beating the **** out of the guy. They caught him breaking into customer's cars stealing stuff. He NEVER came back.
So, if the bike owner yanked him off the bike and let him go? He'll do it again. Will he do it again now? I bet no.

#84 ·
Beating up a thief because he stole your bike, will not discourage the thief not to steal again, it just doesn't work that way. If it did, I"d be on the bandwagon.
A good example is capital punishment in the US. Capital punishment was introduced in 1968, so you would expect in future years crime would be less. It's the opposite, it has been rising. In 1968, 517 inmates were on death row, in 2012 its 3170. So, if death does not stop people committing crimes, do you seriously think beating up someone will have an effect?

#93 ·
If you want to live back in the cave man days, go right ahead. The last time I was a victim of theft was when i was around 6, bike got stolen out of my backyard. Since then I refuse to be a victim. It has nothing to do with pussification, but everything to do with common sense. Lock it or lose it.

#95 ·
I hate it when people try to blame the victim, and am all for negatively reinforcing theft to whatever extent you deem desirable in the event you catch the thief. They named that price, and voluntarily took that risk, when they decided to steal your property.
Yes, you need to lock up your bike. That's the sad reality of the world we live in.
You shouldn't need to, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.