Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    V-Shaped Rut

Bike theft, one week after I got my new ride!

Yesterday I came home from the store and parked my jeep in the garage. We have a downstairs garage and it's easier to unload stuff by leaving the door open and taking it through the front door, which I did. I got everything but a watermelon so I left the garage door open.

Well, kids attacked then I had some work to do. Forgot about it so it was open all night. This morning my wife went down to throw away some trash, came back up and said my bike was gone! I rushed down there and sure enough there was an empty spot on the bike rack where my new 5010/solo was yesterday.

Nothing else was taken, my carbon roadie and singlespeed roadie were still there. Total gut punch, I've only got 4 rides in since building the bike up last week and absolutely loved the bike. What a terrible feeling. We live in a very good neighborhood but when you make it easy/tempting what do you expect.

Things that went through my head were that the inside door to the house was unlocked and I was actually outside deck camping with my son. My wife does know where the gun is and we have a dog that's good for barking at least. But he didn't hear anything and neither did she.

After that I was super bummed since I have been really loving this bike, and realizing that I spent over $3k between the base bike and building it up the way I wanted. And it's mid summer, primo riding season and I now don't have a bike and probably won't be dipping into savings again to shell out another $3k+

My wife then mentioned it looked like the back patio door had been messed with. I walked from the garage into the basement, turn the corner and...... there was my bike! Wifey starts laughing and says she was teaching me a lesson about leaving the garage door open. Oh ****, LOL! She got me, what a terrible feeling. Made me realize how much of a part of my life riding is and how something like that would REALLY suck.

Here's hoping all of you and I never have that feeling again!

Hooligan
    I must say that i wouldn't have appreciated that, and probably would have told her so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    I got a new bike in June, my first new one in many many years. First day I went for a ride came home washed the dirt off and put it away for the evening in my garage and I made sure it was locked. 18 years ago I had my mtn bike stolen off of the top of my car and have tried to be somewhat careful. So back to the story, I get up the next morning to go on an early morning ride only to open the door going into the garage to find that the new bike is gone. Basically my heart stopped and jaw hit the floor with a big empty feeling in my gut with me saying to my self wtf and other choice words. I checked the garage door and it was locked as were the rest of the doors into the house. Woke up my wife and she was clueless and went back downstairs only to remember my 30 year old son had been at a party next door and had asked me earlier in the evening if I could take him home in a couple of hours and thing is we had gone to bed. Well unbeknownst his mother and I he had come into the house (he does have a key) and he took the bike without asking nor waking us up to let us know he had taken it. So I called him and it took a couple of tries as I guess he was hung over and yes he did take it but it was late and he did not want to wake us up. Went the 8 blocks or so to his house got the bike and mentioned to him you do remember my ProFlex being stolen back when you were a kid and he said yes he did. I asked him not to take it again as when I went for it this morning it was gone and it did not bring up good memories lol. Guess what I am getting at is I know that feeling and it is not one I want to experience again.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

unrooted
    That's pretty funny. My wife is too sweet to do that to me, but I do stuff like that to her all the time.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    I would not have handled the joke very well, but I am paranoid anyway.

mtbr member
    Better your wife than some thieves. Did you get the Solo used? Just stock they are around $3k, even more so in Canada.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Better your wife than some thieves. Did you get the Solo used? Just stock they are around $3k, even more so in Canada.
    "I spent over $3k between the base bike and building it up the way I wanted"

He added $3,000 to the bike.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    "I spent over $3k between the base bike and building it up the way I wanted"

He added $3,000 to the bike.
    I got the base model for $2850 but added pedals, reverb stealth, WT 30 front w one up 42 rear, revelation and hg-1088 cassette. I haven't done a final total including the sale of the stock fork but total it's in the mid 3k range.

As for how people would take such a joke, it really depends on your personality and experiences. My wife knows me and knows I wouldn't get mad at her for it. I owe her one though, and payback is a *****.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    I got the base model for $2850 but added pedals, reverb stealth, WT 30 front w one up 42 rear, revelation and hg-1088 cassette. I haven't done a final total including the sale of the stock fork but total it's in the mid 3k range.

As for how people would take such a joke, it really depends on your personality and experiences. My wife knows me and knows I wouldn't get mad at her for it. I owe her one though, and payback is a *****.
    That's a nice build. Didn't know the Reverb Stealth didn't come stock with the Solo.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    That's a nice build. Didn't know the Reverb Stealth didn't come stock with the Solo.
    It does on most models. I got a low end build from backcountry knowing what I wanted to do with it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to hear you got ripped off big_slacker..

A few years ago we left the garage open over night, woke up to find my wifes Nissan Murano Stolen and the trunk of my car pried open and Infinity Basslink torn out and several tools and other things missing from the garage. Thankfully the thieves must have just been into a joy ride as they just dumped the Murano about 15 miles away after stripping most easily grabbed items from the interior and no major damage.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Slacker,
    Tell your wife thank you very much for teaching you a lesson that you'll never forget about leaving the garage door open. Then plan your revenge carefully and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Few things better than finding out that some big bummer is suddenly fixed. The end effect is that nothing has changed but we are instantly elated. Maybe a lesson that we should all appreciate the "current situation" more.

I have a detached garage with my bikes and cars in it. After having it found open after my kids or my wife have come back many times I finally put a wifi camera in it. If you are tech savvy and your garage has wifi coverage a camera is very handy. I can check on my phone if the door is open or closed. The camera will also email me pictures if it detects motion at night. These cameras only cost about $60 and while image quality if very mediocre, it's good enough for the intended purpose.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    My first call would have been to my insurance agent telling her to start the process as I have replacement value on everything. Then I would have been off to Art's Cyclery to pick up my new bicycle....only to come home and find the other one the wife hid!

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    My first call would have been to my insurance agent telling her to start the process as I have replacement value on everything. Then I would have been off to Art's Cyclery to pick up my new bicycle....only to come home and find the other one the wife hid!
    Then the jokes on her. But I wouldn't have liked it either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That was a good story. Your wife baited you pretty good. She really is a master baiter . Tell her she's now known on MTBR as a master baiter

In all seriousness, that's a wicked way to teach someone a lesson, even if it was arguably deserved. I was engrossed in your story. The title of the thread alone hit some raw nerves. I'm glad it turned out to be a good ending.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So, you can now go and have a ride basically any time you feel like; since you didn't have the immediate insight to order another bike already once you realized it was there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yea, that really is not fun at all. I kind of feel your pain. I just shoveled out a bunch of money for a nice new carbon 27.5 bike and UPS lost it. The battle to get my money back and then find another one begins.... blah. Hopefully mine ends like yours did.

mtbr member

Re: Bike theft, one week after I got my new ride!

My wife knows better. The panic attack that would have ensued from such a cruel lesson would not have been worth it. I do like the suggestions of a WiFi camera though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    My wife knows better. The panic attack that would have ensued from such a cruel lesson would not have been worth it. I do like the suggestions of a WiFi camera though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    I just got a WiFi camera yesterday. Setting it up is easy. But recording and storing on a cloud etc. is a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Take all her purses and shoes, throw them in a 55 gallon drum, pour a whole bottle of lighter fluid on it. Ask the wife to come out and "check something out". Take a match and throw it in the heap and watch her jaw drop all the while you are laughing hysterically

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Take all her purses and shoes, throw them in a 55 gallon drum, pour a whole bottle of lighter fluid on it. Ask the wife to come out and "check something out". Take a match and throw it in the heap and watch her jaw drop all the while you are laughing hysterically
    I'm actually liking the idea of taking her sephora outlet store's worth of cosmetics and faking some kind of 3 year old incident.

The good thing to come out of this, the insurance thing above prompted me to go buy a years worth of personal possession home insurance. I live below my means and am not a possession type of guy. But I totaled up the gear for my hobbies that I have an it would suck to replace everything. Bad.
    Last edited by big_slacker; 07-31-2014 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A little off topic but somewhat applicable

Last OCT " 24th " my entire house and all my vehicles burned to the ground, we only had minutes to escape the ragging fire as it started on the outside and went into the attic.

We're all standing in the woods in just what we slept in watching in horror when suddenly my youngest daughter asked " what about your bikes dad ? " I smiled and said " I still have you sweety

I lost a 2013 Carbon Flash, 2008 Carbon Rush , 2005 Stumpjumper and everything bike related over 20+ years . I ordered a new bike shortly after buying clothes. lol

mtbr member
    So, how long will you be keeping your wife locked in the basement?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    A little off topic but somewhat applicable

Last OCT " 24th " my entire house and all my vehicles burned to the ground, we only had minutes to escape the ragging fire as it started on the outside and went into the attic.

We're all standing in the woods in just what we slept in watching in horror when suddenly my youngest daughter asked " what about your bikes dad ? " I smiled and said " I still have you sweety

I lost a 2013 Carbon Flash, 2008 Carbon Rush , 2005 Stumpjumper and everything bike related over 20+ years . I ordered a new bike shortly after buying clothes. lol
    Glad to read you and your family are ok. Way to keep a good perspective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast