mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Bike storage passion

I am moving house and have a minor problem with selling bikes, in that I can't do it. As a result I have a few extra bikes/parts lying around and will need to get creative with storage/work space. I currently have 9 built bikes, 2 frames, 6 spare wheelsets, several boxes of deraileurs/shifters/cranks etc. I know I am not the only one with a few extra bikes lying around, what/how do you guys store your bikes?!? I would love to see some pics if you have them (and I did a search and got nothing, so if this has been done before, sorry!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sometimes it is easier to use Google to search. You can start here:

Google

Lots of threads.

EDIT: The link just says Google, but it links to search results.

mtbr member
    Put hooks in the ceiling about 18" from the wall and about 16" apart. Alternate which wheel you hang the bikes by and you'll be surprised how little space bikes can take up...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Bike storage passion-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354162996.420253.jpg

This is not what you had in mind?

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
    I am moving house and have a minor problem with selling bikes, in that I can't do it. As a result I have a few extra bikes/parts lying around and will need to get creative with storage/work space. I currently have 9 built bikes, 2 frames, 6 spare wheelsets, several boxes of deraileurs/shifters/cranks etc. I know I am not the only one with a few extra bikes lying around, what/how do you guys store your bikes?!? I would love to see some pics if you have them (and I did a search and got nothing, so if this has been done before, sorry!).
    You can make one of these for about $15 with 2x4s, dowel rods and a bit of pipe insulation to cover the dowel rods. Holds 4 bikes. If you move again or don't like them you can burn them for heat...

Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^ I like that! That is the sort of idea I was looking for, thanks!

Woahey, I did that at my old place, but have shorter walls now so the above will probably work a bit better, but thanks!

jrogs, haha, yeah, trying to avoid that sort of thing to keep the missus happy!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    You can make one of these for about $15 with 2x4s, dowel rods and a bit of pipe insulation to cover the dowel rods. Holds 4 bikes. If you move again or don't like them you can burn them for heat...

What size dowel rods did you use for that? I've been pondering on a bike storage rack, but I would rather make one similar to yours. What's the most weight you've had on each set of dowels?

mtbr member
    Only thing is that kind of setup is no bueno for the myriad of full suspension geometries we have today- if that's not an issue, then it's a sweet setup, but if it is...

I've moved several times and each garage space is different. I currently have 7 bikes hanging from the ceiling in my garage by J-hooks and three (that I ride regularly) on the walls. Studs are typically 16" apart, which is perfect for hanging on the wall if you hang them back to front. If hanging on the wall, it's typically best to try to do it from the back wall and not the side walls, as you'll lose a parking space (not an issue for me, really, since I just gave up my bay for the bike shop ).

I can try to snap pics later. Also search the forums- there have been threads on MTBR before about garage organization.

The "What's your shop look like?" thread
    Bike Storage in Garage
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005