Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bike snobs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bike snobs

I just got home from my weekly trail ride with my 15 year old Mongoose Maneuver DX 3.1 (1998). I figured that Iíll ride it as long as it can while saving for the mountain bike that I really like. As old as my bike is, yes it is heavy and yes it doesnít have a suspension fork but it still is able to handle my local trail.
    However, there are bike snobs every time I hit the trail. Some, you can read from their looks and others would whisper to others ďthat is not a real mountain bikeĒ or something like that. At first I ignore them and enjoy my ride, now itís getting annoying because itís happening every time I hit the trail. Now I feel like holding my passion until I get a real mountain bike. I know I should not be affected by what other people say but now I do.

This is not my bike, but this is what it looks like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Screw 'em. Ride that thing!

I build my own.
    Did you have fun riding?

... that's all that matters.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member

Bike snobs

I say ride it! Nothing is worse than being smoked by someone on a 15+ yr old bike when your riding a higher quality bike.... (You can guess how I know this) while not a snob, I got luck and fell into my current bike which I do not yet deserve. Otherwise I would be with ya riding a 20+ yr old bike.
    Keep riding and smile... It keeps them guessing

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm still riding my 13 year old FS URT (yes URT) with the V-Brakes (yes, V-brakes) and I know the snob look already. It ranges from contemptuous ("Ewww keep that away from me") to sympathy ("Poor guy...I have extra crackers just in case you're hungry) ") to thankful ("Thanks for making my bike look good beside yours").

As long as it doesn't make sounds like creaking joints, ghost shifting, crunch shifting, BB knocking and brake grinding, you can pretty much bike under the snob radar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not surprised you get comments riding that pile of junk.

As said above,let them say or think whatever they like.
    My other fork is a ''righty"

Team Chilidog!

Bike snobs

It's the rider not the bike. Go ride. let em hate. Not your problem.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    The best payback sometimes is dropping them on a hill or better yet, starting a friendly conversation while dropping them on a hill. Kill them with kindness and ride the hell out of that Goose!

mtbr member
    I love seeing guys (and girls for that matter) riding older, sometimes beat-up bikes on the trails. Shows a passion for the sport that a lot of bike snobs will probably never have.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

local trails rider
    I remember the time when this guy showed up for a ride:

He was the most skilled rider of the bunch we had that day, and cleared the pile of rocks where all the rest of us had to walk.
    I don't think that is what he usually rides on trails, though.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

thecentralscrutinizer
    Why should cycling be any different from any other hobby or activity? What you don't know is they were eyeing your bike thinking that they would love to make an SS out of it. lol
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Quit being so sensitive...what do you care what other folks think? If you are happy riding your bike, ride your bike. Like it or not, cycling is a gear-driven sport and lots of folks are passionate about their gear.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

ENDO!!!
    Did you here people making comments about your bike, or is that just what you think they were doing? Most people don't give a damn what someone else is riding, unless you show up on a group ride on a bike that looks like it is just ready to break. Maybe you are just a little too self conscious about your bike.

I think this board needs a place for people to go whine about other people..... definitely not a passion post.
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Man don't even let those tards eat at you. I am riding a GF from 98, and have been traveling living off my rig since 2004 in Europe. Broke everything at least twice by now but the frame. Just last year I started shopping around for a new rig and still have not bought one yet.

Just have fun, if these tards get in your way then blow through them, if you hit someone then **** happens.
    De oppresso liber

ragley blue pig x
    asd
    Last edited by manbat; 09-17-2013 at 04:04 AM.

mtbr member
    I don't think you were getting the "bike snob" look, I think you were getting the "that dude's going to kill himself because his stem and seatpost are way above the minimum insertion line" look.

AZ
    banned
    That "look" was concern for your safety and well being.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    bugger em, as long as you are out there and having fun that is the most important thing.

Big Mac

Bike snobs

Whiner passion? Man up and move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Whiner passion? Man up and move on.
    Sorry OP, but i sort of agree with mbmb65...

On a related note, I see threads similar to this one occasionally on this forum and i sometimes wonder; are other riders really ****-talking these "crap" bikes, or are the owners of said bikes a little paranoid what others think?

I know there are *******s out there, but i can recall soooo few in my brief 5 years of singletrack riding, and i havent run into anyone trash-talking really.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    I know there are *******s out there, but i can recall soooo few in my brief 5 years of singletrack riding, and i havent run into anyone trash-talking really.
    In fairness to the OP, this happens "every time I hit the trail." Which makes one wonder....

"Hey, what do you think of my bike?"

(group of riders at trail head): "Uh, cool...Ride hard, man...."

"You know what you're looking at? This is a Maneuver DX three-point-one. Mongoose. Guess what year?"

(group) "Uh...don't know, man. Looks kinda ol--"

"YOU GODD*M SNOBS! EVERY TIME I HIT THE TRAIL...."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I still have my 91' Trek 830 Antelope. It was collecting dust for a few years because of a broken shifter. Then one day I spent $30 fr a ss conversion kit. Best money spent mt biking. I had a few comments but most of them old school with many mentioning that they used to have that bike or similar one. Many wished they never got rid of theirs.

Remember one ride at Long Cane (SC) and yes I was the slowest rider but at the end of the ride two of the riders realized I was riding not just a heavy rigid bike but also a single speed. Earned some respect from them that day.

I d have two other bikes now besides the Antelope but i still take her out some times. Ride your own ride and have fun.
    Bike snobs-546219_3548675388456_1136589329_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I don't think you were getting the "bike snob" look, I think you were getting the "that dude's going to kill himself because his stem and seatpost are way above the minimum insertion line" look.
    As soon as I saw the OP's photo, I thought hopefully he buys a new bike that fits.

As far as riding an old beat up bike and passing a new bike: I think I provide this joy to some guy that rides a mid 90s Trek, wears a yellow jersey, and pedals his biggest gear at about 50 rpm. I live near a park with a bunch of single track trails. The park also has an 8 foot wide gravel hiking trail that circles a lake. After I ride the single track, I leisurely ride around the park on the hiking trail. Nearly every evening, said guy passes me (i ride a rip 9 rdo). I imagine it brings hims joy as he passes me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can't speak for you but I'm going to ride what I want and if others don't like it that's cool because I'm not asking them to pay for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    I still have my 91' Trek 830 Antelope. It was collecting dust for a few years because of a broken shifter. Then one day I spent $30 fr a ss conversion kit. Best money spent mt biking. I had a few comments but most of them old school with many mentioning that they used to have that bike or similar one. Many wished they never got rid of theirs.

Remember one ride at Long Cane (SC) and yes I was the slowest rider but at the end of the ride two of the riders realized I was riding not just a heavy rigid bike but also a single speed. Earned some respect from them that day.

I d have two other bikes now besides the Antelope but i still take her out some times. Ride your own ride and have fun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	546219_3548675388456_1136589329_n.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	831878
    Wow, that's an impossibly long crank arm.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast