Team Awesome

Bike Room Passion ruined by Jillwagon wife!

I have a problem.

I am moving into a house without a garage. Or a basement.

My wife thinks that my two fancy bikes should be stored in a closet. A closet! I think that is a shame and a disgrace and a sin against XTR. Not that I own any, but still.

I'm looking for some pictures of sweet storage solutions. I have 2 bikes, but will probably be moving into the 3 bike zone soon. XC Skis will also share storage space.

Help a brother out.

It's about showing up.
    Dude, listen to yourself; this is a girl who has given up a closet.
    I don't rattle.

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Dude, listen to yourself; this is a girl who has given up a closet.
    +1

Sounds like a good woman. Does she make you meals and give you back rubs? Marry her again if you can.

I Have Cookies
    Set up some storage in the living room or maybe the dining room or better yet tell her your gonna hang them over your bed......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

turtles make me hot
    I fixed my wife's ass. She forced us to live in a crappy rental house with no garage so my bikes and tools are in the living room.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, feel lucky. Mine wanted to relegate my bike to the patio. Fortunately, it's not assemble yet, so it gets to stay indoors.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    i don't know but do you camp?
    Name:  roomate-of-fail.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  133.0 KB
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    When I was in school and living in a studio apt, my bikes hung on the walls like the art that they were

mtbr member
    Omg, I totally get the "art" thing. I have loads of space in the living room. My bike rack with my MTB and road bike was banished to the kitchen. Cramped as hell.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

thecentralscrutinizer
    A closet is still a huge step up from being outdoors.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    my two bike were on the wall hanging like art when I did not have a garage. Now that I have a garage they are hanging like art in the garage!
    People make me mad...

High Gravity Haze
    My fiance' at the time informed me at one point that among other "married life changes" that once we were married the bikes would have to go somewhere, but they could not stay inside the house.

I quickly advised her that my bikes are non-negotiable and that if she had any intention of becoming my wife she needed to rethink her expectations.

One year later I'm typing out this reply from my bike room with 5 complete bikes. One of the 5 is her(now my wife) 2011 Trek EX 8 and she thoroughly loves it. Moving the bikes was never brought up again.

Nat
    mtbr member
    When we lived in an apartment my wife and I had something like this and it worked pretty well:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400245

Swedetarded
    Our house looks like a bike shop. There are literally bikes everywhere. We have.....

My Roubaix - I can touch it from where I am sitting in the living room
    Wife's Dolce - I can spit on it from here
    My Felt park bike - under the stairs
    My Jamis commuter - under the stairs
    Daughter's Trek townie - along the wall in the dining room
    Dauthter's Merida townie - along the wall in dining room
    Wife's GT townie - kitchen
    My Nickel - next to the piano.

Nobody asks why we don't own a car.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    dedicated bike / dog room, carefully planted seed, she thinks it was her idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Room Passion ruined by Jillwagon wife!-dscf2766.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Hey Surly an Instigator,

I like the bike protection system you have in place.

mtbr member
    I agree with your wife. You're married, not living in a dorm room. Keep the house nice and keep the bikes out of sight..

gringo-fied facsimiles
    Lol, you meen the tricolour trifector from hell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Room Passion ruined by Jillwagon wife!-nigelsecond-189.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by surly_an_instigator; 06-19-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I agree with your wife. You're married, not living in a dorm room. Keep the house nice and keep the bikes out of sight..
    Being married and having a nice house are not related.

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator View Post
    Lol, you meen the trifector from hell
    Those are 3 big dogs. We are still negotiating. We'll see how many husband points I have to give up to get an acceptable result. I think she is coming around to my point of view.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    ??
    A single guy can keep his place however he wants. A married guy (or a guy with room mates, for that matter), needs to consider the wishes of others. Compromise with others must always tend toward neatness, as messy people can learn to be neat, but neat people should not be asked to live with someone else's mess.

Whether you call it related or not, the op kind of makes my point for me. He wants to keep his bike in the open, but because he is married, he has a wife who is pushing him toward a more neat alternative.

mtbr member
    I'd jump all over the closet offer. Just think, you could hang hooks in there for spare parts, helmet etc, maybe a shelf for tools or whatever, a poster or bike stickers on the inside of the door, etc. Make it cool and be happy.

Team Awesome
    ?? but neat people should not be asked to live with someone else's mess.

Whether you call it related or not, the op kind of makes my point for me. He wants to keep his bike in the open, but because he is married, he has a wife who is pushing him toward a more neat alternative.
    Not to start an unwinnable e-fight, but neat people are, indeed asked to live with someone else's mess. It's called marriage. Neat people can learn to be messy just as easily as a messy person can learn to be neat.

it's called compromise, and it goes both ways.

And anyways, my solution is bikes in the mostly unused 3rd bedroom. Her solution is bikes in a closet. And tools, and everything that goes with being a cyclist and skier that actually uses his equipment and tools. I want a garage or basement, but we don't have either of those things.

So, back to the beginning, I'm looking for storage ideas, preferably clever, space efficient, home made type stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    Not to start an unwinnable e-fight, but neat people are, indeed asked to live with someone else's mess. It's called marriage. Neat people can learn to be messy just as easily as a messy person can learn to be neat.
    I don't think its equivalent. Asking someone to be ok with a dirty dish on a coffee table and socks on the floor is just rude. Asking someone to pick up the socks and the dish is not an unreasonable request, and actually benefits both parties. To say neat and messy are equally valid viewpoints would have to assume that a neat house and a messy house are different but equivalent. Not so. Do you expect a restaurant or hotel to be neat and clean. Yes, because it is better.
    it's called compromise, and it goes both ways.
    In my many years of experience, I find that the messy guy who expects people to learn to live with it, doesn't win, and only causes endless resentment. It's a bit selfish, don't you think?

And anyways, my solution is bikes in the mostly unused 3rd bedroom. Her solution is bikes in a closet. And tools, and everything that goes with being a cyclist and skier that actually uses his equipment and tools. I want a garage or basement, but we don't have either of those things.

So, back to the beginning, I'm looking for storage ideas, preferably clever, space efficient, home made type stuff.
    Have you seen those bike storage devices that pull your bike to the ceiling with rope and pulleys? I think that would work if you have tall ceilings. for a standard 8 foot ceiling, it probably doesn't offer much over hooks.

Team Awesome
    I don't think its equivalent. Asking someone to be ok with a dirty dish on a coffee table and socks on the floor is just rude. Asking someone to pick up the socks and the dish is not an unreasonable request, and actually benefits both parties. To say neat and messy are equally valid viewpoints would have to assume that a neat house and a messy house are different but equivalent. Not so. Do you expect a restaurant or hotel to be neat and clean. Yes, because it is better.

In my many years of experience, I find that the messy guy who expects people to learn to live with it, doesn't win, and only causes endless resentment. It's a bit selfish, don't you think?

Have you seen those bike storage devices that pull your bike to the ceiling with rope and pulleys? I think that would work if you have tall ceilings. for a standard 8 foot ceiling, it probably doesn't offer much over hooks.
    It is equivalent. Totally. One is just a preference. YOU might prefer things to be neat and tidy, but that doesn't make it better, as far as living quarters go.

I think it is selfish for either person in a marriage to draw a line in the sand and refuse to budge. Some people do, and then the other person has to change to keep the marriage going, but that isn't ideal. That isn't the case here.

I might mount bike hooks or something similar to the ceiling, but I'd prefer everything to be containable in the corner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    It is equivalent. Totally. One is just a preference. YOU might prefer things to be neat and tidy, but that doesn't make it better, as far as living quarters go.

I think it is selfish for either person in a marriage to draw a line in the sand and refuse to budge. Some people do, and then the other person has to change to keep the marriage going, but that isn't ideal. That isn't the case here.

I might mount bike hooks or something similar to the ceiling, but I'd prefer everything to be containable in the corner.
    Next time you check into a hotel, I hope you find an unmade bed, toothpaste in the sink and racing stripes in the toilet bowl. Then you can just tell your self that clean and dirty are equivalent.
    I feel sorry for your wife. You are obviously a stubborn one.

But I didn't mean to turn this into a philisophical discussion of neat vs. messy.
    Your bike problem is a real one. Without a garage or basement, is tough to find storage space for anything. I'm sure your closet space isn't in abundant supply either.

I guess I really don't understand why you would NOT want your own bike closet, but you could sell her on all the things she could do with the closet if you didn't put your bikes in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Living in a studio apt w/ my wife and MTB.
    It's hanging on a lean-to bike rack.
    Recommend this product as a way of keeping the associated mud/grime from being an issue.
    http://www.bikemania.biz/B_W_BikeTub...bw_biketub.htm
    Site is great for other storage solutions.
    Last edited by Hpirx; 06-18-2011 at 11:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Bike and bike gear in a closet will quickley become cluttered and difficult to retrieve the bike out of the closet.

I say all bike gear goes in the closet, also a good excuse to also buy a nice free standing tool box. The bikes should hang close to the front door on a wall rack or hooks in ceiling, that way the mtb is not tracking dirt into the home. Go to lowes and pick up a small piece of carpet to put down under the "bike" area so you have no worries with the security deposit.

Let her know that putting your bike in the closet would be like her putting the dishes in the attic. Yes it is a good out of sight storage space, but makes retrieving them for use more difficult and time consuming than needed.

You will be able to keep husband points by pointing out the extra time saved not fooling around getting a bike out of the closet can be spent giving her a foot rub or other "female petting" of preference.

In all fairness I had a bike mess in my living room this winter even with having a perfectly good heated garage. After a couple of months I started to get tired of seeing my bikes in the house. I mean as I am on the couch drinking a half gallon of milk and eating a full sleeve of chips ahoys I felt sooo guilty with the bikes in the same room haha. No really it was hard to keep it clean enough that I didn't feel like clutter.

One of those partition screens from pier one or ikea would help keep the sense of a "civil" living

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a partition (not sure what its called) in the living room, larger than a closet. At first the bikes went there nice an tighty. BUT when I had to retrieve them, it was a hassle getting them out and back in.

One day the wife picked up 2 leaning bike hangers for $10 each from Target. Now they hang out on each side of the "second" living room out of the way and easy to get to. Now the tools, they stay where the bikes used to be at.

mtbr member
    Hang them from the ceiling above your bed. That's better than a mirror .

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I have a nice house, 7 bikes in the "garage" along with a lot of weight training equipment. (It's a gym.)

I have a nice barn, 36' x 60' . . . stables, tack room, feed room, John Deere and implements.

Hell, I even have three extra bedrooms, an extra bathroom, laundry room . . .

Not married. So, see? They're not related.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My DA Roubaix happily lives in a closet

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    Love the title (the original thread was one of my favourites on mtbr).

I had a bike/cat room but over the last couple months I have moved the cats outside...

mtbr member
    Hmmm, depends on the size of the closet, but having a dedicated bike storage space in a small house is a good thing. I can see some great possibilities. If your wife is a whiz and inventive at storage and organizing, bring her into the process. The inside of the door can also be utilized for bike shoe and helmet storage. Go to any big box store like Target, Lowes or Home Depot and there are a zillion storage solution products.
    (Sorry, the Container Store is just too expensive.)

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    My DA Roubaix happily lives in a closet
    Closet roadie?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had the bikes in the dining room while I sorted out the security in the shed. Now they are gone to there newly alarmed, secured and lock strewn home and we have a dining room back it feels kind of weird sitting down to eat at a table rather than eating off a tray on the sofa.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    just think of those closet modifications you can do, mine were in the kitchen a short while then got kicked out into the shed, though fairly secure you cant beat indoor storage

mtbr member
    If your house decision is made and done, this is kind of a pointless post, but bikes are the tip of the iceberg. Not having a garage or basement is tough, period.

The only good thing about it is that it forces you to throw away stuff that is on the cusp (i.e. stuff most people should have thrown away in the first place but put in their basement or garage instead).

mtbr member
    man need cave for fire, food, shelter and toy

mtbr member extraordinair
    Hang the bikes from the ceiling in the kitchen
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    I had to Google "JillWagon" --
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mtbr member
    i currently live in a 4 bed room house with just my wife, newborn & dog...although i should have just "Deboed" a spare room for the bikes when we got here i didnt. i work on my bike in the living room when i need to, but my bikes & gear all have a cozy place in our 10x8ft walk-in closet in the hallway. works out. bikes hang from hooks in the ceiling, all gear has hooks on the walls, tools have a cheapo rolling chest that stays in there aswell. all the dog food containers, & few random items of course.

BUT i complely feel your pain, we are moving back north in 5 weeks into her families apartment for 3 months while i buy a house. this place is already PACKED...and they want me to put my bikes on the the porch in the weather in a kinda ghetto area.... NOT HAPPENING. so i just bought a ceiling rack to hang in our room above the dresser/tv for 6 bucks. i dont have enough posts to be able to post the link so just check it out at Harbor Frieght if your intrested. hope this aids a bit lol

mtbr member
    Duplicate

mtbr member
    Whoever suggested one of these had a good idea:

"El Whatever"
    This is a good thread... And it made me remember how much I appreciate my wife.

It helps that I ride since I can remember and she knows it. Bikes have never been an issue despite abundance or lack of space.

She knows that my bikes MUST be stored indoors (houses around here rarely have a closed garage or basement) and I know they must be kept out of sight. Usually we dedicate a room for bikes, my son's toys and stuff we don't use.

That room then becomes my shop and playground. It's most of the times messy, but then it's a space where visitors are not usual.

When a dedicated room is not available, bikes MUST be kept clean and in a corner where they don't disrupt.

Gotta love my wife!

BTW... usually visitors are pleasantly surprised at modern MTB's and find it hard to believe the disc brakes, incredible manufacturing and suspension. It's an eye opener for many or that has been my experience. But I agree that bikes should be kept out of sight if possible.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    OP: Rubbermaid makes a track hanging system that has a compatible bike hook that lets you hang your bike vertically on the wall. If you need to be able to tuck it into the corner, this would allow you to do that. They also have other kind of storage gadgets that work with this that would allow you to hang your other bike-related equipment together. Or you can cut the track short (There's a limit to the weight they'll support, though!) and hang just the bike.

Here's a linky: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...geOrganization
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Before we moved to our current home we lived in a smallish two bedroom townhome with no garage. My wife understood I would not keep my bikes on the back porch but asked I keep wherever I store the bikes somewhat clean and organized. This was my solution:

This is our home office with bike storage. At the time I found some wall hangers super cheap at Target so I mounted those to some leftover bamboo flooring I had in the closet. Better solution would be the Rubbermaid track system which would allow you to slide the bikes closer together once you hang them up. That system is pretty cheap at Home Depot and looks pretty nice as well.

If your wife doesn't want to see them you could easily make or buy some screens to block her view of the bikes. Ikea also has large fabric panels that attach to sliders for large window treatmens...you could go that route as well by mounting the tracks on the ceiling.
    Signature

Slower than you...
    To the OP: If you've got a back porch or deck, I'd recommend something like this:

It's $400 at Lowe's & you can hang a couple of bikes inside. Keeps 'em protected from the elements, keeps the wife happy & gives you storage for bikes, tools & other necessaries.
    Start slow, then taper off.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    We have a large bedroom, so my bikes rest against a quilt box at the foot of the bed. They look a little out of place, but do not take up room (she absolutely refuses the wall mount). Because of stolen bikes in the past I am very particular about where to rest them between rides. My wife understands my passion for mountain biking and commuting by bike. She also knows it is great exercise. Then again, if she wanted me to find another place for them, I would. She is totally kooool. Can't beat those Texas girls!

Now, if I could just get her to ride...
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I Googled "JillWagon" and I still don't know what it means.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWunderland View Post
    I had to Google "JillWagon" --

I keep Googling it and can't find a definition.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The female version of JackWagon.

mtbr member
    Try this thread:

My Ride today. Passion removed by jackwagon rider

If you read all the way through it, you'll understand what a jillwagon is.

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    or just read the OP and you will get the idea...

mtbr member
    But reading that other thread is so much fun...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    get a shed!