Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bike Rack in a Pickup Truck

Call me a dumbass... but I have never understood why someone would mount their mountain bike on a bike rack in the back of a pickup truck when the bike could easily be laid down in the bed...

I mean its a serious question because I see it all the time... I have been laying my mountain bike in the bed of my truck/s for 20 years now...

Someone please explain it to me...

I'm SUCH a square....
    Some people consider the stability of a secured bike in the truck bed to be preferable -- the bike doesn't slide around as you drive.

Oh, BTW...since you had the idea...you're a dumbass. (J/K)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    Some people consider the stability of a secured bike in the truck bed to be preferable -- the bike doesn't slide around as you drive.

Oh, BTW...since you had the idea...you're a dumbass. (J/K)
    not sure why we worry about a bike sliding around in the bed of a truck after beating it to hell on the trail..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Call me a dumbass... but I have never understood why someone would mount their mountain bike on a bike rack in the back of a pickup truck when the bike could easily be laid down in the bed...

I mean its a serious question because I see it all the time... I have been laying my mountain bike in the bed of my truck/s for 20 years now...

You must never ride with anyone else...

If you lay two bikes on their side and have them bounce around.... Chances are, you will cause damage to one or both of the bikes. Nothing like damaging the sanction of a $1,000 fork because you didn't take 30 seconds to secure the bikes.

On another note, I like the security of locking my bike in the bed of my truck when I run into the store to grab something. I currently use the Rocky Mounts Clutch SD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Using 3 fork mounts on my tool box and then placing 4 other bikes over my tailgate I hauled 7 bikes at once, all with no damage and no pain in the azz removing the bikes. Ever thrown 2 bikes in the bed? Bet it too a lot longer to pull them out then it did goin in. And a fork lock with a cable thru the frame makes me feel so much better when I go inside a gas station for a minute.

Ridin' Furry
    I secure my bike upright in the bed with two straps. Not only does it look cool but bike wont slide around.

~Regards

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    You must never ride with anyone else...

If you lay two bikes on their side and have them bounce around.... Chances are, you will cause damage to one or both of the bikes. Nothing like damaging the sanction of a $1,000 fork because you didn't take 30 seconds to secure the bikes.

On another note, I like the security of locking my bike in the bed of my truck when I run into the store to grab something. I currently use the Rocky Mounts Clutch SD.
    I don't always ride alone, but I almost always ride to the trail by myself... 2 bikes together may pose an issue.. I agree...

I always keep the derauilleurs up and I also have a brinks cable and a pad lock that I lock to a eye bolt that is attached to my toolbox... I think is much faster to lock this way than using a rack..

whatever floats your boat, I just don't get it.. I actually did have one of those fork mounts in my truck but I ended up never using them because I always found it faster just to lay the bike down..

drink coffee, ride.
    alone - laid down, with friends, in rack
    Toyota Taco

float that boat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    Toyota Taco

float that boat.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    Toyota Taco

float that boat.
    exactly... just ride

mtbr member

OK, dumbass (you said to call you that ), as others have noted, carrying more than one bike in the back is a problem for any distance that you wouldn't want to ride.

Also, by mounting bikes in a rack either in or over the bed, you get your bed space for gear. That way, you can put 4 bikes on the rack and 4 guys in the truck (if you have a back seat) and still have room for camelbaks, shoes and whatnot. And, on the way home, you can put stinky wet clothes in the bed and not in the cab, too.

That's just one reason, but a good one, in my book.

And as a bonus of having a rack in place, when I evacuated from the Waldo Canyon fire, I had 6 bikes mounted on racks plus a boat load of stuff I had room to take with me to a safe haven.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Wait for me!
    I have a fork mount on the front rail of my bed. I have a tool box in my bed and I'm usually carrying a four foot ladder in the bed as well. I couldn't lay my bikes down if I wanted to. I use a shuttle pad for my DH bike, but for for my Mojo I don't see any reason to add premature wear just because of neglecting it when transporting. So there's your reasons, dumbass.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    And as a bonus of having a rack in place, when I evacuated from the Waldo Canyon fire, I had 6 bikes mounted on racks plus a boat load of stuff I had room to take with me to a safe haven.
    Here is a pic of my truck when evacuating from Waldo. I think I eventually had 6 or 7 bikes in there with no rack. Worked fine for a short trip (8 miles), but I wouldn't want to do a road trip with all those bikes crammed in there.

WaldoEvac by bbaker22, on Flickr

I don't use racks in my truck. When solo, I just lay my bike down in the bed. Even when taking multiple (up to 3 bikes), I just bungee cord the bikes to the sides and front to keep them from banging around. I have considered getting the racks that mount on the outside of the bed to preserve more bed room for camping...

Bike Rack Adapter Kit | Softopper
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Lying or Standing, it all depends on how you rope them or secure them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a fork mount mounted to a 2x6. I then place the 2x6 in the slots of my truck bed up by the cab. Lock my bike in and go. If I need the full length of the bed, I pull the 2x6 out and go about my business. Otheiwse, it just stays in there.

The 5th knuckle
    Why can I not look at the title of this thread not read it as "gun rack in a pick up truck." Might be fitting actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Team Fearless Descender
    I like my truck, and my bikes too much!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    not sure why we worry about a bike sliding around in the bed of a truck after beating it to hell on the trail..
    Personally, if I damage something on the trail, "oh well", that's part of riding and at least I was out having fun when it happened. If something gets damaged on the drive to the trailhead, though, I'd be really pissed off.

Your right though, chances of anything happening to your bike from sliding around the bed are minimal. I did it for years in various trucks or wagons. A rack just adds a little peace of mind and looks nicer.

I like my Thule Insta-gater.
    Super fast to load without taking the front wheel off, although the (optional) lock is useless if your tailgate doesn't lock. I prefer a cable and pad lock anyway, so I can run it through the wheels.

Never Forget 9-11
    Previous truck I stood the bike up in the back and secured it with straps. Current truck has a camper top so I use a hitch rack. I just don't like it laying in the back bouncing and sliding around. Short of somebody rear ending my truck I think the rack has the least potential for any damage.

I've seen some pretty creative ways people transport to the trail on and in all makes of vehicles. I've been most impressed by the guy who made a mount to carry his on a dirt bike.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly29 View Post
    and looks nicer.
    I think we are onto the real reason... Sincere thanks for your honesty...

mtbr member
    Why would any biker spend $4000 on a bike then not have it sitting upright as he drives around town showing it off? If you laid it over, people might think you have a Huffy!

I use these with bikes with QR axles...and a pair of tie down straps with bikes that don't. Never had any issues with either. And tie downs are cheap and easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Here is a pic of my truck when evacuating from Waldo. I think I eventually had 6 or 7 bikes in there with no rack. Worked fine for a short trip (8 miles), but I wouldn't want to do a road trip with all those bikes crammed in there.

I don't use racks in my truck. When solo, I just lay my bike down in the bed. Even when taking multiple (up to 3 bikes), I just bungee cord the bikes to the sides and front to keep them from banging around. I have considered getting the racks that mount on the outside of the bed to preserve more bed room for camping...
    With 6 bikes, I still had room for 2 fire safes, some Persian rugs I picked up while deployed and lots of other stuff. The back seat was full of a Newfoundland and a Springer Spaniel dog and the front with a cat carrier and various stuff. Having the bed available while still hauling 6 bikes was a huge bonus; more than having it available for camping gear with bikes on top, too!

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

2006 Yeti AS-X
    To each their own if you ask me, I have a hitch mounted bike rack I use on my truck when I haul 2 or more bikes because I don't want to lay them down on each other. Plus, if you are on a long trip, you can use the bed space for coolers, luggage, etc....
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever have an issue with the fork mount style on rough roads ? Like the fork bending from being swayed violently back and forth ?

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Try shore style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Rack in a Pickup Truck-img_0183.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast