humber river advocate

bike lock passion

how do you secure your bike? what's your fav methods? what bikes do you lock up?

i leave rakes and sharpened garden implements strewn around my bike storage area. if you aren't impaled trying to reach the bike my ingenious hardened chain locking method creates an immovable tangled mass that will trap you. if you do manage to escape i would have a blood trail to follow...

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

pin it
    When I lived in downtown Toronto I had my first bike stolen from a locked garage. I then started keeping my bike inside the apartment... I had to lug it up and downstairs or in elevators (depending where I lived) and locking it . My bike was my most valued possession. Never had another bike stolen after that.

We always carry locks on urban rides and always use creative methods for locking up ... combination of locks, helmets, etc.
    At the bike park we don't carry locks but the bikes are not left unattended
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bottom line:

If you really value your bike it needs to be kept indoors or in sight if outdoor at all times. This requirement is directly proportional to the market value of the bike.

There are no locks that cannot easily and quickly be defeated. A quick YouTube visit will teach you how this is easily done. What makes you think every successful bike thief doesn't refer to this resource every time some new expensive defeatable lock gizmo appears?

I'm 55 and consider the daily portage of any of my bikes up three stories an additional workout. Way more than I can afford to replace so there's really not much choice.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I have a pragmasis 11mm/1m chain and a squire closed shackle lock. its the baddest ass lock on the planet for its weight. I always lock up to something extremely solid. It has to be thick diameter. I also run a thick cable through the front wheel and through the saddle. All thisw firts under the saddle in my mondopack xl (crap quality straps though, needed to mod it with aluminium plates to make it work).
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I have two ground anchors in my garage and a couple of Kryptonite chains and padlocks. In practice they won't stop the kind of thief who targets 4k bike inside people's homes, but they're what the insurers specify.

For my commuter I have a twenty year old cheapy D-Lock, but it has a resale value of lol so expensive locks aren't really necessary.