Dr. Porkenheimer

Bike Commute Drag

Sorry if I got anyone excited, but this is not about crossdressing....

On Monday I decided to bike commute to the park-n-ride station a few miles from my home. Hop on my ancient Hei Hei and soon I'm blasting down the slight downhill on the bike path. The sun is shining, birds are singing and I have the wind in my face - life is beautiful. Slowing only slightly, I turn into the tunnel underpass to cross to the other side of the roadway.

The tunnel is not lit.

A creek runs nearby.

We experienced heavy rain over the weekend.

@#$%!! Next thing I know the bike is stopped in 6" of mud the creek left behind. The bike and I are covered in wet mud and I'm a lot closer to the park-n-ride than home. Tried to clean things up a bit, then rode the rest of the way. Missed my bus. Next bus has a full bike rack, so I have to wait again. Arrive at work an hour late, with my dark pants polka-dotted with grey mud. The best part is that the gears on my bike are seized up for the ride home, as the cement-like mud hardened.

Isn't bike commuting fun?

life is a barrel o'fun
    Sorry to hear this

My bike commute is pretty hairy due to the two highways, one major boulevard, and an airport all merging in one area- a major hub to NYC.

No shoulders on the most direct route, and buckled sidewalks as the only other option. I have yet to figure out a good way to carry two extra-large coffees, as I've already tried (and failed) three times to transport them w/o incident. Even the extra thermos broke on me once.

Gotta get some panniers. My little rack trunk just doesn't cut it. Once, I was on the sidewalk while construction was being done. There was a lot of loose sand and a pile of large rocks. I braked and went to turn, but you know how that goes in loose sand....it doesn't! Fell down hard, but was able to get up and finish the remaining 1/2 mile to work.

Got to the bike rack, and realized that my keys had flown out of the side pocket of the rack trunk! Crap. So I rode back and found the keys among the pile of rocks. Whew. I've only got one copy of the key for my Kryptonite quad chain. Had I not found it, I'd be wearing that thing around my waist to this day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

commute drags...

I commute every day by MTB and even get to ride dirt/path most of the way. But i's that last part that's a drag lately. The streets downtown are nuts and since I'm on a SS geared for trail riding, I can't really maintain traffic speed. So ride the sidewalks. I try to ride slow and be polite when I get nears peds, but lately I've been getting hassled a lot on this one section. Last week some dude --walking with 4 other guys swung his arm out as I went by and tried to clothesline me off my bike (I yelled/they laughed). Then yesterday a very large woman yells "get the F-outta my way MF-er" as I went by like 5 feet away. Man, bad vibes everywhere in the city. Ruins the whole ride, ya know.

Gonna have to alter my route I guess........
    Porrick

life is a barrel o'fun
    Which city IS this?? I don't usually have a problem in NYC. Strangely enough.

swashbucklerette
    Mine's pretty good except for the last 1.5 miles into work. The road is a major trucking & commuting route, with no bike lane. So I ride the shoulder, which is a steep off-camber with gravel. Last week I crashed because my back wheel slid out from under me. The car commuters and truckers got a good show. Got back up, took a few jogging steps, and hopped back on (I'm on a CX bike). Thankfully the city graded the steepest half of it recently, which got rid of a lot of the loose gravel.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the source of pain in my right knee. I had to stop riding for a few days last week, and then I relized how much I missed commuting on my bike. I moved my seat back, and got in this morning with minimal pain, so hopefully that helped it. I hope I'm not starting to develop bad knees! I'm only 27!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

commute drags...

This is in Silver Spring, Maryland (just outside of DC). Never been hassled on my commute before, but this spot is around a big bus stop in front of a mall. Guess with the warmer weather, folks are just hanging out with nothing better to do.........

It's actually much worse when roadbiking. There are great rides around here, but riding out of the city can be a bummer. l've been cursed out, had stuff thrown at me, and have almost been run off the road many times on road rides. I'm a pretty careful rider. I try to avoid holding folks up, hug the shoulder most of the time, etc. Doesn't matter. Some people are just pissed off all the time and even more of them don't get the concept of common courtesy (on the road or otherwise).

Rant off.
    Porrick

jrm
    mtbr member

Why is it that when you flat its either raining

Quote Originally Posted by bykhed

On Monday I decided to bike commute to the park-n-ride station a few miles from my home. Hop on my ancient Hei Hei and soon I'm blasting down the slight downhill on the bike path. The sun is shining, birds are singing and I have the wind in my face - life is beautiful. Slowing only slightly, I turn into the tunnel underpass to cross to the other side of the roadway.

The tunnel is not lit.

A creek runs nearby.

@#$%!! Next thing I know the bike is stopped in 6" of mud the creek left behind. The bike and I are covered in wet mud and I'm a lot closer to the park-n-ride than home. Tried to clean things up a bit, then rode the rest of the way. Missed my bus. Next bus has a full bike rack, so I have to wait again. Arrive at work an hour late, with my dark pants polka-dotted with grey mud. The best part is that the gears on my bike are seized up for the ride home, as the cement-like mud hardened.

A Monday Morning or a Friday Afternoon.

You Are What You Is
    Hey Bykhed,
    It sounds like you just had a bad day all around. Sorry to hear it. Luckily, I can change my clothes when I get to work. I give myself a little wipe down with a wet towel, apply some deodorant, cologne and hair gel, and I'm good to go. Commutes can kind of suck if you have to cross major intersections or freeway ramps. I cross two freeway ramps on my commute which are pretty hairy, but after that it's all riverbed trail. A couple of times I've actually left extra early (2pm - I work 2nd shift) with my kids in the trailer. We'll stop by the park which is on the way, and play a bit, then on to work where my wife is just getting off, so she can take them home. It's a pretty good gig. Don't get discouraged. Commuting helps to maintain sanity.

beer *****es n' bikes
    To make your commute more enjoyable I suggest finding a pickup/city bus/cube van and skitching off the back for awhile. I was nervous about doing it at first but its pretty fun and most people don't notice/mind that you do. This is especially helpful in a 6 lane 40mph section I have to ride on my way to work for about 1.5mi. Just pay attention if the driver starts to switch lanes
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    I hope I'm not starting to develop bad knees! I'm only 27!
    I'm 21 and my knees are screwed already.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm my commute is good

Quote Originally Posted by bykhed

The tunnel is not lit.

A creek runs nearby.

I like bike commuting
    My bike commute is good.
    The first mile is on side roads, then I duck into the trail.
    This is a 6 mile long rails to trails trail in the woods.
    The trail ranges from cindery - like riding in sand to hardpack to mud.
    I saw the moon in the sky when I left my house and the sunrise over a lake towards the end of the trail.
    I heard the noise of ducks and the silence of a forest at dawn.
    The last mile is on a side road, but up a long hill.
    I have a locker at work and I take a shower, change and am mentally ready for the day.
    This is my first mountain bike and my third week commuting on it daily, I love it!

On the weekends I ride the trail north (work is south) and there are many singletrack trails in the state park off the side of the rail trail.
    I have tried 6 of them so far and they ranged from fun to scary.
    I have also discovered that I like to take long 2hour+ rides on the weekends...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Talk about commute woes...

I hit a car last week.

Thursday night, coming home in the rain on my fixie. About 2-mi. from the end of my 15 mi. commute, some idiot pulls out in front of me, from a side street. Didn't see my headlight I guess. I had no time to stop, locked up the rear and was sideways by the time I hit him. Put my shoulder and handlebar through his driver-side window.

Luckily not much damage to me or the bike. In retrospect I might've been able to pull off a hard-right turn and miss him, but it was wet, and there's gravel all over the intersections on that street.

Just got the air-horn I ordered this week. That thing kicks butt. I'm much less profane now that I can blast my horn instead of yelling profanities at idiot drivers . It looks kinda stupid and clutters up the bike a bit, but it's *loud*. Search for "Air Zound" on REI.com...

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Life Is Good

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    I hit a car last week.

Thursday night, coming home in the rain on my fixie. About 2-mi. from the end of my 15 mi. commute, some idiot pulls out in front of me, from a side street. Didn't see my headlight I guess. I had no time to stop, locked up the rear and was sideways by the time I hit him. Put my shoulder and handlebar through his driver-side window.

Luckily not much damage to me or the bike. In retrospect I might've been able to pull off a hard-right turn and miss him, but it was wet, and there's gravel all over the intersections on that street.

Just got the air-horn I ordered this week. That thing kicks butt. I'm much less profane now that I can blast my horn instead of yelling profanities at idiot drivers . It looks kinda stupid and clutters up the bike a bit, but it's *loud*. Search for "Air Zound" on REI.com...

-Trevor
    WHEN YOU CAN RIDE, AND NOT GET SMUSHED, DO IT. I MOVED ABOUT A YEAR AGO FROM A HOUSE I LIVED IN FOR 15 YEARS. FOR ABOUT THE LAST TWO YEARS I WAS RIDING TO AND FRO, SHOWERING AT WORK AND LIFE WAS GREAT. I USED THREE DIFFERENT BIKES "ALWAYS LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT COMBO OF SPEED AND DURABILITY", NEVER FOUND IT BUT IT WAS FUN. ONCE I MOVED, LIFE STOPPED. NO TIME FOR THE BIKES. MY LIFE HAS BEEN A FIXER-UPPER EVER SINCE. SO IF YOU HAVE THE TIME AND THE OPPERTUNITY, ENJOY THE MASSES OF UNHAPPY LOOSERS IN THERE CARS AND ON THE SIDEWALKS BEEPING AND CUSSING, THERE JUST MISRABLE, JELOUS ,TOO KOOL FOR THAT BUT WIPES THAT WILL NEVER GET IT. BE SAD FOR THEM THEY MITE HAVE JUST MOVED. LIKE ME
    FIVE MORE MIUNTIES,JUST HOLD STILL !!!!