Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bike Brands you Love

Offsetting the negative vibe of the other Brand thread.

Name some brands/bikes you absolutely love. Or like very much.

Me, personally, I love the quirky, against the mainsteam type of bikes. Or those one-man shops. Jones, Surly (maybe this is debateable), Black Mountain. I don't mind mainstream, either. I loved my old Salsa El Mariachi and would to get my hands on a Mukluk. Of course, all those custom builders (Walt, Eriksen, Potts, etc.).

mtbr member
    I have always been a big fan of Gary Fisher bikes. I have owned 3 and now currently have a Gary Fisher designed Trek. I know folks think of Trek as the evil empire but they have decent bikes.

Some of those small independent bikes seem pretty cool but I learned a long time ago that I need to ride a bike before I buy it and without LBS support that is virtually impossible.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I really like any brand that I have my leg over but in particular I like Specialized and Fuji
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '14 Trek Skye (Wife)
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez Compact

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Specialized. Both my bikes are spesh. Fact is, not many companies cater for the tall. Spesh is one that does in both mtb and road.
    They are a bit pricey but I try to buy them on discounts so no real loss there.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    I have always been a big fan of Gary Fisher bikes. I have owned 3 and now currently have a Gary Fisher designed Trek. I know folks think of Trek as the evil empire but they have decent bikes.

Some of those small independent bikes seem pretty cool but I learned a long time ago that I need to ride a bike before I buy it and without LBS support that is virtually impossible.
    Trek isn't evil, Specialized is. And yes Trek buys up small companies and turns them to mush, but so did most nations who expanded over time.

My favorite companies are Trek (I have a Cobia, might buy a Fuel EX 29er, love the Stache), Scott (I think the Genius is Genius), Rocky Mountain (They have a nice lineup this year), Salsa (Bikes like the Spearfish and the Horsethief catch my eye.), Cannondale (Although this year is not their best), Niner (The ROS and EMD are EPIC!), and last but not least, Marin. (Bikes like Rocky Ridge and Mount Vision are interesting.)
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm all in for Trek, love my Gary fisher designed marlin. If I get half as much good riding out of it as I have my 930 singletrack I will be more than happy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Surly! They have an uncanny knack for making me buy stuff I never knew I needed.

I do love my Transition Bandit 29 very much too, and Transition seems to be a cool company.

Also, I very much like Rivendell, although I don't own one yet. I'm waiting til I hit my 40's and get all retrogrouchy
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like fuji, felt and ibis. Those 3 brands I hv experience with, great one. Luckyly, no issue with warranty so far, so I dont really know their customer service.

mtbr member
    I like a LBS first, then I look at the brands they carry.

I've got a great LBS that carries Specialized, so I buy many things from them. I test rode many, many, brands of bikes in the $3000 range before I settled on a Stumpy FSR.

I use another LBS that promotes Felt, and I would imagine I will own a Felt before too long.

Why would I hate a brand because someone on the Interweb does? Makes zero sense to me.

I prefer to use my own mind and judgment when making decisions, but that's just me, yrmv....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    I grew up in Chicago, I missed the whole local bike shop thing. There just wasn't one around. Not like we could shop there anyway.

But, if someone were to ask. "what is my favorite bike brand?" I would have to say...

Motobecane.

My first bicycle costing more then $300 was a motobecane fantom elite. I remember paying $795 for it on special. That was the first bike I ever ridden on singletrack. All others up until that time were just rail trails and city streets.

I owned plenty of other bikes in between then and now. But, that bicycle started my trip into the world of real mountain biking.

Now for the interesting part. I've been doing other things outside of cycling and I'm just starting to come around again. I purchased another bicycle just three weeks ago.

Guess...

A Motobecane fantom elite. This time is a fatbike.

So, the brand that I started mountain biking with is the same brand I'm starting over with.
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    I've always been a huge fan of Specialized, I've noticed they don't make too many compromises when it comes to quality, and well, they did patent the FSR link!

A close second is Ibis, everything from the Tranny's of yesteryear to the Ripley are just beyond my comprehension of excellence...

Third, I'd say Niner, the scandium they use in the air nine is just awesome, and the ROS frame is something I've had my eye on for a while now... (yes, I know they didn't invent it, but dammit they can market it!)

Disclaimer: When I buy a bike, I buy it for the way it rides, not for the legal jumbo. And above all, I support my shop
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

Norđwegr
    Devinci: They build great full suspension bikes and offer lifetime warranty to all owners, not just the first one.

Ibis: They made 29ers fun, the Ripley.

Cannondale: Flexstays and the lefty, need I say more? Granted 2014 is not a good year for them, none of the bikes appeal to me.

mtbr member
    Surly for quirky bikes I never knew I liked or needed and bike parts that last!
    Salsa for flashy "normal" bikes.
    All City for urban & track type rides.
    Cannondale for their lefty shock platform.

Future wants:
    Moots or Jones Ti 29ers.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Trek isn't evil, Specialized is. And yes Trek buys up small companies and turns them to mush, but so did most nations who expanded over time.

My favorite companies are Trek (I have a Cobia, might buy a Fuel EX 29er, love the Stache), Scott (I think the Genius is Genius), Rocky Mountain (They have a nice lineup this year), Salsa (Bikes like the Spearfish and the Horsethief catch my eye.), Cannondale (Although this year is not their best), Niner (The ROS and EMD are EPIC!), and last but not least, Marin. (Bikes like Rocky Ridge and Mount Vision are interesting.)
    Apparently you haven't read up on what Trek.....in cahoots with Lance Armstrong did to Greg LeMond and his bike company. Almost as bad as the ridiculous business practices of Specialized over the years........
    That said, on a positive note......... Orbea for me. Beautiful Bikes, Great handling Bikes, Lifetime Frame warranty (carbon and Aluminum) and two re-paints included in warranty. I see no reason to ever buy another brand. For big travel bikes I like Norco. Funky cool vibe to their stuff, and they ride really well.

The Mountain Bike Life
    I have received the best customer service from Banshee and Transition...Banshee is my favourite bike brand....good guys putting out awesome bikes. Component companies...well I love Chris King, Thomson, Race Face and Chromag...all great companies who put out awesome product and stand behind it..love em!

beater

Bike Brands you Love

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    I have received the best customer service from Banshee and Transition...Banshee is my favourite bike brand....good guys putting out awesome bikes. Component companies...well I love Chris King, Thomson, Race Face and Chromag...all great companies who put out awesome product and stand behind it..love em!
    I'm not wedded to anyone, but I do like the boutique brands, where I can have a conversation with a decision maker. I don't flatter myself that I'm "on the inside" or anything, but it's fun for a geek like me to get a glimpse behind the curtain. Banshee, Canfield, Chromag, twenty6 and Niner have all hit that note to one degree or another.

As far as purely retail relationships, I'm a fan of DT Swiss. I expect to buy into the Hadley hype in a month or two. I also have a lot of friends on Knolly, and they seem as good as anyone.

I don't have anything against the majors, but there are a lot of cool people out there trying to make a go of it with some cool products. I'm happy to support that within my ability.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Yeah, the majors are putting out great bikes too...but I love emailing Keith at Banshee when I have questions...it's just nice knowing that the guy who designed the bike is telling you what's going on...it's piece of mind.

I am going through hell with a set of wheels I recently purchased and I am really thinking of going DT for hubs...or back to CK, I don't think I can go wrong either way.

26 for life.
    Yeti
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Apparently you haven't read up on what Trek.....in cahoots with Lance Armstrong did to Greg LeMond and his bike company. Almost as bad as the ridiculous business practices of Specialized over the years........
    That said, on a positive note......... Orbea for me. Beautiful Bikes, Great handling Bikes, Lifetime Frame warranty (carbon and Aluminum) and two re-paints included in warranty. I see no reason to ever buy another brand. For big travel bikes I like Norco. Funky cool vibe to their stuff, and they ride really well.
    Business is business and is never really that nice. With that said, what Trek did to Lemond was just wrong.

T
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Grew up in a Bridgestone shop and still have the MB-zip that I bought when I was 17 and the X0-2 I bought at age 16. I feel the need to buy a real Rivendell from GP one day, but I really like disc brakes.

Ritchey(still have my 99 Chicane) especially now that they are producing MTB frames with modern geometry.

I've accidentally become a bit of a Salsa fan-boy.... It started with a Vaya, then I added a Fargo(gen2) a year later, and I've got a 2014 Muk 2 on order from East Burke Sports in VT. Hopefully QBP will be moving to US production in the near future --->QBP sketches plans for a Minnesota-made bike | Statewide | Minnesota Public Radio News If this happens, I'll probably spend some more $$ with them.

I like steel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tws21975 View Post
    Grew up in a Bridgestone shop and still have the MB-zip that I bought when I was 17 and the X0-2 I bought at age 16. I feel the need to buy a real Rivendell from GP one day, but I really like disc brakes.

Ritchey(still have my 99 Chicane) especially now that they are producing MTB frames with modern geometry.

I've accidentally become a bit of a Salsa fan-boy.... It started with a Vaya, then I added a Fargo(gen2) a year later, and I've got a 2014 Muk 2 on order from East Burke Sports in VT. Hopefully QBP will be moving to US production in the near future --->QBP sketches plans for a Minnesota-made bike | Statewide | Minnesota Public Radio News If this happens, I'll probably spend some more $$ with them.

I like steel.
    Great article on QBP. Thanks for sharing.

How much further ???
    Transition, Knolly, Chris King
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Live Dirty!
    Kona & Titus. I started off riding a Kona as my first "serious" MTB, and then it was the first full suspension bike I bought. I still have both of them. A few years ago I built up a Motolite when those frames were on clearance. I have had so much fun on that bike.

Gotta pay to play
    I've always loved GT- since the BMX PRO! magazine days. I loved my Peace Frame.

I really love Jeff Jones. Nothing better than being able to call the builder up and have a great conversation with him. His steel diamond frame is really a great deal and I couldn't be happier with the Spaceframe he built for me. I seriously have dreams about riding it every night.

Anyone building a steel frame bike at a reasonable price is worth loving.

EMBA Member
    My Santa Cruz Tallboy Ltc is hands down and by a significant margin the best bike I've ever ridden, and the other Santa Cruz bikes I've demo'd were also outstanding. I haven't been on a 5010 yet, but I expect more of the same. My Tallboy was worth every penny I spent on it.

Of the other brands I've demo'd and/or owned, I thought the Rocky Mountain bikes were really good, and was also impressed by Transition bikes. If I was tight on cash, I'd probably buy a Transition as I thought the bang/buck equation worked out really well for their rides.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast