Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    unrooted

Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???

I am about to build up a new bike, Banshee Prime in Raw. Normally I just get black and silver components, but I was thinking about doing a few accent parts in green.

I'm thinking Green headset spacers, Green grips, green seatpost collar and bottom bracket.

Hopefully not too overboard so I don't look like 90's purple anodized craze:http://www.retrobike.co.uk/images/storm26.jpg

When you see a bike on the trail that has too many anodized parts do you get excited, or roll your eyes???
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If it's done tasteful and the shade of the accents match it can be cool.

I have a white bike with a blue Hope front caliper adapter, seat collar, stem spacers, and QR for the rear wheel. Along with blue grip collars, blue flats, a blue handlebar and a seat with a touch of blue.

It's clean IMO, I dislike seeing multiple colors for those parts or shades that vary so much it looks tacky. I also like certain builds with black or like colors It all depends.

Edit-that pic you posted shows how I dislike non similar colors when they should match more and I don't like the same color Accents as the frame to me that looks gaudy.

unrooted
    Yeah, the shade thing bugs me too, and for green there are a lot of variances! Probably just buy some of the same brands if I can.

Too bad those little parts add up to be so much, it would be sweet to have the four or so parts in various color sets (orange, black, green, blue, red, purple).

For a cheap seatpost clamp, headset spacer, bottom bracket, grips you're looking at $80-$100, which are parts I don't ever have to replace (except grips).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think that is a good idea, and green would look good. Plus the fact you are getting it
    raw any color will go with it.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Since I'm a grey on grey with grey accents kind of guy I'm probably not the right person to add here, but that never stops anyone else so here goes.

I like the accent flash on other bikes, even my on my bike I found blue accented eggbeaters that match the lockout lever on my fork to be an attractive but not superfluous addition. Although I'm minimalistic in nature, I always think the rasta-themed stem spacers look cool and I've always wanted to do a red/blue/silver alloy spoke nipple wheelset. I think you gotta build what you want and if someone doesn't like it you can always ride faster so they don't have to look at it.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I'm all for accent colours - it's a big part of what makes a bike "yours".

You don't need a ton to make a big impact especially if your starting canvas is black.

My most recent build was accented in red (headset, clamp, BB and FR. Der clamp (not installed yet) on naked Ti. What helped my accent decision was that builder sticker on the frame stating its Canadian origin (red) and the components I was going to hang from the bike have red details as well.

I know this example is road but every time I build a bike, I spend time on those smaller details.

I vote accent - 100%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-bike.jpg  

Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-steer.jpg  

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My blue accents to match the blue on the frame.

mtbr member
    Depends.
    I like stealth.

Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-image.jpg

But then I also like anno accents.
    Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Love the flats on that!

mtbr member
    I'm usually a black on black color scheme guy, but now I've got a stumpy evo that is matte black frame with green accents. I've received many complements on the bike. If I see someone with mismatched color components, I assume they have carried them over to their next frame.

Front Range, Colorado
    O.P.
    Who gives a a rats ass what others think. Style it to your liking it's your bike.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Powdercoat>annodizing
    Especially if the raw frame is more Matt than glossy

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    O.P.
    Who gives a a rats ass what others think. Style it to your liking it's your bike.
    I agree with this 100% and feel everyone should live by this but, in this case, the OP asked for some thoughts.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    I did not read every post, so apologies if I've repeated anything.

I think a stealth bike looks cool...but gets boring. There is also a point where there can be too many accent parts or colors. I've always done my bikes simple, but unique. Had an SS mtb that was black with green rims, grips and cable housing. Had a FG mtb that was grey with red decals, cables and bottle cage. And my current bike (Surly Krampus) is a sparkly green with ano gold accent bits. I chose to go very simple on the gold, not entirely noticeable, but still looking good without being over the top. I went with gold grip lock rings, gold seatpost clamp, gold derailleur pulley wheels and gold braze-on frame bolts.

I like ano bits that match on a bike, but too much becomes annoying, to me anyway. I like to keep things simple.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I find little pops of color nice and fun.
    Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-img_5147-m.jpg

The bolts are not that expensive, but things like the bottom bracket are..
    Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-img_5146-m.jpg

Or a little more involve.

Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???-img_4515-m.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I like a little color, if it matches. FWIW, I wanted green anno accents on my dirt jumper, but ended up finding too many variances in color - some lime green, some dark, and all different shades. I ended up going with lime green but not anno. Green grips, cable housing, bashguard, and powdered flat pedals. Rest of the bike is black and white.

mtbr member
    tell me this isn't 1 of the prettyest bikes you have ever seen http://dirtragmag.com/userfiles/nakedloonie-1.jpg
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Bicycle Obsessed
    Naked Bikes are the cat's ass!

Type A
    I know it's a stereotype, but in my 20+ years of mountain biking, I have never come across a mountain biking badass on a bling bike. More often, they have been on total beaters or trashed bikes. It might have to do with the psychological make up that makes one worry about how something looks vs. excelling at a skill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    I know it's a stereotype, but in my 20+ years of mountain biking, I have never come across a mountain biking badass on a bling bike. More often, they have been on total beaters or trashed bikes. It might have to do with the psychological make up that makes one worry about how something looks vs. excelling at a skill.
    Their bikes are trashed from riding the hell out of them.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Generally prefer stealth.

SPP
    Rigid.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    I'm usually a black on black color scheme guy, but now I've got a stumpy evo that is matte black frame with green accents. I've received many complements on the bike. If I see someone with mismatched color components, I assume they have carried them over to their next frame.
    I got my '14 stumpy expert evo in all black. it came with a pack of 6 different decal sets. I opted for cyan and threw on some matching RaceFace shock boots, SixC bars and Strafe grips. TASTY! Really makes the bike stick out in photos.

Si vales, valeo.

Re: Bike: Accent colors or full stealth???

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    O.P.
    I give 2 rats asses what others think, that is why I asked!

For now I'm just buying a green bottom bracket and grips (ergon GA1's) because they are the few things I actually need, otherwise it will be all black components, If I like the green still in a few months (after I pay this bike off) I'll get a few other items.

Wonder if I'm strong enough to go from a 30t front ring to a 34??? Then I could get a green race face ring, but the color might be a bit off. . .

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    I've always said that if you can't be fast you should at least be pretty!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast