Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is a bicycle a good investment?

I'm guessing most would say no, and would instead advise placing your money in stocks, real estate, comic books or Cabbage patch dolls for a much better return. Bikes should be thought of as tools, disposable, toys, an expensive hobby- all of which are pretty much the opposite of an investment.

In 1984 I purchased a Schwinn Paramount frame and a Dura-Ace parts group. I was working in a bike shop so I got it for wholesale cost but it was still a ridiculous amount of money. I forget the total bill (probably because I really didn't want to think about it) but as I recall it was closing in on the $1000 mark. An absolutely insane amount of cash.

I rode that bike every day, for years. I logged thousands of miles on it, learned to race with it, commuted to work on it, went on 4 hour "gravel grinds" with it, got addicted to mountain biking because of it, and cemented a lifelong passion for cycling with that bicycle.

Years went by and I had many others, the Schwinn got neglected and began to collect dust so I gave it to a friend to use as a beater/commuter. When he was no longer using it he returned it, coincidentally at the precise time my 16 year old son had grown tall enough to fit on it (nearly) perfectly.

My son has really liked bikes for awhile- road and mountain alike but I am now beginning to see the signs of a hardcore addict, and I couldn't be happier about it.

This bicycle has been one of the best investments I've ever made.

Is a bicycle a good investment?-paramount-2.jpg

mtbr member
    if you plan on using the bike as commuter it could be an investment as far as saving money on fuel and insurance.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    From an investment strategy probably not the best place to put your money. I am always dreaming about what I want to buy next lol.

I like to think it is an good investment in my future health. Unless I crash.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Being healthier = longer life (most of the time) = longer earning potential so....Yes! I thinks it's a great investment.

Buying bikes for the family = most time spent together = tighter knit family and longer lasting relationships and good health habits so...Yes! I thinks it's a great investment.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definitely not a solid financial investment, heh. Nice story.

mtbr member
    Invest in happiness...

SPP
    Rigid.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    I kept on reading hoping to read that you sold the bike on ebay/CL for $5k at the end. That would have been a good excuse for me to buy another bike. You disappoint me!

Good story there. Must be fun to see your own kid taking up the same hobby you love.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I kept on reading hoping to read that you sold the bike on ebay/CL for $5k at the end. That would have been a good excuse for me to buy another bike. You disappoint me!

Good story there. Must be fun to see your own kid taking up the same hobby you love.
    My boy and I ride a lot together. He loves it and I look forward to him buying/breaking his own @#%^!!!
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I see what you did there.

I hate it when people use words like "investment" to talk about bikes because I think their value as a piece of property is pretty poor, and tends to drop like a rock right after purchase. So in that sense, they're a pretty ass investment.

However, it's been worthwhile to me to throw a fair amount of money at bikes, even at times when I was scraping by. If the ROI you're hoping for is access to this awesome sport... they do a lot better.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Cool story. Cool bike.

mtbr member
    I think if you look at it dollars per smile, they are a better investment than any other "hobby" I have tried.

Chad

official eMpTyBRain
    Buying AND riding a bike is an investment in your health. One of the best investments you'll ever make. Stop looking at the world through the blinding goggles of money. Think about your health. Without that, it wouldn't matter how much money you had.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    if you plan on using the bike as commuter it could be an investment as far as saving money on fuel and insurance.
    ... or public transportation tickets.
    I am NOT going to commute to town center by car, and get into the bother and cost of parking there.

I count the cost of new brake pads and chains for my "town bike" in bus tickets.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Lord Thunderbottom
    It's an investment in your physical and mental health, bikes are actually pretty cheap when you consider what they do for you, even if you buy really nice ones
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Give it a crank
    Money goes in, so many benefits come out. A bicycle is a great investment, even when you lose money.

Competent User

Is a bicycle a good investment?

Seriously though, comic books are a bad investment.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I'd say it pays off the first time you ride it and smile.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It's not about money.

An investment in a bicycle is an investment in things much much greater.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like you got more than your money's worth. Great investment!

mtbr member
    Yes, but only if you ride it and share it with others. A fortune in smiles and well-being, which one can only try to attempt to purchase with coin or barter for with goods. You sir made your fortune and shared it with others. Indeed, the answer to your query flowed from your fingers and was posted for all.... and it is true.
    No fuss with the MUSS

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Bikes are like cars - you buy it then they depreciate if you are simply talking about selling them after you buy them. You won't get what you paid the bike shop for the bike so no it is not a good investment if you want to buy a bike and turn around and resell it.

For health reasons, the bike is one of the best investments you can make - you get a great workout and have alot of fun at the same time - beats spinning in a basement watching TV in my opinion.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Trailhead Poseur
    Even if you think of "investment" solely in monetary terms, there may still be some benefit. Health improvements from cycling would reduce medical expenditure and increase income potential due to fewer missed days of work. Whether that's enough for a positive return on investment I'm not smart enough to answer, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Salespeople have been pushing the "investment" lingo for decades for everything from cars to steak knives, so if it helps you convince yourself to spend and extra grand for a better bike that's fine. Buy a bike and enjoy yourself or invest and reap the rewards, six of one, half dozen of another.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Cool story! Thanks for the hit!
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bicycles are assets with many benefits and smaller operating expense than a motor vehicle over its useful life.

Many people on the sell side of non-financial industries to use the term, investment, loosely to help them sell big ticket products (i.e.- car sales man, lbs)

Investment means an asset that is purchased with the expectation to derive future monetary gain (bikes usually depreciate after purchase unless you are speculating collectibles). Or, an asset that is not consumed when purchased but to be used for future production of goods/services (bikes are usually purchased to be used and cannot be used to produce other goods/services, unless you use it to power your blender in your smoothie business or your factory).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast