You Are What You Is

Best Ride in Monterey area?

I'm taking the family on a little 4-day getaway to Monterey on April 9th. And you KNOW I'm taking my bike (I contemplated taking 2 bikes). I'm not going to have a lot of ride time but I can probably sneak out for a couple of early morning rides before my lazy kids wake up. What are the best options for good singletrack? I know I could ride the Sea Otter course as it should even be marked by then, but are there any other gems that I should know about? I'm still deciding whether to take the 5 Spot or the SS, and maybe throw in the road bike for a cruise down the 17-mile drive at sunrise...hmmmmm. If you want to keep the info on the down-low you can email me: katiaprice23 at yahoo dot com. I can't believe I'm going to miss the Sea Otter Classic by a week. Oh well, such is life.

Thanks,
    Jon

Ride what you want!!
    Well, Sea Otter/Fort Ord has the known trails, (the trials I know), but if you have/bring your road bike, there is a really nice road ride from one of the downtown hotels every sat/sun. It goes through 17mile drive and has an A and B group so you can pick your poison.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Hella Olde
    As a Peninsula native, I must inform you that the place officailly sucks for off-road riding.
    It's Fort Ord or Mt Snoro

sorry

my church is the woods

nope, no trails on there...

maybe if you try heading up Forest ave. from pacific grove, past the Safeway at the top of the hill, go another 1/4 mile an look on the right. I don't know now, but their used to be some nice trails between there and pebble beach.

not enough gears
    Jan 2004
    hmm...looks like it's time to plug my 'hood again. Ft. Ord has plenty of great riding; don't let all the sand and the Army fool you. The Sea Otter course probably won't be marked by the 9th, but the course maps are on the Web and if you also grab a trail map from one of the billboards, then you shouldn't have too much trouble. The Sea Otter XC is probably the best place to start for getting to know the area, but there's plenty of other trails too. Park on Portola Rd. off of Reservation if you want to ride Sea Otter, or further down Reservation at the East Garrison Gate if you want to do a tamer ride through the old army base. Toro Park should be open right now too, but I don't know anything more about it than the trail reviews on mtbr. I could probably show you some trails as long as you're not riding on a Wednesday.

jct
    mtbr member

pebble

those trails are still there. park off of Hwy 68 right at the construction entrance in between Pacific Grove and Hwy 1. lots of good downhill rides...short but you can get many laps in and hit some multiple times. ask the kids with freeride bikes where to go...they are all pretty cool and will show you the goods. great for a quick fix...SS will work fine. also, bring the road bike to ride 17 mile!!!

thrive,
    josh

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    maybe if you try heading up Forest ave. from pacific grove, past the Safeway at the top of the hill, go another 1/4 mile an look on the right. I don't know now, but their used to be some nice trails between there and pebble beach.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G
    hmm...looks like it's time to plug my 'hood again. Ft. Ord has plenty of great riding; don't let all the sand and the Army fool you. The Sea Otter course probably won't be marked by the 9th, but the course maps are on the Web and if you also grab a trail map from one of the billboards, then you shouldn't have too much trouble. The Sea Otter XC is probably the best place to start for getting to know the area, but there's plenty of other trails too. Park on Portola Rd. off of Reservation if you want to ride Sea Otter, or further down Reservation at the East Garrison Gate if you want to do a tamer ride through the old army base. Toro Park should be open right now too, but I don't know anything more about it than the trail reviews on mtbr. I could probably show you some trails as long as you're not riding on a Wednesday.
    Thanks everyone for the info. I emailed someone with Sea Otter and they said that the XC course was being marked on April 6th but the DH course wouldn't be ready by then. It looks like I'll probably just do the Otter course one day, and the 17-mile another day.

jrm
    mtbr member

Is there a trailhead @ SR 68 and Reservation Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G
    At the East end of Fort Ord. Will this connect to Laguna Seca and all of Fort ord.? thanks.

mtbr dismember

Fort Ord Maps

I have the large complete Ft. Ord map and several other route maps for rides I've done there. There are several ways to go in and do the Sea Otter course. I like to start from Hwy 68.

not enough gears
    Jan 2004
    You can get to Sea Otter/Laguna Seca from East Garrison, but there's a couple big-ass paved road climbs in between. Not really worth it with big tires.

not enough gears
    Jan 2004

whoops...

didn't read your whole post. Get off of 68 onto Reservation, then park on Portola Road. You can download the trail map from several different websites, and it will show you exactly where to park. From there, go from trail 33 to 39 (I think) to 5, and then you're at the middle of Sea Otter.

mtbr dismember

Yes

Check the map on my site. Stay on 68 and turn into the parking area near the south end of Toro Creek Estates, just a little past where the divided highway becomes a single road (if coming from the north).

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Check the map on my site. Stay on 68 and turn into the parking area near the south end of Toro Creek Estates, just a little past where the divided highway becomes a single road (if coming from the north).
    How is the riding out of Toro Park? Thanks.

You Are What You Is

How about SDF?

Would it be worth it to drive up to the Soquel Demonstration Forest?

mtbr dismember

Don't know about Toro

I heard there is riding in Toro Regional Park but I know nothing about it. Ft. Ord is fun. A good mix of singletrack and some fire roads. Only technical stuff is the Redrock Ridge trail. Do Trails 47/48 (Sea Otter singletrack) and make sure you go all the way down (west to east) the Goat Trail (Trail 41).

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    YES! If you haven't ridden Demo, it's a must do.

Fort Ord is sweet though. Keep in mind that if it's warm in Monterey it will be FRIGGIN HOT at Planet Ord. I would recommend d/ling the map off of the net before you go, because 9 times out of 10 there are no maps in the kiosk...

mtbr member
    yes

Sabine

mtbr member
    MAKE the drive to Demo or Wilder....both are worth it...Demo will be more of a time commitment from Monterey though...harder to get to.

Best maps of both places I've seen O/L are at....

Demo:
    http://www.virtualparks.org/pics/nisene-marks-v89.jpg

Wilder:
    http://www.virtualparks.org/pics/Wilder-Ranch-v60.jpg

mtbr member

ooops....stuttered on paper....dupe post

no msg

enduro rider
    SDF is my favorite, definitely check it out if you got the time. Have fun.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by wXman
    MAKE the drive to Demo or Wilder....both are worth it...Demo will be more of a time commitment from Monterey though...harder to get to.

Best maps of both places I've seen O/L are at....

Demo:
    http://www.virtualparks.org/pics/nisene-marks-v89.jpg

Wilder:
    http://www.virtualparks.org/pics/Wilder-Ranch-v60.jpg
    Thanks for the map links. Those are nice. It looks like Demo might take longer to ride than the 2-3 hour window that I'll have. We'll see, maybe I can swing it.

mtbr member

rides monterey bay

East Garrison at Fort Ord . . . . directions and information about a race happening Sunday are found at http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2004/. Conditions at Demo are good and it's absolutely worth the drive . . . I'd avoid Wilder unless you get there early . . . too many bikers, hikers, and horses.

You Are What You Is

Dude, is that a Sleestack?

Quote Originally Posted by flatpick
    East Garrison at Fort Ord . . . . directions and information about a race happening Sunday are found at http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2004/. Conditions at Demo are good and it's absolutely worth the drive . . . I'd avoid Wilder unless you get there early . . . too many bikers, hikers, and horses.
    Your avatar looks like a sleestack, but yellow. Is it?

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Quote Originally Posted by flatpick
    anyone have a map of the race route for this?