Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Best place to live and mountain bike????

I was wondering if some of you could fill me in on where it's best to live if you love mountain biking. I'm in the process of making some changes and am planning a move, but haven't decided where to. I'm confident finding work won't be a problem. I just need to be near a city large enough for a hospital or two (I work in healthcare).

I would like to live somewhere that has access to local trails, and has a large friendly cycling community. I also enjoy racing and hope to find somewhere that has a competitive local series. I also love other outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, skiing, and would like to learn to kayak.

If you think you have the best mountain biking trails and cycling community tell me why and help make my decision easier.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would say Denver or the surrounding area would be a good bet.

mtbr member
    Vancouver BC!

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Western North Carolina, cuz it's good

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Havent ridden there yet, but Portland Oregon seems to have everything you want in close proximity...

mtbr member
    According to Mountain Bike Action Magazine, the best place is Park City, Utah. Apparently everytime a company starts a housing development they have to build/add to mountain biking trails and they strictly enforce this law.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

I railed it like Kong
    Southern Utah has great riding but excpect a nice pay cut. Utah health care does not pay like other places. But the riding is year round and like no where else in the country.

Phoenix also has a great riding group and health care is booming there. riding available 10 months a year- 12 if you hate yourself. All the outdoors you want within a few hours drive in any direction- mounatins, lakes, desert, Mexico, Vegas.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Fruita....wish I could move out there. AKA single track heaven

mtbr member
    For me is Cusco, in Peru. Good weather, the air is pure, and lots of possibilities to live for MTB!

ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

just have fun!
    Not Tampa, FL! High prices, low wages, and flat, boring trails. Sure, it's technical, but I miss real climbs and swooping singletrack.

mtbr member
    When you say "live" and "bike" I think of a few variables such as the obvious.... trails, trail access, biking community. And the lesser though of, schools, night life, weather, other activities, etc. The Western Slope of Colorado (Grand Junction area), SW corner (Durango), Denver. Salt Lake City/Provo, Utah area, Central California (cost of living issues there). Central to Western North Carolina. I would say narrow it down to a few, find yourself a couple locals to speak to and/or take a trip (best) then decided. I was born and raised in Denver, CO, so feel free to contact me with any questions about Colorado.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Western North Carolina, cuz it's good
    Word! I would so move back to NC if I could convince my husband to live California..
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Thread Terrorist
    I live in Golden, CO (Denver), we have riding all over.... however...

I would look into Durango (Close to Moab, Gallup, Arizona when winter hits) and you have the high country to play in during the summer.

Utah is fantastic, Can't beat it.

Can you be nomadic? You know, be in 1 place for a year and then move on? That would be ideal.

You know my steez...

Listen! Southern Cali!

Most people wouldn't think of Mt Biking and Los Angeles in the same sentence, but we have great trails here that stretch from the mountains all the way to the beach. There are lots of bike shops from corporate giants (Performance Bike) to high-end boutique stores (Universal Cycles in Universal City) and everything in-between.

There are plenty of clubs to ride with, but I find the best rides are with a few buddies and new people we meet on the trails. Best of all, I can ride from my house to the trail head if I want to (about 7 miles on the street) and then stay off road for an epic ride or just do a two hour loop.

Look for Caballero trailhead in Encino. Take the short but technical single-track to dirt Mulholland. From there you can ride easy fire roads or super technical single-track ALL DAY LONG.

Ride to the beach, the Hollywood Sign, Malibu, or to the former site of O.J. Simpson’s house in Brentwood via Sullivan Canyon trail (awesome). The possibilities are unlimited. The terrain is diverse too. There is hard-pack, sand, rock gardens, red clay, water crossings and even footbridges…all on the same ride. Add in the proximity to nightlife, world-class restaurants and great homes and you’ll find it’s hard to beat.

I'll admit that it’s not as scenic as Peru, but it sure is more convenient!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd third the vote for Fruita/Grand Junction, especially if you're in healthcare. Hubby has wanted to move there for almost a year. The biggest job industries right now are oil drilling and nursing.

I live in So Cal and wouldn't advocate it as a place to move. Lots of trail access issues going on currently. Not to mention incredible over population, traffic, and smog. Also, it's now summer, so unless you like riding in 100* + from July until September, think somewhere else (this would also exclude the Phoenix area, and Las Vegas). If you can afford living in OC there are a lot of trails, but also a lot of people. It hasn't happened yet, but everyone has been saying for a month or so that the national forests will most likely close to all human traffic at some point due to fire risk. We'll see what happens ,but most of the trails I ride are in NF land, so that would suck.

If you can handle Vancouver BC traffic, and don't mind the immigration stuff, go for it That's the only place I've visited in the past 5~ years that I'd consider moving to.

mtbr member
    Not that we really want anymore moving here! Might be room for a couple more bikers though.

Western Washington. You have some of the top healthcare facilitys in the country.
    For biking you have mountians in fact two mountian ranges dry forest and rain forest and in eastern part of state you have dry and even some deseret like conditions. Of course you have a lot of camping sking and all of that.
    If you like to fish there is some great salmon and steelhead trout fishing.
    If you want to get into kayaking why not try doing it in the San Juans with killer Whales?

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VBBAVIklU

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    this is a hard question. I live in so-cal near the beaches and I love it here. Summer it gets as hot as high 70's low 80's. 90's is a heat wave. Winter it gets in the 60's high 50's.. So you can ride all year long no problem. thier are lots of trails out here and technical and fun but its not going to be as nice as some of the other places listed. So i guess you have to tell us what you are looking for? Super nice trails everywhere? Weather that you can ride any time you want? A city where you can do other stuff when your not working? Cost of living is cheap? Not too crowded? Obviously I am not living here just becuase I like mountain biking but i don't find it hard to mountain bike here at all. I have been to some of the other places and they have really nice trails and its fun but i go to the city and think that i couldn't live thier. But that is my life style and everyone's life style is different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayodh
    For me is Cusco, in Peru. Good weather, the air is pure, and lots of possibilities to live for MTB!
    No way! I'd never bike where donkeys have the right of way.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    I went online and searched and now I am changing my opinion from earlier and I want to say Fruita Colo. is the place to be. The place sounds amazing and you can you ride the Fruita trails straight to Moab (its truly an epic though). I think I want to move there after reading so many articles about it. Need a roommate??
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

Flagstaff
    Durango
    Park City
    Ketchum
    Fruita/Grand Junction
    Moab

Can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

im biased but...

N Utah. You can ride year round in both desert and mountain terrain. In Feb. you can ride Gooseberry and in July you can ride at 10,000 ft along lakes and streams.

A four hour drive gets you to such famous places as Fruita, Moab, Zion, Jackson, and Sun Valley. Plus, there is unending terrain in between. Park City and the surrounding areas have some amazing singletrack and, its true, new housing developments are required to build new, mountain bike specific singletrack.

Also, SLC has a lot of hospitals and a very large medical research facility at the University of Utah.

And, some of the best skiing anywhere!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    South Lake Tahoe. We have a hospital.

Only problem is that snow can get in the way of winter riding, but that's okay, head down the hill to Sac or the Bay Area...or just start boarding/skiing.

Riding into the sunset
    Tahoe or Reno, hands down(although Fruita or Denver don't sound too bad either)

Certified Bike Junkie

utah

another vote for utah, i live in salt lake and in the winter i get sick of riding the low elevation trails i just take a weekend trip down to st george to ride in 60 degree weather on awesome red rock trails, in the summer nothing beats park city single track, oh and the fact that you have 5 major canyons to choose from all of which are within 30 minutes to salt lake all of which have major mt bike trails on them... oh and did i mention park city literally has 100's of miles of pristine shaded single track!!!!

Must. Not. Get. Fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by *KL*
    I was wondering if some of you could fill me in on where it's best to live if you love mountain biking. I'm in the process of making some changes and am planning a move, but haven't decided where to. I'm confident finding work won't be a problem. I just need to be near a city large enough for a hospital or two (I work in healthcare).

I would like to live somewhere that has access to local trails, and has a large friendly cycling community. I also enjoy racing and hope to find somewhere that has a competitive local series. I also love other outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, skiing, and would like to learn to kayak.

If you think you have the best mountain biking trails and cycling community tell me why and help make my decision easier.
    I moved to North Bend Washington and live on the middle fork of the Snoqualmie river. You get class II-IV kayaking depending on where you launch. Skiing is 15 minutes away but it's not resort-class skiing. Mountain biking is very nice with many rides leaving from my house and the hiking is everything from a day-hike to Everest training.

Oh yeah: My property taxes went from $5,000/year to $14,000/year in just three years so you may soon be able to buy my house. Apparently I'm not the only one who wants to live here.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast