Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New question here. Best 6x6 all mountain bike.....

Dudes,
    I need help! I weigh 210, and I'm pretty brutal on my bike. I'm looking to get a bike i can xc on and not worry about droppin off drops of like 4 feet at most. I currently ride a giant nrs and I hate how thin and flimsy the frame is. I want something around 35 lbs. i think. The new Rocky Mountain Slayer and the Giant Reign are my top choices so far, but the Turner six pac is pretty sweet too! If any of you have an opinion, please share it, there is a lot of freakin choices and I have no idea which way to go! Custom build is also an option, so if you like a particular frame, feel free to let me know that too! Thanks guys

Endo junkie
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CupCrazynNJ
    Dudes,
    I need help! I weigh 210, and I'm pretty brutal on my bike. I'm looking to get a bike i can xc on and not worry about droppin off drops of like 4 feet at most. I currently ride a giant nrs and I hate how thin and flimsy the frame is. I want something around 35 lbs. i think. The new Rocky Mountain Slayer and the Giant Reign are my top choices so far, but the Turner six pac is pretty sweet too! If any of you have an opinion, please share it, there is a lot of freakin choices and I have no idea which way to go! Custom build is also an option, so if you like a particular frame, feel free to let me know that too! Thanks guys
    I'd check out the Yeti 575. Just look at the reviews man, this thing is pretty sweet.

hand me the dice

recommendations

also check out the SC Nomad. if you can wait for the 2006 models the Iron Horse 7 point 9 looks pretty tasty as well and you get another inch of travel on a bike that can still be built in the 35 pound range.
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dudes,
    The Yeti and the Giant will not hold up to 210lbs dropping 4ft particularly if that occurs one or more times on every ride-which it should. A few choices that can take the abuse and inspire confidence over the long haul would be the SC Nomad, Turner 6 Pack, and also the Kona Coilair. All of these choices provide a platform for air or coil shocks, compatibility w/ 5-7" travel forks and the ability to fit in at Whistler Bike Park or a 24 Hour event. All can be built up as light as 30lbs or as 40lbs FR/light DH rigs. I am sure there are many more terrific choices. I have only had experience w/ the above choices. Hope that helps.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur
    The Yeti and the Giant will not hold up to 210lbs dropping 4ft particularly if that occurs one or more times on every ride-which it should.
    Where is this written?

What makes the other choices more robust than the Yeti or Giant?
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Where is this written?

What makes the other choices more robust than the Yeti or Giant?
    Yeti and Giant make great frames. I chose the above models based upon my experiences. If the rider had stated that he was either a lighter rider or was not dropping 4ft-I agree w/ the Reign or 575. Four feet doesn't seem high, however when you are on the saddle looking down and dropping-4 ft is plenty high, the forces to the frame, pivots, and components are brutal. However w/ a good transition or 160lb rider the forces are lower and the reign and 575 are fine. That said, a Yeti ASX w/ fox dhx air and 150mm fork or giant faith lightened up would be great options. I'm not bashing the brand (for example the SC superlight, Kona King Kikapu would not be good choices either). Based on weight of rider, size of drops and the weight of bike that the rider is after (35lbs), I would choose more towards "aggressive trailbike" vs long travel trailbike. Please contact the Yeti and Giant representatives directly and give them the scenerio. They will let you know what "MODEL" is appropriate which may well be the 575 and reign. Just my opinion and experiences. Thanks

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur
    The Yeti and the Giant will not hold up to 210lbs dropping 4ft particularly if that occurs one or more times on every ride-which it should. A few choices that can take the abuse and inspire confidence over the long haul would be the SC Nomad, Turner 6 Pack, and also the Kona Coilair. All of these choices provide a platform for air or coil shocks, compatibility w/ 5-7" travel forks and the ability to fit in at Whistler Bike Park or a 24 Hour event. All can be built up as light as 30lbs or as 40lbs FR/light DH rigs. I am sure there are many more terrific choices. I have only had experience w/ the above choices. Hope that helps.
    I agree.

Just because a bike fits a category, DOESN'T mean it fits that category for everyone.

A 80 lb person could drop 6 feet all day long on a XC bike without breaking it. A 210 lb guy could snap the same bike just hitting a root hard in the trail.

Same with all mountain bikes. They are only a step above XC in durability and not intended for drops, but more for smashing through rough terrain. A 80 lb guy could huck the snot out of one over 10 feet with no problems, but a 210 lb guy will snap it on a 4 footer eventually.

Weight wise you should be looking at Freeride bikes for your All MOuntain use. A 4 footer to nice tranny can be done on a rigid bike. A 4 footer to flat or rocks is brutal even to dual suspenion bikes.

Here's some general guidlines for bike to human weight ratios:

Road biking - 10-15% of body weight

XC MTB - 15-20% of body weight

Freeride MTB - 20-30% of body weight

You should be looking for a bike that around 20% of your body weight for abusive riding. Remember, slamming into roots and rocks at full speed can take just as much of a toll on your gear as drops.

mtbr member
    This has been rehashed in considerable detail over on the "What Bike to Buy" forum and it seems (if cost isn't a limiting factor too much) the consensus comes back to these:

Turner 6 Pack
    Ventana X5 (with 6 inch links if you must have 6")
    Intense 6.6
    SC Nomad
    Yeti 575 (A bit lighter duty than the others)

The Slayer, Coiler, Titus SuperMoto, and Reign are good choices too but don't get as much play time here from the "experts" .

Might also consider the Norco Six (very burly), Transition Preston or Dirtbag, etc. You're right, this category is loaded.

Hisforever

exactly what he said...

this category is loaded...

along w/ the nomad is the heckler, and the blur 6.6.

the new specialized 6" travel FR bike should be looked at as well. its basically the scaled down version of the demo.

do a search, thats what its there for. this question comes up all the time.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks guys!

Wow. This was the first time I've actually recieved good feedback for my question. Usually people wind up kinda answering my question and then everyone argues about something stupid and unrelated haha. I really appreciate the help and I really like the turner and the Rocky Mountain Slayer now. My only problem is i work at a family oriented bike shop now that sells giant so I could get a pretty good deal on one. The faith custom build was one way I was thinking of going but i figure the rake would be too extreme to be agile at all. If you wanna comment on eitehr of my posts, please do! It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Rich

a dad
    Jan 2004
    isn't the slayer a 5 inch bike??

i ride a yeti 575 and love it but i am pretty light 160 ish...my riding partner just got a reign 2 and geez has he gotten fast quick, he loves it...the reign seems a bit burlier than the yeti but not by much...another friend has a slayer and personally i don't like it, we switched bike for a bit one day and the brake jack was very obvious...you have lots of good options, shopping is almost as fun as riding it....good luck
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

bpuodt
    Wow. This was the first time I've actually recieved good feedback for my question. Usually people wind up kinda answering my question and then everyone argues about something stupid and unrelated haha. I really appreciate the help and I really like the turner and the Rocky Mountain Slayer now. My only problem is i work at a family oriented bike shop now that sells giant so I could get a pretty good deal on one. The faith custom build was one way I was thinking of going but i figure the rake would be too extreme to be agile at all. If you wanna comment on eitehr of my posts, please do! It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Rich
    I would go for the 6pack or the Giant which has the maestro suspension right?

If you get the Giant, you will never have to worry about breaking a part. Even though it may weigh more, it's worth having the extra beef if you weigh a lot AND want to ride it hard. 4 foot drops are way beyond anything a AllMountain bike should be doing with a 200lb + guy.

I ride a 37 lb 6x6 bike and close to 200 lbs suited up:

Azonic Saber 19 inch frame in 6 inch mode
    Pike 130mm setting feels best for trail riding
    Marzocchi 20mm hub with 2.7mm heavy gauge DH spokes to Sun MTX 34mm rim (stiffest god damn front wheel money can buy! Tacoed too many whimpy ones!)
    700mm wide DH bars with 50mm rise and 8 deg sweep (us heavy guys need wide bars!!)
    60mm DH stem
    Cushy seat for my fat ass
    Cheapo shimano crankset with upgraded BB ($40, heavy, never bent a single one, highly underrated)
    Large flat DH pedals for large feet
    Race face bash ring
    XT rear hub with 2.7mm heavy gauge spokes to Sun MTX rim
    Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH sticke tire front (heavy)
    Maxxis high roller 2.35 DH super tacky rear tire (heavy)

Most important part of making a bike large person freindly is having wide handle bars. It adds an incredible amount of steering ability to your bike in rough terrain. They also let you stick wacky landings without the bike feeling squirrly on impact.

I ride my bike as speced above on 30 + mile epic rides that go for 4000+ vertical feet. I don't even notice the heavy DH tires any more. Best thing about DH tires? I haven't had a flat in over TWO 2 ll years!!! That includes one time I smashed my whole rear rim (XC rim) into 10 parts, guess what, the inner tube was still full of air and still in use today!

I say having a flawless ride with no problems is worth lagging the heavy weight. Once those muscles get used to the heavy bike you will not even notice the weight and be able to keep up with everyone else.

Seems like I spend more time waiting for freinds to fix their XC bikes than they have to wait for me to get up a steep section.

mtbr member
    I think new (starting in 05) Specialized Enduro is the best of the off the shelf options. Fox 36 fork and no shortcoming on the components. Hard to beat for the money.

all around nice guy
    I'm about 215 give a take a few pounds. I'm lovin my Kona coiler. Beefy and climbs well.
    Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion

G. W. F. Hegel

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

a thought...

How about the Ventana El Chamuco? At $1300/frame it's a relatively cheaper "boutique" frame and is very burly. You can put the F36 on it and light tires and it becomes a trail bike. here's the link:
    http://ventanausa.com/frame_elchamuco.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Too many choices.

Dudes,
    If money is not an option and you want a tough 35lb bike, the Turner is stronger and better all around than the Reign or Slayer. It is specifically designed for what you describe.

You don't have to have six inches of travel to get what you need out of a bike. The Turner 5-spot has 5" of travel and can handle 4ft drops with ease. The same can be said of the Hecklers with the 5" rear shock. 6" of travel is the magic number this year and 5" was last years magic number. Get what works the best for you.

I was actually steered away from the Reign this year from some shops because of my weight 210lbs and riding style which is aggressive xc. ie 4ft drops. It may or may not hold up but it is better to be safe when you are hard on bikes. I have never been a big fan of RM but the Slayer has had quality control issues over the years. I am not sure what the new bikes are like.

One bike mentioned that is a proven performer for riders over 200lbs is the Santa Cruz Heckler. It has close to 6" of travel and does well in any riding application. The Heckler is also cheap these days. I no longer ride a Heckler but it remains right at the top of my list for the "one" bike that does everything pretty well.
    Last edited by ronny; 10-02-2005 at 01:46 PM.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    If money is not an option and you want a tough 35lb bike, the Turner is stronger and better all around than the Reign or Slayer. It is specifically designed for what you describe.

You don't have to have six inches of travel to get what you need out of a bike. The Turner 5-spot has 5" of travel and can handle 4ft drops with ease. The same can be said of the Hecklers with the 5" rear shock. 6" of travel is the magic number this year and 5" was last years magic number. Get what works the best for you.

I was actually steered away from the Reign this year from some shops because of my weight 210lbs and riding style which is aggressive xc. ie 4ft drops. It may or may not hold up but it is better to be safe when you are hard on bikes. I have never been a big fan of RM but the Slayer has had quality control issues over the years. I am not sure what the new bikes are like.

One bike mentioned that is a proven performer for riders over 200lbs is the Santa Cruz Heckler. It has close to 6" of travel and does well in any riding application. The Heckler is also cheap these days. I no longer ride a Heckler but it remains right at the top of my list for the "one" bike that does everything pretty well.
    Amount of travel doesn't mean jack squat. It's how the frame is made.

A 6 pack isn't good at drops because of 6 inches of travel. It's good because of the heavy duty frame and solid parts.

Transition Preston FR is a 4 inch travel frame, it can take more abuse than just about any 6 inch bike out there.

5 spot has 5 inches of travel, but is also a lighter frame and not designed for heavy riders doing 4 foot drops. It could have 9 inches of travel and my opinion would remain the same.

Hell, I can do 6 foot drops to flat with my Steelhead hardtail frame. No travel, but never going to break 7 pounds of steel!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Amount of travel doesn't mean jack squat. It's how the frame is made.

A 6 pack isn't good at drops because of 6 inches of travel. It's good because of the heavy duty frame and solid parts.

Transition Preston FR is a 4 inch travel frame, it can take more abuse than just about any 6 inch bike out there.

5 spot has 5 inches of travel, but is also a lighter frame and not designed for heavy riders doing 4 foot drops. It could have 9 inches of travel and my opinion would remain the same.

Hell, I can do 6 foot drops to flat with my Steelhead hardtail frame. No travel, but never going to break 7 pounds of steel!!
    True, it is how the frame is made that ultimately matters.Get what works best for you is what I was getting at. I was also making a point that more travel does not always equate to a more capable bike.

The 5-spot is actually a much stronger frame than what you give it credit for. I know of quite a few spot owners, light and heavy that punish the frame and it holds up. Check out the Turner board.

I actually own a Preston fr but have not been able to test it adequately because of knee surgery this summer. With the frame weighing nearly nine lbs with the Romic, it is beef.

Elitest thrill junkie
    This one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    i'd second or third for a vote for some of the mentions so far on this topic. The Six Pack from Turner, and Ventana's X-5 with 6" rocker kit, and even the Ventana ElChamuco would be a decent decision.

How about one that hasn't been listed yet....Canadian made, rugged and should be able to handle some serious abuse. The Knolly Delirium , http://knollybikes.com/deliriumt.html . It would be an option on my short list.

good luck choosing !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Very nice Jm, I mean Jayem.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    I think folks are giving the 575 short shrift here, the frame is plenty robust for the type of riding in question. And the new kit spec for the Enduro Pro 20 is well thought out and very nicely priced.

http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Yummy
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Hmmmm, slightly overkill?

The Mountain Bike Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Hmmmm, slightly overkill?
    Maybe for most places...but not here...that thing is build for the shore and the rigors that come with it....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast