mad scientist

Ben Shelton, 1974-2005, RIP buddy...

Here's the full story from Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=2501

Ben was a good friend of mine, Yoda sent me this link today. Needless to say, I was shocked. He's been up to North Shore, B.C. with me a few years back, great BBQ at ROTR's place. Jim C, K'endo, Craig H., Yoda, Pup, spideysgirl, and numerous others have ridden with him. Last two years with the Cannuck invasions to Hood river, snowboarding at Mt. Hood, brew festivals in PDX. All good times...

He loved biking, loved good beer, not much else to say... he's gone now and will be missed by many.

banned

young

Quote Originally Posted by KonaMan
    He loved biking, loved good beer
    That's good enough for most of us. Living a full life is so important because you never know when your number is going to be called. I think I'll go ride now.

There's no app for this.

speechless

the stuff you never expect. Makes me incredibly sad.

Yet another reason to embrace the friends you've got and to be thankful for all we take for granted.

Thanks for the notification Eric, I never would have known otherwise.

Jim

Foreign Entity
    I didn't know him but reading about him makes me wish I did.

Thanks for sharing, I am sure many people will remember him in the best way.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    All I can say is that I'm in shock, and feeling very bummed right now.

We had been chatting via email about meeting up in Hood River in about a month for the annual Cdn invasion on the Victoria Day long weekend.

At a loss for words...

fc
    stoked Administrator
    My deepest condolences. Ben was full of life and was taken away in his prime.

francis cebedo

mad scientist

shocked sums it up

pretty much feeling like crap right now. we didn't spend a lot of time together, but we did ride quite a bit over the years here.

part of that trip we'll have to dedicate a ride to him and just rip the hell out of it!

Memorial page here:
    http://www.shelton.ca/

Yummy
    I met, rode with, had a beer or two with Ben a couple of times. Great guy to know.

I still have an email in my inbox from a couple weeks ago, where he talked about how he'd be setting up his bike for our planned weekend of riding in Hood River in May.

What can I say? Enjoy it while you've got it, cause you never know when it'll be gone ...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

beer thief
    A very sobering story. It just doesn't seem right when someone is taken away in the prime of their life, with so much more to offer, so much more to experience.

You have my deepest condolences.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ben was a good friend of mine, Yoda sent me this link today. Needless to say, I was shocked. He's been up to North Shore, B.C. with me a few years back, great BBQ at ROTR's place. Jim C, K'endo, Craig H., Yoda, Pup, spideysgirl, and numerous others have ridden with him. Last two years with the Cannuck invasions to Hood river, snowboarding at Mt. Hood, brew festivals in PDX. All good times...

He loved biking, loved good beer, not much else to say... he's gone now and will be missed by many.
    Please accept my condolences. He was a great guy...and a great biker. He will be sorely missed........Rest in Peace, Ben.

From one of our rides with him last year...

(K'endo, Ben & KirkH, Photo by AlanB)

Regroup on the climb up to Syncline.

Ben is in the blue jersey, white helmet, right hand side of photo.

(Photo by AlanB)

try driving your car less
    I didnt know this guy, but what freaks me out is that I was also born in 1974.
    So I read the article. He was feeling under the weather, then collapsed in his apartment and died and was found a day later. Meningitis.
    This is freaking me out. I am going to go home and play with my son.
    Only boring people get bored.

AlanB, K'endo, KirkH, Ben Shelton with Columbia River in the background.

(Photo by KonaMan)

mad scientist

and Tim's grazing on the grass...

oops, it's so easy to confuse that hairy bastard with Barley...

It's the axle
    I'm really sorry to hear this. (I also lost a great friend to menningitis. Over a weekend, he was gone.)
    Keep him in your heart, and live life the best you can. Life is short enough.

mtbr member

Another tragedy...

Condolences to friends and family, especially the buddy that must have been horrified to find him...

Seems like he lived life to it's fullest, a lesson we all should heed as nothing, not one day, is given. Great shots & write-up, thanks for the heads up & link.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Ben riding the rocks at the bottom of Syncline

(Photo by KonaMan)

Ben & Rotornomore talking at the bottom of Syncline

(Photo by KonaMan)

MTB B'dos
    WOW, my very deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Being 4 years older than Ben this really hits a note, yesterday I was holding my niece and had a sever chest pain right in the centre - it didn't feel like a heart related issue, but it stopped me in my tracks and scared the hell out of me. I need to go visit my doc again and get a quick check-up. Menegitis scares the crap out of me as I know several people who have died because of it, it's so fast and I don't know how you contract it and as said you just most of the time feel "under the weather".

Ride on Ben......
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mad scientist

The last time we hung out...

Winter Ale Fest (PDX) in December. My wife and I worked the morning shift, and I gave him a buzz to invite him out for a few free beers (you get tokens for working and my wife wasn't giong to use hers).

Good times, free beer (good quality winter micro's), good freinds. Beervanna dude...

My favorite quote from Pinkbike was something about how he'd figure out how to load Linux onto your toaster if you asked him... Ben was definately a computer geek, it made me laugh, it was definately something I could see him making an interface to load it up. Over a few beers of course...

Pup
    as seen on TV

Goddammit.

God dammit god dammit god dammit.

F ck.

Pup

mtbr member
    My deepest heart felt sorrows.
    Makes me want to find the friends that I have had recent "difficulties" with and give them a hug. Not to mention family and friends.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

the bomb

my condolences

Please accept my condolences to all those who knew him, and are saddened by this loss.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Yikes! I started reading this thread with sadness but in an impersonal way since I did not know anyone called Ben Shelton. Looking at the pictures now, I realize that I did know him. I rode Boogieman with a guy, formerly from Upstate NY, named Ben on the North Shore a few years ago. He wasn't a guy I or anyone will soon forget. Now I feel truly sad. RIP Ben. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

mad scientist

that was a great trip...

I did two days on Galbraith, rode with little b, Mellow, Andy, Jeff K, Jennifer, Ben, K'endo, Tim, Yoda, and a few others. Headed up to Tim's place, ate all his food, drank all his beer, bought more beer, drank that too... oh yeah, and we rode. Two runs. Arthur Chan, Craig H, Jim C, and a plethora of others. Rebuilding Matt's bike (twice), K'endo doing bunny hops on the inflatable couch...

The ride photo is from McKenzie River Trail, 3 years ago I believe for Memorial Day weekend with the Fat Tire Farm crew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dazed and Confused

Meningococcal warning went out today

No matter how many times it's been said, nothing sums it up better than "That sucks." Ben was a good guy.

Wouldn't you know it. Today Vancouver got a public health warning about people getting memingitis from sharing joints. 5 people got it and 2 died.
    http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser...saliva20050407

I had no idea it could be spread by the saliva on a doobie. Water bottles too! How did I live this long?
    Is ibuprofen considered a recreational drug?

Mmmm...Pivo!
    My heart-felt sympathies. I didn't know him, but I am riding tomorrow's epic in Ben's honor.

The former Blue 'Goose

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! My condolences......

Very sorry to hear it. Someone who dies so young. And he was into linux and
    mountain biking too, a very interesting person whose story ended prematurely.

Think I'll hop on the dual boinger this evening to ponder this.

Thanks for posting this pic KM, I didn't have that one.

Yummy
    Hey Craig,

Can you email me your photos above in full size (no compression)?

Thx,

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

They are off of AlanB's & Konaman's photo sites. I'll email you the links where you can grab them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My condolences...

And thank you for sharing this with us. When someone like Ben leaves us, their passing should never go unnoticed.

mtbr member
    I knew Ben. He visited us in Stockholm, Sweden when we arranged the first freeride-festival here in 2001. He was a good guy and helped me immensely when i bought a used Dare from Oregon. We talked daily sometimes and monthly other times on ICQ. He was always friendly and mature but still was close to the child within.

A couple of pics from our Frost-chill 2001:

http://kanyl.com/frost/features/chill/benclose.htm

http://kanyl.com/frost/features/chill/mangeoben.htm

He will be sorely missed, my condoleances to family, friends, associates.

Erol Orhun, Stockholm, Sweden

I was thinking about Ben today and realized it was just over a year ago that he passed away.

RIP Ben.

Stray Bullet
    Very sad to hear. Very scary considering I had a very bad Staph infection and could have lost my leg. Pictures to follow tonight...

RIP