Heads up Flyboy!!

Being a good parent and staying in shape

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I'm a Dad. Have been for 9 months now and loving it. My daughter has just started walking, feeding herself from the plate, calls my wife Mamamama, a occasional Da Da for myself, and a overall joy in my life.
    I've been a serious mountain biker for the past 5 years and would normally ride 3-4 times a week before Ayla was born. Usually a 30-40 mile mountain ride on the weekends, with a few night rides during the week. I would grace the occasional race with the past two years before Ayla was born being focused more on the endurance events.
    Fast foward to now and I still get to do the 30 miler trail ride on most weekends(more family coming in town and a house to keep up) and a occasional night ride to stay in shape.
    Just wanting to know what other parents who still race sometime and like to "lead" the pack do to maintain a good fitness level on the bike.

Jeremy

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    1st thing I can say... It gets easier and time does return, albeit slowly.

Other things that can help... trainer, and a good set of lights. Other than that it's time management and balance. (Got the trainer, no lights here and still working on that balance thing.)

It's a fun trip, just remember to take the kids on the ride.

Good luck,

JmZ

(3 Kids - Boys are 4 and Daughter is 5)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    I'm a Dad. Have been for 9 months now and loving it. My daughter has just started walking, feeding herself from the plate, calls my wife Mamamama, a occasional Da Da for myself, and a overall joy in my life.
    I've been a serious mountain biker for the past 5 years and would normally ride 3-4 times a week before Ayla was born. Usually a 30-40 mile mountain ride on the weekends, with a few night rides during the week. I would grace the occasional race with the past two years before Ayla was born being focused more on the endurance events.
    Fast foward to now and I still get to do the 30 miler trail ride on most weekends(more family coming in town and a house to keep up) and a occasional night ride to stay in shape.
    Just wanting to know what other parents who still race sometime and like to "lead" the pack do to maintain a good fitness level on the bike.

Jeremy
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Yup, I'm there

I have a 10 month old son, the joy of my life! My wife and I are both avid riders and trying to stay on top of it! A lot of times we all head to the trail (3 of us). One knocks out an hour ride while the other plays with our boy,then we switch. Not the easiest but adapt and over come Also, for trails closer to home, one will ride the road out and complete the dirt loop, the other meets at the trail with the car and trade. Now rider two does the dirt then road ride home. This works great for a few extra miles.
    Good luck and congrat's on your little girl!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Having a understanding wife is a big plus but having a wife that rides is just down right tough. Its hard because we dont get to ride together as we did before my son. We found that finding riding partners helped so we didnt have to ride solo. We did a 24 hour event were we switched off watching the little guy. We won our class but it was rough (really rough). It gets easyer and what could hold a famly togeather more than parents that share there passion with their kids. I just cant wait till the day we ride as a family. Riding at night or early morning works for us in that your spouse doesnt feel stuck with the little one/ones all day. Get it in when you can but most of all enjoy them now just they just keep growing

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    1st thing I can say... It gets easier and time does return, albeit slowly.

Other things that can help... trainer, and a good set of lights. Other than that it's time management and balance. (Got the trainer, no lights here and still working on that balance thing.)

It's a fun trip, just remember to take the kids on the ride.
    I've got a set of rollers and have been on them although all I can stand is about 30 to 45 minutes and I'm bored out of my mind even watching tv. I start playing around by shifting gears, talking my hands off the bars, standing up, which is tough on rollers. I've got a awsome set of lights the Nite Rider Cyclone HID with LED and it does a great job of lighting up the night when I do get a night ride in.

My wife loves to hike with me but getting her on a bike is a different story. She is talking of getting a Electra Townie ( cruiser) expecially now since we have a trailer that I can pull my daughter in and she's getting old enough to be able to ride in it. We were just waiting for her head to get big enough for the helmet to fit right. Should be soon and we can all the hit the dirt roads near our home as a family

Jeremy

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Oh man I do feel your pain - and joy. My son is five now so riding is much easier to do than when he was younger. Like the others have said, night rides were the order of the day. I could pretty much get a 2-3 hour ride in after he went to sleep. Alot of times, I'd sneak out of the house on a Saturday before anyone got up (4:00-5:00am) and get a night-into-day ride in. That way, I could get a fairly long ride in and still have plenty of time for the family.

Other than that, I did (and still do) almost daily rides on my trainer (ranging from 15-45 minutes) varying the intensity depending on how I feel. It's boring but also a means to an end.

I also did/do most of my riding on my singlespeed which helps keep my strength up.

By doing all that, I was able to keep enough fitness to be fairly competitive in 12 and 24 hour races of which I ususally do 2 or 3 of each every year.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

It's tough when they are little....

but as you have noted they are such a joy. Allot of work too, but the pleasuer that having kids brings more than compensates for it. I have two boys, both grown and out on their own now. It was really tough to keep up the riding time and fitness level when they were very young. But by 5 both of my boys were riding. Not real fast and not as technical as I would have liked, but they could keep up and loved an hour or so out on the trails. As they grew riding as a family just came naturally, the wife rides too. I can think of very few vacations that we went on that that 4 bikes didn't at least come along.

Anyway as others have said, early AM rides, or PM rides are pretty much the order of the day. If your wife rides then swapping time is a must as well. If she doesn't this might be a way of getting her into it. Occasional time away from the kids is essential to parental sanity! We used to occasionally get a baby sitter or leave em with the grandparents and get out for a day together and ride. It was great and those times were little jewels of great price. Eventually those jewels may well include your daughter as well. So, trainer, early AM, and PM rides and allot of flexibility will keep you in shape. Just don't fall into the trap of trying to maintain a ridgid shcedule for your riding/training. It won't work, not with small kids in the family. Just be creative and flexible. It can be done, but you do have to work at it a little.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member

I hear you loud and clear...

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Jeremy
    I seem to be in the same boat as many of you. I have a six month old daughter right now who is the joy of my life. She is at the age where the interaction with her becomes more and more advanced all of the time. For me the unfortunate part of it is that my riding has progressed over the past couple of years to the point where I want to get more serious about off season training. I bought a trainer a couple of months ago, so that helps. And I have a supportive wife who is into fitness (and a little riding) that understands my goals. However, I live in Canada and don't do winter rides due mainly to weather and winter trail access. I am also trying to maintain a somewhat regimented training schedule for the next four months to maintain my base fitness. I will not do this at the expense of my time with my daughter. I have made positive strides every year for the past 3-4 and want to continue do so. I too race two 24 hr and three 8hr relay races per season, as well as a weekly series.

Others have suggested off hour rides and the trainer, which is great. Another thing that has been a help is definitely the trainer. You may not want to be on it for more than an hour at a time due to boredom, but it definitely helps to pull a shirt and shorts on and head into the basement, rather than have any riding or drive time to get to your destination of choice. Really, if you can, what is an hour, plus a shower after, a day or 3-4 times Mon to Fri. This can be done at off hours too, not taking away precious time from your children or pissing off your better half. And you will just look forward even more to your weekend ride, which perhaps you could lengthen if that is the only time you are getting out. Just my $0.03...

N.

Surfin' da mountain

Bring your baby with you on the ride!

Go here: Trailer for Kids that offer dust protection

Buy a trailer. If they're walking, they'll love it. If you can only get 2 hard rides in per week, take the baby with you on recovery rides. That way you can get in 4 rides per week and pick up some baby time. And give your wife a break for those few hours a week.

I love looking back and asking, "How are you doing?" The response is normally happy baby talk and maybe an "Oooooo!" now and then. No crying yet.

I think my wife is getting a little jealous because yesterday she rode with us. We dropped some movies off at Block Buster, went to McDonald's for some Orange Juice and a leg stretch, and then on ward. She hasn't been on the bike since before the baby was born and showed no interest. Now she wants to make it a weekly thing.

So you can't get out on the trail as often as you like? Me too!

Improvise! Slow time on the bike is better than no time on the bike.

I don't take the baby on the harder, longer, off road rides. But I do take her regularly on the other rides. Also pulling a trailer will improve your climbing.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I hear yuh....fortunately, my wife is very supportive and I typically get 1 weekend ride in. i have 4 kids (ages 4, 6, 8, and 10) and a wife that starts nursing school this week so needless to say, time is precious for me/us.

it really does require creativity to keep in shape.

i am very fortunate....i have a gym on site at work so at a minimum, on my lunch break, i hit the lifecycle about 3 times a week.

but becuase the gym is boring of course, my latest idea was to buy a dedicated work bike to keep in my office. i am also fortunate that I have sweet single track by my work. literally, from my office door and back, it is abuot 1 hour for 10 miles with only about 1 mile of road to get to trailhead. since i can ride year round where i live, i think this will really get me into shape, or at least keep me where i am at.

Hairy man
    I don't race or put in the miles you're used to, but I bet if you put in some miles pulling the tot in a trailor, you'll notice an improvement in your climbing strength.
    We all get it in the end.