mtbr member
    Jan 2004

BC Riding - Chilcotin Parks Plan public comments needed by April 30, 2014

To summarize, before 2010, the Chilcotins was not a park. Outdoor recreationalists could freely travel in the Chilcotins in the same way they can in the rest of British Columbia's crown land. After much of the Chilcotins became a BC Park, BC Parks proposes to limit outdoor recreationalists (with the majority of proposals targeting mountain biking). Parks also proposes to drastically limit floatplane useage; the means by which some mountain bike and hiking day trips are conducted.

For more information go here:
    Chilcotin Parks Plan – public comments needed by April 30, 2014 | MTB Trails

To go to the public input pages go here:
    - Online comment form
    - PDF comment form
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You've been putting your time to good use. If you want a job, BC Parks would probably be happy to have you ...
    In 2001 I was able to do the Float Plane drop at Spruce Lake and ride back to Tyax. It remains one of my most memorable MTB experiences. This year Tyax Adventures is hosting a Ladies Only trip that my wife and girl friend are hoping to do. If BC Parks outlaws the Float Planes, trips like the Ladies Only products offered by Tyax Adventures would be eliminated.
    I've made my comment to parks already.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    RM

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Roy - thanks for that. The Ministry of Environment tends to take comments from people outside from BC who come to BC to ride very seriously. Any comments appreciated

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting Sharon & Lee, and for putting in the time to gathering info. Lee, not sure if its cool to post external links to MTBR but your PB writeup contained a lot of great info. Some photos would help people see what is at stake. Its worth fighting for, if the Chilcotins were in the US the whole thing would be Federal Wilderness complete with bike ban. Truly a unique and beautiful area. I'm not a BC local anymore so its good to hear the MoE values input from visitors. Might be worth posting here in the bikepack & advocacy forums. If you're ok with it I can post a link on bikepacking.net. Lots of those guys would be interested. I'll be sending in comments for sure.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Could you repost the link evdog? Wasn't sure if mtbr would be so happy with the PB external link so I stuck it on something neutral. Most of the biking websites are busy on Sea Otter gear news

mtbr member
    I'm sure they won't mind, its for a good cause

Chilcotin Parks Plan by leelau - Pinkbike