Thread: Backbone

Yappy little dog!

Backbone

I spent another beautiful day in California riding with some friends along the Backbone trail in the Santa Monica mountains. Officially Zuma/Trancas Canyons, this area was a very pretty place. It was probably a little more than I bargained for an a fully rigid singlespeed, but still a lot of fun. I actually passed out for an hour when I got back to the hotel. Ok, maybe the two beers at Willeys had something to do with that, but it was peaceful.

We started out from the Tunnel 1 parking lot off of Kanan Road and headed south.

There was a rather rude climb up to the top of the tunnel. That woke up my legs, lungs, and brain. What did I get myself into. Where are my gears?

Suffice to say, it was short and opened up to a grinning downhill.

The area reminds me of the Lakota sandstone along the Frontrange of Colorado. There seemed to be similar stretches of rock and looseness.

There were quite a few sustained uphills. This trail was anything but flat. Pain and gain. That's they way I put it into perspective.

The brush tunnels were kind of cool.

A stop at the top (ocean is out there somewhere) and ready for a rough downhill. Not only was I missing the gears at this point, but some suspension would have been nice.

A little bit more shady goodness before turning around and heading back out. Something tells me this could be a nice point to point shuttle ride.

pin it
    Nice pics and nice riding weather! A well deserved recovery drink was in order
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Nice ride report, as usual. This is one of my favorite local rides. You can also head off in the opposite direction from the same trailhead and click off a 30-plus mile out-and-back ride.

Please note in the photo above that there's a whole bunch of evil poison oak mixed in with those branches where your bike is leaning. There's plenty of it on that stretch of Backbone. Nice that you don't have to worry about that stuff on the Colorado front range.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    Nice ride report, as usual. This is one of my favorite local rides. You can also head off in the opposite direction from the same trailhead and click off a 30-plus mile out-and-back ride.

Please note in the photo above that there's a whole bunch of evil poison oak mixed in with those branches where your bike is leaning. There's plenty of it on that stretch of Backbone. Nice that you don't have to worry about that stuff on the Colorado front range.
    I'll have to check out the other direction when I'm back.

I know about the poison oak. I'm immune to it and poison ivy. But, still try to avoid if I see it.

mtbr member
    One of the nicest and well kept trails in So-Cal. Sycamore Canyon and Laguna Niguel are tied for second! Great pics!

So cal is chunky and "anything but flat".

Props for rigid SS'ing it.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Nice ride report... Thank you for sharing it. A rigid SS and riding that terrain - super props!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

b a n n e d
    Love that trail . . . definitely try the other direction next time you're out too.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Suspension is over rated, great pictures. Hope you a tasty brew afterwards, to help ease the pain. Thank you for sharing.....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein