Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Back to it (pict heavy passion post)

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rockcrusher 
#1 ·
I lost it. I lost it hard. 2 kids, lose of a economic downturn building construction based job, becoming a stay-at-home dad, nights of no sleep, sick kids, wife working full time. It all conspired to keep me off my bike.

Oh i tried but every time I planned something something fell through and i missed the ride.

I finally got it coordinated this Saturday, a group ride with new people, a trail I have never ridden and a beautiful pre-desert summer day.

We gathered in the parking lot of a local cafe, infiltrating the ranks of the spandex clad, carbon wonder bikes crew, primping and preening for their ride up Mt. Lemmon road. We decided on route, we loaded into cars, we headed up.
IMG_3798

Up up we went, we dropped cars at the end and headed to the start. High up, cold and breezy. We suited up.
IMG_3800

the view is huge:
IMG_3802pano

We dropped in, some made it:
IMG_3808

some not as cleanly:
IMG_3815

IMG_3816

IMG_3817

Green Mountain is fun:
IMG_3841

IMG_3845

It makes you pay for your play however and we paid dearly with a lot of climbing, a lot of hiking and a lot of "What the heck is the elevation here?":
IMG_3849

There are some cool things on this trail:
IMG_3861

Some of us rolled on hardtails, some with no gears, some with no suspension, some with big wheels and some with small wheels but all of us rolled together:
IMG_3870

There was little in the way of things that weren't prickly in the local flora, however even those that were were not without their beauty:
IMG_3877

The downs were fantastic:
IMG_3907

The landscape hasn't really recovered fully from the big fires:
IMG_3910

Didn't stop us however, we still rode there and enjoyed it!:
IMG_3916

IMG_3920

I hope that I can get together with a group of people I have never before ridden with, explore a trail I have never experienced and have this good of a time many more times in my cycling life.

Just because you lost it doesn't mean it was lost, it was just waiting for you to remember where it was, retrieve it, clean it up and put it back where it belonged!

See less See more
#8 ·
thanks for the kudos. I just got a new camera (Canon T1i) a DSLR which is my first in the Digital Era, previously I had used a Canon Digital Elph but it was approaching 10 years old so it was getting long in the tooth and 3.2 megapixel and 3x zoom weren't cutting it any more.

Over the years I have developed a passion for riding and shooting. Not like a professional but i just like to grab a shot here and there, I shoot a few, try for good composition and then hurry up and catch the back of the group. On our next stop I take off again and get ahead, find a good spot and take some pictures, then repeat. So I kinda yo yo all over the place when riding but I get to ride with everyone in the group this way so that is a definite perk.

I was concerned with the size of the DSLR and lens but my older CamelBack HAWG with the external helmet pocket was perfect for holding a camera case and it was really easy access to the camera when I wanted to shoot. It kept the camera weight low and as protected as it would have been inside the bag. Is it like a Clic bag, kinda, maybe less accessible and not as padded but I have it and it works so for now I am not going to spend the money on another bag.

Hopefully I can get back to posting more in passion again like I used to! Fingers crossed here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.