mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Back from Hip Surgery Passion

How about some stories of riders who've had hip surgery (cam impingement, hip replacement or resurfacing etc.) and returned to riding? It must be a sweet passion, when once you were in so much pain and could no longer ride.

My story - I was recently diagnosed with FAI. Cam Impingement in my right hip and damage to my cartilage. I hear that this is a fairly common injury among cyclists. I'm considering whether or not to have arthroscopic surgery.

In layman's terms, a fairly large (10 - 15%) of the population develops some extra bone near the top of the femur, just below the hip ball. Athletes such as cyclists move their hips in a range of motion where the extra bones comes into contact with the socket cartilage and damages it. It's suspected that this is one of the main causes of total hip replacements.

Some doctors feel that by doing a surgery to shave the bone down and clean up the cartilage, that they can help athletes go back to their sports and hold off on hip replacements for many years.

banned
    Aug 2012
    No stories to share, but SORRY to hear that you're suffering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I posted this last year: A year outdoors, or: Life as I knew it didn't end (pic heavy TR of sorts) after I had a total replacement of the right hip. My left hip will have to be replaced in the next 2 or 3 years, so I'll have to go through all of this again, but it's not the end of the world by any means. Good luck with yours.

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Bikeabuser. Huntermos - thanks for posting your report. It's an inspiring report! Do you know if you previously had some kind of hip impingement that damaged your hip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mm9 View Post
    Do you know if you previously had some kind of hip impingement that damaged your hip?
    Not particularly, but a couple of docs said it looked like the heads of my femurs are a bit larger than maybe they should be, and suggested that there's a bit of genetics involved, although your explanation also would account for the enlargement. The biggest factor is simply a life of high use and high impact. I've got the wear and injuries that result from a life of backpacking and mountaineering since I was a kid, growing up and working on a cattle ranch and the accompanying years of horseback riding, a lifetime of skiing and snowboarding with 20 years in the ski industry as a professional skier (70-110 days a year on snow), a decade or so of whitewater kayaking (which puts you in a weird splayed-leg position), years of climbing and caving, and the soon-to-be 27 years on a mountain bike. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything, and while it would be nice if my hips were whole and healthy, I can still do most of those things that I love, so it's been a worthwhile trade!