Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I am Doctor Remulak

AZSF04 Spring Fling Pre-Gathering Organization thread

I thought I'd repost DurtGurl's original Fling announcement to the new forum.

Time to announce Arizona Spring Fling '04! After considering other local races/events, March 12-14 has been chosen as the official Fling weekend. PaulB, master organizer for last year's fling, will be unavailable this year due to a personal issue. He is ok, but his significant other (the bike widow) is quite ill. We wish them both the very best and hope to see Paul on the trails again soon. In his place, a team of locals is banding together to make the Fling happen in 2004. We will be gathering after the New Year to settle on details, and will post info as it becomes available. For now, you can count on the following:

Fling Dates:
    March 11-14

Fling Rides:
    Thursay - Tucson (?)
    Friday - South Mountain
    Saturday & Sunday - TBD (Sedona, Tucson, Prescott, Phoenix rides possible)
    Pre-fling Wed ride is likely

Fling Party:
    Friday evening - Las Lomitas Ramada at South Mountain Park with beer permit. Reserved from 5-10pm

Fling Flights:
    Fly into PHX

Fling Accomodations:
    Go for hotels in Tempe and/or near airport - these are close to South Mountain
    Camping is available at our county parks: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/
    Some locals will open their homes to Flingers

Fling Contacts/Organizers:
    Kathleen Kingma (DurtGurl)
    Scott Nowacki (ScottN)
    Mike Walker (AZMikey)
    Eric Burley (Chupacabra)
    There will be other locals contributing as well...

Here is the email address for the fling:
    azsf04 at yahoo dot com

Click here for a mailto link

Please send an email to us if you intend to come to the gathering. We want to get a head count (generally speaking) so we know how many locals we'll need and so on. Keep an eye on this post for more announcements and such!

See you all in sunny Arizona in March!

There's no app for this.

Cool-blue Rhythm Cheap airfare from Vancouver Jan 15th...

Alaska Air advertising this a.m. $298 CAD Feeenix rtn. , plus the usual ton of fees.

FWIW, JIm

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Alaska Air advertising this a.m. $298 CAD Feeenix rtn. , plus the usual ton of fees.

FWIW, JIm
    So, that means you'll be flying down then?

(drum up a poker game, hit the pawn shop, sell plasma and/or a kidney, etc.)

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Ina and I are thinking about it. Depends on if we can use her airline points for the tickets or not.

Yay! Bikes !
    I'm still undecided but leaning towards going.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Ina and I are thinking about it. Depends on if we can use her airline points for the tickets or not.
    It would be cool to see you both again. We should try to get together for a ride at least every 3 years or so.
    Nick.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Looking forward to this year's event. It will be nice to see all those faces again.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Someone keeps talking about a BC trip....

Yay! Bikes !
    Hmmm, I just re-checked the flight cost and it has somehow gone down $10 since last week (that can't be right), making the trip that much more attractive. Thats $10 extra to put towards icy cold post-ride beer !!!

edit: a few of my friends DID make it up to Vancouver and Whistler last Summer while I was in Colorado. (JimC showed them some goods, thx Jim) They all raved about the riding said I must go and see it for myself this year.
    Nick.

The rest of the thread (other responses) on the old board is here:

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...06799@.efe3f3a

Looks like getting there on airline points is possible, just have to go through San Francisco on the way there.

Next have to check how bad the fees are to take bikes on the plane.

Email sent!

mtbr member
    Rats, Thats the same weekend as the NORBA National in Texas.

Okay, we will be there!

Anyone interested in riding in Sedona the week after the Gathering? My wife and I have booked accomidation for a week.
    My vote is for a Sunday ride in Sedona, but that is only because we have a condo booked up there.

My brother might be coming down too.

Anyone found any deals on car/truck/van rentals that can move bikes? That is the next thing to arrange.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Okay, we will be there!

Anyone interested in riding in Sedona the week after the Gathering? My wife and I have booked accomidation for a week.
    My vote is for a Sunday ride in Sedona, but that is only because we have a condo booked up there.

My brother might be coming down too.

Anyone found any deals on car/truck/van rentals that can move bikes? That is the next thing to arrange.
    Well, we live an hour away. We also know a few lesser-known routes and areas. Probably if schedules aren't conflicting, we'll drag you to cottonwood for the thumper loop...(less than 30min from sedona).

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Well, we live an hour away. We also know a few lesser-known routes and areas. Probably if schedules aren't conflicting, we'll drag you to cottonwood for the thumper loop...(less than 30min from sedona).
    Thanks Jm!

I've never ridden over to that area. We did visit Cottonwood a bunch of years ago when staying in Sedona, but on that trip we only did one ride as we didn't bring the bikes down and rented.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Thanks Jm!

I've never ridden over to that area. We did visit Cottonwood a bunch of years ago when staying in Sedona, but on that trip we only did one ride as we didn't bring the bikes down and rented.
    Plus, if anyone is interested in an "adventure", maybe a Mingus Mtn shuttle could be arranged, depending on what kind of bikes are going to be there. It's kinda fun, only the first few miles are technical, but the rest is some pretty high speed fireroad type stuff...and the "adventure" part of it is getting it to come out near the airport in cottonwood...which we DID when we did it...but we don't know if we could do it 2 for 2. In any case, you can't get lost, and it's more of an "adventure", but it's an ~5000ft drop on that side of the mountain.

Flying to AZSF04 with bikes

Just checked a couple of airlines.

Air Canada

http://www.aircanada.ca/services/luggage/checked.html

"Bicycles
    There are fixed charges for the carriage of bicycles on North American routes:
    within Canada - $ 65 CAD - One Way
    to/from United States - $65 CAD/$ 50 USD. - One Way
    The bicycle must be prepared as follows, prior to arrival at the airport: fix the handlebars sideways and remove the pedals. Place the bicycle in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If not packaged in a container, Air Canada will provide a plastic bicycle bag and will accept the item with a limited release form (to be signed at check-in), releasing Air Canada of liability. Bicycle suitcases containing collapsible bicycles are also accepted.

Note: Bicycles are carried as part of the free baggage allowance on International flights (including Star Alliance™ carriers)."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

United

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,1034,00.html

"Oversized baggage
    Some checked items are assessed a special handling charge because of size, fragility, or other handling requirements. Examples are:

Bicycles
    Kennels
    Surfboards
    Sailboards
    Scuba gear
    There is a charge for checked items between 62 linear inches and 115 linear inches. We will not accept or check items in excess of 115 linear inches (length + width + height). No single dimension may be more than 62 inches.

Exceptionally bulky or fragile items will not be accepted as checked baggage, but may ride in a passenger seat in the cabin provided a ticket is purchased for the item and specific seating conditions have been met.

Contact United Reservations at 1-800-United-1 in the U.S. or your travel agent prior to your trip for details about any item that may be subject to a special handling charge. Acceptance, restrictions, and charges will vary depending upon destination."

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Plus, if anyone is interested in an "adventure", maybe a Mingus Mtn shuttle could be arranged, depending on what kind of bikes are going to be there. It's kinda fun, only the first few miles are technical, but the rest is some pretty high speed fireroad type stuff...and the "adventure" part of it is getting it to come out near the airport in cottonwood...which we DID when we did it...but we don't know if we could do it 2 for 2. In any case, you can't get lost, and it's more of an "adventure", but it's an ~5000ft drop on that side of the mountain.
    We'll be bringing XC/trail bikes.

The big bikes are to much of a pain to transport and ride around in the Arizona sun (Ask JimC for more info).

Truck/Van/Car rentals for transporting bikes?

Anyone found any deals in Phoenix?

Preferably based out of the airport as we will be flying in with bikes.

Row call?

So who has sent in a email that they are going?

CraigH
    TheOtherH (my wife)
    Kirby (my brother)

Booked flights last night.

Yay! Bikes !

re: roll call

I'm in too, but I haven't made any lodging/car arrangements yet.
    (boy will it be nice to ride in weather above freezing for a change)

Last year I managed to talk my way out of the oversized baggage fee BOTH directions.
    I'm hoping I can be as lucky again this year.
    Nick.

mtbr member

Roll Call-SoCal chiming in...

[QUOTE=CraigH]So who has sent in a email that they are going?

Andy aka Rut (ss forum)
    Poacher (ss forum)
    Donkey (ss and 29'er forum)
    DrewDawg (lurker)
    DDawg (from www.socalmtb.com and www.fooriders.com)
    El Jefe (from www.socalmtb.com and www.fooriders.com)
    and some others too.

Let the excitement begin!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Kathleen in AZ
    Reservations at my house accepted for:

CraigH
    TheOtherH (CH's wife, Ina)
    Kirby (CH brother)
    Nick (you haven't asked, but you're invited!)
    Gary (from Ohio)
    Doug (from Ohio)

Since you'll be at the house of one of the Fling organizers, please be ready to lend some assistance on the party, etc!

My Ohio friends will be flying in early that week (M or T), so the rest of you are welcome to arrive early also. I will have to work M-Th, so you'll be on your own as far as finding trails. My backyard is undergoing a remodel - be the first to enjoy the new and improved hot tub, pool and lounging deck! Dogs are the same, but a bit more mature, and I have only one cat now.

Kathleen

Thanks DurtGurl!

Your hospitality is greatly appreciated!

Of course we'll help with what ever is required!

Craig

I just wanna ride my bike

Smile Thank you for hosting us Canadians again!

We look forward to seeing you, spending time with the many other bike lovin' people we have met at various gatherings and riding all those great trails that we did the last time we were in Arizona.

We will be happy to help out with "fling hosting" at your house in any way we can!

Look forward to seeing Boojum and his new pal too!

Ina (TheotherH)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i am in for at least friday in phoenix. i am semi-local, about 40 miles west of phoenix. looking forward to seeing you all. if there will be more rides in the phoenix area i may attend them, too.

Rita aka zer0

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast