Thread: Arizona Trail

mtbr dismember

Arizona Trail

The Picketpost to Kelvin section of the Arizona Trail is one of my favorites. It's really rugged, way out there, and has some really classic desert scenery. But it requires shuttling, which can be a hassle setting up. But when Joe@MBD.com said he wanted to ride it I jumped at the chance. He is always enthusiastic, never complains, will start early in the morning, and he is 100% reliable. It had been warm recently so we brought extra liquids. But for most of the ride the temperature was quite pleasant. I felt as comfortable as ever starting out, and we seemed to be moving fairly quickly. However, we stopped quite a bit for posed photos, so the ride took longer than usual.

At one point I noticed Joe had a big cholla ball stuck to his helmet. When he took off the helmet he knocked the cholla into his thigh. As he pulled it out it sounded like Velcro, and left more than a dozen spines deep into the leg. Toward the end of the ride the temperature climbed into the 90's and we really felt that last big climb at mile 36. But this was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had in a long time thanks to Joe. More photos on my SmugMug site.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 03-21-2014 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    I had a great time on this ride. Steve (once again) taught me many things about this fantastic trail, the flora and fauna, and some principles involved in maintaining energy throughout a long ride. I also found Steve's skills have improved since last riding with him (August) which have allowed him to ride more rough/rocky sections ... resulting in an increase in speed. This trail took us to some pretty remote areas yet I am still surprised we saw no other riders ... none.

I was pretty stiff and tired for a couple of days ... having biked 38 miles with close to 5,000 feet of climbing. But Steve ... he proceeded to do a 50+ mile ride two days later with almost 6,000 feet of climbing (on the Black Canyon Trail)!

I hope to get around to posting some photos here in the near future. You can see all my photos by clicking the "MY Photos" button below.

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm shooting out to Phoenix next weekend to do a few short rides. We plan to do a 20+ mile out and back from Picketpost on Saturday, then another out and back on BCT the next day on Sunday, hopefully 20+ miles also.

Thanks for sharing the pics. They are always great to see as are your reports.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Picketpost Mountain and AZtrail

Just did Picketpost and about 10 mile on the AZ trail. Cacti and other plants in nice bloom for the next few weeks.

Not the most technical trail, but a crash would be very unforgiving on this trail, so you need to be on your toes at all times. Anyone visiting phoenix, this would be top pick for epic rides along with BCT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arizona Trail-mtbr_09.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_05.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_08.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_03.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_01.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_02.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_07.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_11.jpg  

Arizona Trail-mtbr_12.jpg  

26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Gnarly
    Amazing pics of some beautiful landscapes and nature! Thanks for sharing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

official eMpTyBRain
    Picketpost kicked our butts on Saturday. It was a bit too warm and we just couldn't drink enough fluids to keep hydrated. It's a tough trail. Constantly requiring your attention. We made it out to the 10 mile lookout and then headed back.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Prime
    I wish that I had more time to ride and condition my legs, the PP to Kelvin is on my list that I would love to ride. I 4x4 all through that area regularly, it's simply beautiful out there.