Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Currently in Exile

Appoaching hikers from behind?

While riding some nice wooded singletrack, I often find myself aproaching hikers from behind. It seems that no matter what I do, I startle them. If I shout out from a distance, they jump. If I wait until I am almost up to them and speak in a normal tone of voice, they jump. If I grab big handfuls of brake and make them squeal like a pig, the hikers really jump.

It seems that the hiker species is a bit.......jumpy. Or at the very least skittish. So, how do I make these fragile creatures aware of my aproach without startling them? I know that if this keep happening that I will end up as the poster child for trail closure.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr dismember

Cough

When I am still a bit away I fake a few coughs. Seems to work very well.

My Member Rides a MTB
    Yeah, I sometimes do the fake cough as well if I'm riding casually, and it seems to work. If I'm really hauling ass I simply shout, "On your left!" or "On your right!", obviously depending on which side I'm planning on cruising past them. They sometimes are startled, yes, but it's better than being run over.
    '05 Giant Trance 2
    '06 Giant OCR1

The writer is the engineer of the human soul. -Joseph Stalin

mtbr member
    I use a bell (one ding) to get their attention if the tires aren't noisy enough on the leaves or gravel.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    On my bikes with v-brakes, I flick the brake levers a few times to make an audible clicking sound as I approach. When they turn around, I just give them a big smile, say "Hi there!", ride past and say "Pardon me. Thank you!"

Can't do the same when I have the bike with the hydro brakes - they don't click.

My pants are smart.
    Jun 2004
    i exude my love for the trail so much that they catch my vibes, and when i pass them they usually have an onset of depression because they realize how much more fun i am having than them.

but when i am not on drugs, my bike makes so much damn noise squeaking and creaking and rattling, the hikers i come up on have already turned around just to see what the damn racket is behind them.

Village Dirtbag
    I usually wait until I'm about two seconds away, and if they don't move I yell "share the f'in trail you a$$hole!".

Just kidding. Usually I just do like you do. At some distance, I'll say "Hey...how ya doin'?", or if I'm going pretty quick I'll say "comin' up on yer left". (I spelled the words in the quotes like that because I try to use a calm, casual, laid back voice like that when I talk to them). I do try to slow down quite a bit while passing though.
    I suppose if I went on heavily used trails I'd probably get a bell.

mtbr member
    I usually just say "hello" in a calm but happy voice. They still jump. Even when I'm going quite slowly they run off the trail like I'm a maniac. I've notice some hubs that make a really loud freewheel noise. That could be helpful. Or maybe hubs that play a song instead of just making that clicky noise.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Big dorky bell. Iooked high and low for a bell with a sharp, high tone (many are too weak and can't be heard easily from a distance). I ended up with the Cat Eye "Wind Chime" or "Wind Bell" -- something like that -- that I found at REI. Very crisp.

I give them a ring while I'm still a good distance behind them -- never close enough to startle them. Usually gotta slow down anyway, but at least this way they know I'm behind them before I wisper "Hello" in their ear.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Even when I'm going quite slowly they run off the trail like I'm a maniac.
    I've noticed that too. I usually slow down to walking pace, say in a normal tone "Hi, how's it going?" And they FREAK out. Grab the dogs & kids and lunge off the trail like I'm some serial killer running around with a chainsaw.

It used to bother me. Now I find a little humor in it.

Maybe I'll try coming up and saying "MMMMMM... that baby looks DELICIOUS!". I already get the crazy reaction, I might as well earn it.

Play all day
    yup, I'm a bell boy all the way. When I first got my bell several years ago, my brother laughed at me and told me that he'd buy me some handlebar tassles to go with it, but now he often asks me to go first when we know we're gonna pass hikers.. A bell is easy. I just ding it a couple times when I'm like 30 yards away, and if they don't turn, I ding it again, when I'm closer. Some people get startled no matter what. I think it's funny to see people trip over themselves. I usually appologize and say hi.

On a side note, I've only met one unruly hiker in my years of biking, but he saw me from far away as he approached form the opposite direction. He started cussing at me and told me that I better not run into him. Then he started cussing some more and told me to slow down. The thing is I was going uphill on a fairly steep wide section of single track. I told him that if I slowed down anymore I'd fall over. This was met by more cussing. That guy had some issues..

gravity curmudgeon

Bell

A bell works great; otherwise I say something like "bikes on your left." And I slow way down for pedestrians and say something like "thanks, great day isn't it?" We're all ambasadors for mountain biking.

BTW, if you have never hiked on a trail with mountain bikers, it is really hard to understand how vulnerable a person on foot can feel when a bike cruises by, even at speeds that feel "slow" to the cyclist. Perspective is everything, and it is wrong (in my opinion) to assume that because you feel safe, others should feel safe too. For those willing to have an open mind, a good "experiment" would be to hike a commonly biked trail with your girl friend, mom, younger sister/brother, kid, grand parent, etc. You might see things a little differently and have a little more emphathy for hikers. And if some moron on a bike blasts past you and someone you care about, you might find yourself looking for that person at the trailhead with a big stick in hand, even if you are "Joe mountain biking activist." YMMV.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Scream like I'm Outacontrol!

Go as fast as i can at'em Screamin ' like i'm out of control or no brakes, They usually Jump out of the way! No really i use the cough method ..."ughgh excuse me mind if i pass?" then they usually get all huffy! the ones i hate are the walkman wearers...You could have a bullhorn and they still wouldn't hear ya! so i end up scaring the Sh!t out of 'em as i pass through!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by cowDawg
    ABTW, if you have never hiked on a trail with mountain bikers, it is really hard to understand how vulnerable a person on foot can feel when a bike cruises by, even at speeds that feel "slow" to the cyclist. Perspective is everything
    Absolutely! We are "in the groove", heart racing, adrenalin flowing, and what's slow to us can still pretty fast to a hiker.

But I walk my dogs on the trails and know that (a) some bikers are not as courteous as others and (b) excited dogs can be a nuisance to bikes and to themselves.

I completely agree with the "ambassador" comment -- I never so hurried riding that I can't have a 5 second conversation with a hiker, stop to pet a curious dog, or step aside for a horse. Feel like a politician kissing babies sometimes.

Kn3wB1e
    I just shift gears rappidly and unnessiccarily. other wise I'll say "ay ay! YO!! AY!!" and they move. otherwise if i'm in the city and since i'm pretty agile on the road or sidewalk (where i ride as opposed to the road) I just dont say any thing and just swerve around people without warning. they're usually like"[SIZE=6]Assh0le! [/SIZE]"

AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!
    The problem with saying "on your left" is that half the time the hiker/biker/whoever promptly becomes totally confused and themselves move left. Then they look back and see you right behind them and then they cower in fear, bracing for impact, while giggling sheepishly at their mistake and apologizing all the while. Now I admit I do use the "on your right/left" method, I'm just not lulled into a false sense of security in assuming that the passee understands the intricacies of its utilization. I think a good bell is a good idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Currently I have a bit of play in my brake levers so I slow down and click them to get attention, I try not to pass unless the hiker is aware that I'm coming, or I'm far enough away that if they guess wrong they won't be right in front of me.

I find its really easy to hear some bikes coming, but a smooth rider can really be pretty silent.

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    While riding some nice wooded singletrack, I often find myself aproaching hikers from behind. It seems that no matter what I do, I startle them. If I shout out from a distance, they jump. If I wait until I am almost up to them and speak in a normal tone of voice, they jump. If I grab big handfuls of brake and make them squeal like a pig, the hikers really jump.

It seems that the hiker species is a bit.......jumpy. Or at the very least skittish. So, how do I make these fragile creatures aware of my aproach without startling them? I know that if this keep happening that I will end up as the poster child for trail closure.
    Just get some more speed, let go the brakes and just roll right over 'em or bunny hop them!

Just kidding! All the above methods seem to work at various times. I try to look if they are wearing a walkman or something and yell a little louder from a distance. I also have a bell on one of my bikes. Sometimes I whistle, especially when coming around blind corners (which there are a lot of in China Camp). Just rest easy in the satisfaction and good karma that you are at least trying to do the right thing. It's not your fault that the hikers aren't paying attention.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

Hairy man

From behind?

I prefer missionary, but what can I say, I'm old-fashioned.

old timer retro grouch...
    ov
    Quote Originally Posted by abegetchell
    ... If I'm really hauling ass I simply shout, "On your left!" or "On your right!", obviously depending on which side I'm planning on cruising past them. They sometimes are startled, yes, but it's better than being run over.
    I hope you slow down. If not, please do! A walking pace on bike seems painfully slow. When hiking it seems fairly fast and you don't hear anything until the least second and it is startling. Try hiking a few trails and you'll get the idea.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Sixth or Seventh on the Bell idea

I got a bell and was mocked for it until everyone noticed how effective it was. Usually ring it at what I think is the limit of hearing distance and then once every few seconds or so until they notice it. The bell sound really carries better than a voice does over distance.

Turner Homer
    Well last fall me and my friend were out riding on a fireroad at Grafton State Park. Then here comes this jogger coming towards us, and we just assumed that he saw us coming, but here comes the weird part. The guy had to have just looked side to side like ten times, and all those times he did not even notice us. Then when he finally noticed us, he had to have jumped a mile, and then he said nothing and he just kept runing, and this just kept me and my friend laughing. So I guess some joggers/hikers are the casue of their own fright, becasue they are in a zone.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Goose 'em.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    [I just tell my dog to "SIC "EM!" she does all the work for me...

Reviewer/Tester
    I usually try to dismount if the hiker isn't aware that i'm right there behind them...then I walk up to them with my bike and say "Hi, nice day, isn't it" or something similiar..

If the hiker is coming towards me, I dismount and pull off the trail to the side and let them walk past first. I always say "hello" and smile.

Why do I do this?

Because I am a sometimes hiker too, and it does our image on the trails no good at all if we don't give way to people walking.

Imo, pedestrians must come before any type of powered vehicle, even if it human-powered like a bike.

If you don't agree with this, try hiking yourself on a trail used by bikers.

I have only ever met one guy who didn't respond favourably to my method of dismounting and saying hello, he was really abusive about bikes on the track in general, so I figure he must have had some bad experience with rude bikers in the past.

I have met some really nice and interesting people on the tracks over the years, if you take the time to stop and say hello.

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast