mtn biker in a city
    Feb 2004

apartment bike storage

hello all. I'm moving to a new place and in the current dump i was able to put j hooks in the ceiling and hang my two bikes from the cieling. For the new place this is not a possibility. In fact they strongly discourage any holes of any kind anywhere.

Is there an easier way than just leaning them up against the wall? currently have a limited budget for the project; as the whol first/deposit last month rent is draining me.

Also there is a small patio 6*8 or so but theres naught but wood to lock them too and were only in a 2 story building so I'd not to give a crafty criminal the chance to somehow get up on the patio and have himself a go at my merlin or my cross bike

thanks, in advance, you guys have always come through

mtbr member

They may discourage it, but....

I would do the hooks anyhow and before you move out fill them with filler and re-paint? I agree that the 2nd floor balcony is not a place to leave your rides!

TJ

mtbr member

Links here.

Here are some links to threads regarding bike storage.

Easy/cheap college apt. bike storage ideas?

Good bike storage solutions for an apt.?

I particularily like this poster's DIY solution:
    New bike organization for my apartment
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

Part-time rider
    No holes, no mess. Just your generic bike stand (this one was from Nashbar) and a vinyl sheet (from Home Depot) to protect the carpet.

K-Zero
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm going to build one of those big wooden ones with shelves, ect. Even thinking about making it bigger and making a dresser with drawers ect. on the other end.

apt organizers

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I'm going to build one of those big wooden ones with shelves, ect. Even thinking about making it bigger and making a dresser with drawers ect. on the other end.
    By the time my girlfriend got her bike and added it to the rack (where the helmet was hanging), the whole thing had settled about half an inch! When I put her bike on, the rack started moving a whole lot. I ended up having to add even more shims to make sure it was tightly wedged against the ceiling.

I REALLY want to put some better shims on it, though. When I was building it, my idea was to use something like the feet for washers, dryers, and refrigerators...for leveling out the appliance. I think they'd work well for this, also. No more ugly shims.

I also added another 2x4 about 6" beneath the one where the bike hooks are located. The wheels rest against it, and the pressure on the hooks is more pulling away from the wall, instead of straight down towards the floor. As an added bonus, it raises the bikes a couple inches, allowing for more tool/parts storage beneath the bikes. At some point, I'm going to put more shelves/hooks on it to manage some of my parts and tools.

Nate

Dream it, Do it.

Polecat bike storage - Another option

Another good option is the Polecat storage system. Excel Sports carries the Polecat.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=9&minor=3

Instead of hanging the bikes parallel to the wall, the Polecat hangs the bikes perpendicular to the wall, so it's a really compact system for storing bikes in a corner. Also, you can also add hooks for skis.

mtbr member

not that easy...

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I would do the hooks anyhow and before you move out fill them with filler and re-paint? I agree that the 2nd floor balcony is not a place to leave your rides!

TJ
    If you put holes i nthe ceiling, its probably a textured ceiling and that's a problem. filling the holes and repainting it will not cover the issue. You'd have to get someone who knows how to blend texture, and for the size of the holes, its not worth it... or you could put plant hanger hooks in the existing holes after you remove your other hooks