Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anything reignite your love for MTB?

For me, it was switching back to flats on one bike. What about you? Have you ever felt like you were just going through the motions and then, all of a sudden something changed, and you found yourself with new challenges eager to learn, re-learn, etc. Maybe an injury, financial issues, moving, new job? I like to hear people's stories so, if you don't mind sharing...

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ya, cancer. Laying in a hospital bed wondering if i would ever see a trail again or see tommorrow for that matter. That did it for me. Get in every ride i can now not knowing if i will be back in that hospital. sorry to start you thread this way, don't wanna sound bitter cause i'm not. Just happy to be alive and riding again.

mtbr member
    Wow! Awesome thank you for sharing and best of luck to you.

Posted via mobile

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have never lost the want to MTB, But it was always a bit of a battle to go away with my wife saying so I will just stay home & baby sit then.

Best thing I have done is at the beginning of the year I brought a camper van.

On Monday we went away for 3 days MTB & got back 9pm on Wed night, my wife was in a hurry to get the MTB all cleaned up so quite a late night.

Before we went to bed that night she said I want to go back tomorrow for another 4 days.

I was raining the next day so we just got our gear all ready & will head off for 3 days in a couple of hours.

Some times its more about making it easier for everyone to enjoy.

mtbr member
    Haha and in my case, going back to flats, it was about making it harder! Love it.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Fitness
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    New parts and upgrades are awesome to keep the fire burning. But I know eventually I will run out of stuff to buy if I buy it all at once. SO, I plan for each holiday season to upgrade one aspect of my bike. THis year I got a whole new frontend..AWESOME. Been riding 5 times a week eversence I did it.
    THis winter = Drivetrain
    Next winter = Brakes
    After that = WHeels
    After that = ........

THere you go 5 years worth of modivation and planing :-)

RIDE!!

PS ~ MTBR during work is awesome "bike Stuff" in the office = fuel to the MTB FIRE!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Haha awesome.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Anything reignite your love for MTB?

When I discovered single speeding it quickly became an obsession just as regular mountain biking had been when I first started.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Fat-tired Roadie
    Moving to a place with better access to trails. This time two years ago, I had to drive 30-50 minutes to get to trails. Add time getting my bike and gear loaded and unloaded, and it was probably a once-a-week thing.

Last year, I moved to a new town. I now live ten minutes' ride from some really awesome trails. There's also a riding spot about ten minutes away from my new office. I'm able to ride my mountain bike three times many weeks, and do some running and a little road riding too.

My commute's a bummer, but all life is compromise. I'm thinking about looking around a little and finding a job within riding distance of home.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Time in the clink/state-mandated sobriety for me. I rode when I was a kid, but got too busy being a **** up for way too long. Jail time was the perfect wake-up call; I was already clean, just needed something to do in the afternoon to replace sitting on the porch and getting drunk. Quit everything with the one-step program; just found something to replace it. Now bikes run my life. Its a lot like being a drunk, but quite a bit better for you as it turns out.

mtbr member

Re: Anything reignite your love for MTB?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Time in the clink/state-mandated sobriety for me. I rode when I was a kid, but got too busy being a **** up for way too long. Jail time was the perfect wake-up call; I was already clean, just needed something to do in the afternoon to replace sitting on the porch and getting drunk. Quit everything with the one-step program; just found something to replace it. Now bikes run my life. Its a lot like being a drunk, but quite a bit better for you as it turns out.
    I'm the son of an alcoholic /opiate addict who's got 6 years of amazing recovery so I really appreciate you sharing.

Posted via mobile

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have never lost the want to MTB, But it was always a bit of a battle to go away with my wife saying so I will just stay home & baby sit then.

Best thing I have done is at the beginning of the year I brought a camper van.

On Monday we went away for 3 days MTB & got back 9pm on Wed night, my wife was in a hurry to get the MTB all cleaned up so quite a late night.

Before we went to bed that night she said I want to go back tomorrow for another 4 days.

I was raining the next day so we just got our gear all ready & will head off for 3 days in a couple of hours.

Some times its more about making it easier for everyone to enjoy.
    If your watching your own kid, I don't think you can call it baby sitting.

I said the sitting thing once back when... didn't go over too well with the wife.

mtbr member
    Doing some trailbuilding.

mtbr member
    Simply riding my bike did it for me. I hadn't been out in over a year as life just got in the way. One day I went for a ride and just thought "holy **** why aren't I doing this more often!".

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I rode a 6 inch full suspension bike, it reminded me how much I love my rigid singlespeed. I ride uphill too much for full squish. Also, the legs are coming back, that's getting me pretty stoked.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've always loved being outside, riding just makes
    it more fun.

Resident Gear Head
    Going from a hardtail XC 29er to a full suspension trail 27.5" totally changed the sport for me. The right bike makes all the difference.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Once in, I've never gotten out, but definitely peaks and valleys in terms of ride stoke. Learning a new skill helps reignite it for me. After putting some work into step ups and side step up to skinnies, among other things, suddenly everything in the forest and city seems doable. Like a kid in a candy store, I am.

Also, spring time trail clean up, turned stunt building. I leave every possible log skinny, log over, etc... in a place where I can ride it. The challenge/reward cycle of learning and trying new things is addictive to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Anything reignite your love for MTB?

Went away to college, didn't ride for 2.5 years except a times when I was at home briefly. Finally brought the bike back last spring to school, and it's become the best destressor for me. Now biking is my primary motivation for doing work durning the week
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    ya, cancer. Laying in a hospital bed wondering if i would ever see a trail again or see tommorrow for that matter. That did it for me. Get in every ride i can now not knowing if i will be back in that hospital. sorry to start you thread this way, don't wanna sound bitter cause i'm not. Just happy to be alive and riding again.
    Hat's off to you; keep riding and keeping fighting

Vincit qui patitur
    Too many of friends have had sudden health issues and decided it's time to live life at it's fullest.
    "Live for today for there may be no tomorrow"
    Started riding a little over 2 years ago and have had the time of my life.
    I now have 9 bikes in the garage and am looking at getting another for AM riding.
    I'll be 50 this year and I won't let life pass me by.
    BTW My fiance is just as excited about riding as I am. That makes it easier for me to get new bikes and parts.
    I may also change career paths now too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    To the fiancé support: Yeah mine is the same, we just ordered her a kick new carbon girly bike (giant lust 2 advanced) and she couldn't be happier.

Posted via mobile

ride it like you stole it
    Riding with my kids (5yr and 3yr). Seeing the fun of riding bikes through their eyes is the way it's meant to be! Everything is new, every little challenge conquered is a huge celebration, and it's all about having fun!

mtbr member
    Winter. After five months of cold and lots of skiing, I'm ready for spring and riding. By November I'll be tired of riding and looking forward to skiing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast