Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Anything reignite your love for MTB?-img-20140424-00680.jpg

Oh One more thing!! Finding this ^^^ or anything "new", if it's awesome....go back!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I took my bike with me to college but it did nothing but sit for the first couple of years. By my junior year I had gained a lot of weight and used the bike on a trainer to lose it, but didn't do any trail riding. My senior year though I found some local trails that were right down the street from my apartment that were fantastic. Using those trails to get away for a while, plus the trails themselves being a whole lot better than what was at home at the time when I stopped mountain biking, brought me right back into the sport.

mtbr member

Re: Anything reignite your love for MTB?

Quote Originally Posted by TWilliams42 View Post
    Riding with my kids (5yr and 3yr). Seeing the fun of riding bikes through their eyes is the way it's meant to be! Everything is new, every little challenge conquered is a huge celebration, and it's all about having fun!
    This was also the case with my fiancé. Before September she'd never ridden a bicycle in her life. Now she's completed a 45 mile sanctioned road ride and loves to hit the trails (she is moving on to intermediate stuff too!) keep it up man!

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I'm the son of an alcoholic /opiate addict who's got 6 years of amazing recovery so I really appreciate you sharing.

Posted via mobile
    I don't mean to trivialize addiction by comparing it to MTB, or by saying it was easy to kick, but having The Man make the decision for me was a huge help.

I prefer to think of it as seven years on the bike rather than seven years on the wagon.

mtbr member
    I put the bike away for a decade after I got married the first time. Divorce, and new outdoor loving friends got me in a bike shop for new tires for the old bike. Walked out not with new tires but a new Epic. Four years later I'm totally addicted. A fat tire bike this past winter was huge. I was able to ride out of my backyard almost every day vs the usual hour drive to find trails. It's an addiction/distraction that has helped me maintain my sanity the past year as my wife has been battling cancer. The ability to go out and think only of the trail ahead of me for a few hours has been invaluable.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I don't mean to trivialize addiction by comparing it to MTB, or by saying it was easy to kick, but having The Man make the decision for me was a huge help.

I prefer to think of it as seven years on the bike rather than seven years on the wagon.
    No not at all. Plenty if people wake up with government intervention.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I do the occasional race just for fun, and after each one I'm super stoked for riding again.

addicted to chunk
    Never really lost the passion for riding, but the fatbike has opened up more possibilities than I ever thought. Snow, beach, random exploring, great fun.
    Riding.....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Never really lost the passion for riding, but the fatbike has opened up more possibilities than I ever thought. Snow, beach, random exploring, great fun.
    Yeah that's kind of what I mean by reignite :-)

Posted via mobile

One by Nine is Fine
    "Re-ignite" wouldn't be the right word, but when my kid got into NICA high school MTB racing, I definitely got out on the trails more, stepped up my fitness a couple of notches, and riding became even more enjoyable. (Except for the last hour of weekly team rides, that is. Them highschool kids be fast.)

If you have a middle or high school kid, definitely check this stuff out:
    NICA Leagues

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Anything reignite your love for MTB?

Found a trail system about 2 miles from my house. I get out 2-3 times a week now. Before, I'd wait until I had the time to load up and hit the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Doesn't take much for me. Every month, when my Decline and MBA magazines arrive in my mailbox or when I watch a video of someone biking online.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have been passionate about mountain biking since my first off road ride 25 years ago. However I have had to live in places where the riding is not great, winter too long and work interfered with it. The last 15 years I have always headed South, usually to Utah to ride over Christmas holidays and this has always been the highlight of my year. I filled the time with road, commuting, and less epic riding until last summer. I retired last summer and moved to Cumberland, BC and now have two great trail systems within riding distance of my house. One is literally five minutes away and the other is a thirty minute pedal. They have a different feel which keeps things interesting. I have met some great guys to ride with and also do quite a bit solo(which I love). Now it's all mountain biking, all the time.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Spring fever got a hold of me like a mofo this year after a seemingly endless winter. Quitting smoking has me obsessed with riding too. Replace smoking with riding. Actually, I quit the trifecta of cigs, weed and drinking all at once. Biking is a good motivation and replacement for all that. Maybe I'll be able to have a beer again some time without it making me want to smoke, but right now I just want to ride. Too bad I live in one of the worst places for mountain biking. Moving back to Montana has been on my mind heavily.

Fat-tired Roadie
    When my doctor told me I had to stop drinking, I pretty much stopped enjoying Manhattan. That got me started on the path that has led me back to the West Coast.

Still miss getting trashed on occasion, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Spring fever got a hold of me like a mofo this year after a seemingly endless winter. Quitting smoking has me obsessed with riding too. Replace smoking with riding. Actually, I quit the trifecta of cigs, weed and drinking all at once. Biking is a good motivation and replacement for all that. Maybe I'll be able to have a beer again some time without it making me want to smoke, but right now I just want to ride. Too bad I live in one of the worst places for mountain biking. Moving back to Montana has been on my mind heavily.
    Are you in Florida like me? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    When my doctor told me I had to stop drinking, I pretty much stopped enjoying Manhattan. That got me started on the path that has led me back to the West Coast.

Still miss getting trashed on occasion, though.
    Glad that you're healthy, though.

Posted via mobile

Retro on Steroids
    A new bike always helps to keep the enthusiasm level up. Going 650-B soon.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funny, I'm thinking about doing that to my old Hardrock. It has more clearance than it needs. Probably.

Are you getting a whole new bike or doing a conversion?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have been riding Mtn bikes since 1990. I was fortunate to go to college in Colorado and just got hooked and rode all the great places. I switched to Kayaking for a number of years but always came back to the bike.

The first FS bikes really made it more fun for me, but then I built up a hardtail and that was fun too.

What really got me into it was starting to ride DH. At first it was on my regular bike, but once I got a true DH bike it became an addiction. Every year for the last 5 years I go on a road trip from CO to Whistler and hit many place in between. My skills on the bike have improved dramatically.

I find DH to be like another sport almost and its nice to have 2 (or 3) bike related sports. I pedal during the week when I have less time and try to DH on Sundays. To me its a perfect blend that keeps me excited either way. If I feel I am getting burnt out on one aspect of riding, I just switch it up. I like to take the Dirt Jumper out too from time to time.

Variety.. I guess that is my main point..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Are you in Florida like me? Lol
    Ha, no. ND/MN border. Flat like Florida but freezing 6 months out of the year.

MTB B'dos
    Like Muzz and the others, never lost the passion for it, just small island, not many involved in making/maintaining trails, so they can get old, getting new guys into MTBing who are passionate and have been helping with trail building and finding has helped a lot.
    Also got a Banshee Prime 2 years ago and it brought some serious fun, but then it also took it away as it was just such a monster truck, bit too easy, even on the hard stuff, just got a Banshee Phantom, don't miss the 25mm less rear travel or 20mm front, but do enjoy being more connected to the trail and having to work a tiny bit more than with the Prime and the efficiency of the shorter travel. Recent long, 4 day weekends with 2 good days riding with some passionate friends, who don't complain on my slaughter routes, certainly has also helped with the stoke.

Screen grab of me enjoying the Phantom on yesterdays 5 hour bank holiday ride.

Anything reignite your love for MTB?-lynx-lucious-hill-1.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    A new bike always helps to keep the enthusiasm level up. Going 650-B soon.
    Go fat not 650/27.5. Same sense of adventure you found nearly (gasp) 40 years ago. Go new places that you've always wanted to go on a bike but those skinny tired steeds weren't up to the task.

This, and my kid getting into NICA racing has kept my enthusiasm up. It had been a long long time before this winter that I wanted to gear up and go for a ride in the woods when it was 12*. Now I'm finding the fatty to be so much fun for general trail riding I want to go when it's nice, when it's raining and pretty much all the time. Beach riding next!

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    The thing that got me a bit energized is not some altruistic idea or some glorious idea but just that I finally beat someone on a bike. I have always been the fat slow kid (and adult) so while I would ride, it was always the group waiting for me. I always had a good time, but after working out hard and losing some weight I finally got to where I could actually *gasp* beat someone up a climb who is fatter or at least slower than me. That may sound dumb but if you have always been the fat slow kid, it is a monumental shift to actually have others gasping and sweating more than me.

Oh and fast flowing single track just makes everyone giggle and want to ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    Strava. Love it or hate it, it's a heckuva motivator.

Also, studded tires and sub-zero temperatures....the challenge of commuting all winter, and the bonus of being in shape right at the start of spring is a sweet deal.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ride On
    I rode as a teen in Ontario in the early 90's (Trek 850 anyone?) I loved that bike and the riding... I moved out west to BC in 94 and despite living in a mecca of mountain bike riding life took me places I didn't always want to go. Last year my mum passed after a short and horrible battle with cancer. She enjoyed barely a year of her retirement I miss you mum.

That experience crystallized in the most visceral way the shortness of life. I promised to focus on the important things in mine, my family, friends, myself. My mountain biking rebirth has been just so awesome, I'm so thankful to the new friends I have made, the time in the woods, the wrenching in the garage, this community... Its all good.
    Michael

Ride on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2