mtbr member

Anyone using a Vaude Off Road 10+2 saddle bag?

A LBS has one of these in stock. It looks neat, but I am wary that it will sway a bunch. I'm looking to replace my current old trunk bag, that rests on the top of my rack. It works well, except that it has no support, so when it's not very full, it likes to flop onto the side of the rack. I'm also considering getting a different trunk bag, but I'm curious what people have to say about the Vaude bag. I'd mostly be commuting with it, and if it didn't flop around too much, I'd take it mountain biking.

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de...ucts/152540400

is buachail foighneach me
    the method of securing it to the seatpost looks kinda scary. not much surface area on the front. looks like it would dig into aluminum and carbon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    the method of securing it to the seatpost looks kinda scary. not much surface area on the front. looks like it would dig into aluminum and carbon...
    Hey hey. Yeah, that does seem to be a weak point with it. I wouldn't be using it on a carbon post. For aluminum, I'd imagine wrapping the post in a old inner tube would protect against it digging in on the front.

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for it.

The other bag I'm eying is an Arkel trunk bag. They're lovely looking bags, and I think I'm ready to cough up the $100 for one.

if you're ready to cough up that much money, why not just lose the rack and go with one of these:

http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com/?page_id=8

you'll save a bunch of weight.

the only rack trunk i've ever had that didn't flop was an avenir model that had a strap on the end to attatch to the raise bar at the front of the rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    if you're ready to cough up that much money, why not just lose the rack and go with one of these:

http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com/?page_id=8

you'll save a bunch of weight.

the only rack trunk i've ever had that didn't flop was an avenir model that had a strap on the end to attatch to the raise bar at the front of the rack.
    Well that's a nice looking seat post bag! Have you used one? Do they sway or bounce around much?

I'm not too concerned about weight at all, but having something that would work rackless would be a huge benefit for my mtb.

I'm positive this wouldn't flop over the way the cloth trunk bag I have now does. But that epic designs bag looks lovely.

i (shame) don't have one yet. i've seen them in use plenty of times though. they really don't sway or bounce much if at all that i could see. the roll top closure(like a dry bag closure) allows you to pack it tightly to avoid that. most of the racers in the alaska ultrasport and gdr use either eric's bags or one from other manufacturers.