Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?

I really like my Brooks saddles on my road and commuter bikes, very comfy. Thinking of getting one for the mountain vie but concerned with durability and they are heavy. Anyone have experience with Brooks saddle on mountain bike and if so what model? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Absolutely wouldn't ride anything else!!Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-316574_304211009588998_100000003035496_1499139_1901148938_n.jpg

AZ
    banned
    Chopped B-17.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-2963112451_a21711ae8f_z.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Love me Flyer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-fatso-full.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I have 3 Brooks' (2 B-17s and a Team Pro) and all on MTBs (here's 2 of them)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-imag0008.jpg  

Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-imag0086.jpg  

Air Pirate
    Have one on my drop-bar full-rigid bike. Gives a bit of low-tech suspension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-hardtailbrooks.jpg  

"You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yup, I run a Brooks B17 limited edition swallow with TI rails. Super comfy once she is broken in. This is on my full time bike. Ooozes style in my opinion

mtbr member
    Have a Brooks on my commuter/tourer but I went for a Velo Orange on my mountain bike that's the same suspended leather style. Much cheaper when on sale so I don't worry as much about banging it up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Brooks Ti Swallow. Great comfort and light weight "for a Brooks ".

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is the Brooks one are suitable when you are riding? i think it is hard

jl
    climb
    Brooks Swift
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-img_4388.jpg  

Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    Brooks Ti Swallow. Great comfort and light weight "for a Brooks ".
    Great lookin ride man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    Brooks Swift
    Beautiful dog.....and scenery.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

Chamois Dropper
    I have a B17, used it on my old KHS when I rode it on the trail. I switch it around and use it in the KHS or my old cromo GT when I ride them on the street sometimes. I love the look and feel of the saddle, but with unpredictable Florida thunderstorms, I don't really use it that much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-khs01.jpg  

2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    B-17 on my Jamis Dragon 29er. Love it.

mtbr member
    I've got a B17 Standard on my El Mariachi and I wouldn't ever change it.

Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-mariachi.jpg
    Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right, then it's not the end.

My Bikes

mtbr member
    I have a love and hate about brooks saddles,
    I have one that i currently dont use. its crazy comfy on a commuter bike where your sitting position is always the same...on my Mountain bike, i find I move around too much and end up to many times sittings on the rivets(unconfortable) . Brooks are good saddles but they only work in one sitting position.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i ran a b17 imperial on my redline for a while, but ended up taking it off for fear of ruining a great saddle. i might put it back on though, as my skill level improves the ammount of time im rubbing trees decreases

Lord Thunderbottom
    Flyer FTW!

mtbr member
    I used a B17 Standard on my Singular Swift for some time. It was really, really comfy, with or without padded shorts. I had no problems riding it under rain, just applyed some Proofide one or two times a year. Weight was a non problem. But then I began riding with a group of more agressive riders, and the B17's width was a serious problem on some step trails, causing disconfort and some dangerous OTBs. The B17 had to go.

If I had enough money I would simply get a Swallow or a Swift, but I'm not ready to spend 130 on a saddle, so I began trying more conventional plastic seats. I went to a SLR, horrible, a Charge Spoon that nearly skinned my rear end and then a Fizik Gobi XM. The Gobi was the best of the three, but only if I keept riding almost every day with it. Tired of unconfortable saddles, I was on the verge of purchasing a Sallow. Then I saw a WTB Silverado on a LBS clearance for 18. Had to try it.

What an huge surprise, the Silverado has a shape that I find to be remarkably similar to the B17 with that flat top. I find it really confortable, with or without padded shorts. Obviously it lacks the give of the leather, but I found that the biggest confort factor of the Brooks was indeed the shape.
    So, for anyone that likes the B17 but is looking for a lighter/more water resistant/cheaper/narrower you should give a look at the Silverado

mtbr member
    I have a B17 on a vintage road bike and I love it on there. I think it would probably be too wide for my liking on a MTB though. Plus with the idea of keeping a Brooks for (nearly) life, I'd be worried about trashing a well worn one on a MTB. Just me though.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Chopped B-17.
    doesn't look comfortable

mtbr member
    I am going to give brooks a chance on the mtb. 20 min without padded shorts felt fine, we'll see how 2 hours tomorrow treats me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-032.jpg  

Single Speed Junkie
    Been running brooks on the mountain bikes for over 15 years now. Still have the first saddle. They are fine unless your crashing on rocks or concrete a lot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast