Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the new Brooks C17 on my mountain bike and like

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I put a NOS 1970's Brooks B5N (same shape as the b17n) on my fargo, it started out really dry and stiff, but broke in to my liking within 1000 miles. My coworker who is a huge brooks fan says mine is still way way way too stiff, but I don't think I would like it is it was softer.

also, whomever asked about the brooks+thudbuster combo. I highly recommend it as long as you aren't a weight weenie.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    B-17, love it!

Cheers,
    P.T.
    Could it be that the mystery has been hanging out hiding in a whiskey shot?

mtbr member
    It never dawned on me until right now that it is easy to get off the back with the 100mm bottom bracket.

I will have to check it out on the 29er and see what is up... Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    It depends a lot on what do you define as technical terrain

As you might see, I'm on a B17 standard in those pics. I'm finding it easier to get behind it on the Pugsley, because of the wide 100mm BB.

Today I received the B17 Narrow. Confirmed that it was way too narrow, I was sitting on the metal frame. Sold it right away. A good thing is that the leather on that one was incredibly thick, something like 5.5mm. My old B17 is around 4mm, and I read reports that the Select B17 is not much over 4.5mm
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the new Brooks Cambium on my mountain bike. Great seat for getting dirty and comfy. Little lighter than than the other Brooks saddles.
    BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | CAMBIUM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?

Both - B17 on the Sawyer and Pro on the SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Just got a B-17 for the El Mariachi Ti...like it so much I'm probably going to get a Ti rail version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-aecedd96c75211e38b080002c9db6d9c_8.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Another lover for the C17. Only been on a couple rides, but it is quite the nice saddle. I've removed the B17 in favor of the C17 on my Blizzard, but the pro will go back on my MUSS. It's nice to have longer rails, but the clamp on my RF post doesn't allow me to take full advantage. Guess I'll finally have to get the Thomson and stop comin up with excuses. I must admit that it's strange to ride an Italian rubber Brooks, but so far it's been a pleasant surprise.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Yes. Here we call them hipsters

mtbr member
    I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned what happens when you try to ride the nose of the saddle on steep ups. It ain't pleasant. You can praise Brooks saddles for many things, but being taint-friendly isn't one of them. I guess it's just me and how I ride my hilly terrain in CT.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post

Yes. Here we call them hipsters
    I think you have us confused with those kids who won't get off your lawn. Is your name a reference to ambergris?
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I think you have us confused with those kids who won't get off your lawn. Is your name a reference to ambergris?
    Not confused. Only a hipster could cleverly use a word such as ambergris.....well done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned what happens when you try to ride the nose of the saddle on steep ups. It ain't pleasant. You can praise Brooks saddles for many things, but being taint-friendly isn't one of them. I guess it's just me and how I ride my hilly terrain in CT.
    Where do you think the phrase "on the rivet" comes from? If you are riding the nose of a Brooks and you aren't giving enough gas to lighten the load your taint is bearing, you're doing it wrong.
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    Where do you think the phrase "on the rivet" comes from? If you are riding the nose of a Brooks and you aren't giving enough gas to lighten the load your taint is bearing, you're doing it wrong.
    I climb hills just like an old VW bus - slowly, in low gear and requiring frequent stops to cool off.

On the Rivet is new to my ears. I looked it up and here's what Urban Dictionary said:

on the rivet
    Extreme physical exertion to the point of almost giving up. Derived from bike racing in the olden days when bike seats had rivets, and in an effort not to get dropped one would slide forward on the saddle to exert maximum pressure on the pedals so as to hang on the the amphetamine-loaded Belgian in front of you.
    Person 1: So how'd you do?
    Person 2: Dude, I was on the rivet for like an hour until I finally blew.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Another lover for the C17. Only been on a couple rides, but it is quite the nice saddle. I've removed the B17 in favor of the C17 on my Blizzard, but the pro will go back on my MUSS. It's nice to have longer rails, but the clamp on my RF post doesn't allow me to take full advantage. Guess I'll finally have to get the Thomson and stop comin up with excuses. I must admit that it's strange to ride an Italian rubber Brooks, but so far it's been a pleasant surprise.
    Got any pics?? I'm waiting for the C15 to come out later this year...

mtbr member
    There are a few threads that already have pics, of both the slate and natural versions. I found a demo version with red script online and nabbed it since I try not to pay full price for anything. The saddle is different than the leather brooks, does not break in with sit bone marks that would indicate wear, and there is no maintenance so I figured I'd save a couple bucks. I do like the red script too though. Anyway, here is a pic I posted earlier in a different thread.
    Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-img_20140504_133540.jpg
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member

Thank you!!!
    I'm really thinking about getting one of these...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    How does the C models of Brooks compare to the B models of Brooks. One model is made of fabric, and another of leather, right? Also, anyone tried Chromag saddles? Are they comfortable?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    "Brooks Cambium is a range of saddles made from vulcanized natural rubber and organic cotton canvas enhanced by a thin layer of structural textile for added resilience and legendary Brooks longevity. The uniquely flexible, maintenance-free, waterproof top is designed to follow the riderís movements to deliver immediate comfort and ease of use."

Description from Brooks. My experience with the C is the rubber material is soft right out of the box and does not stretch and require tightening of the seat frame. In fact there is no adjustment in the frame. The B model leather is stiff out of the box but softens and com forms with use. The C I am comfortable getting it wet and muddy, the B you would not want to get it wet and muddy. The B is very comfy after several hours seat time and using a conditioner. The C I have about 1,200 miles installed on the mountain bike and I do not think it has changed at all from when new.

I like the B for road bike and C for mountain bike

mtbr member
    Brooks now partnered with Levi's is offering the cambium with jean as the cotton textile top. Does the saddle wear like an old pair of jeans? You be the judge.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey man what kind of KHS is this? I'm pretty sure someone sold me this frame with specialized stumpjumper decals on it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3