Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I can't believe most everyone still has the little tabs on the back still intact. I ripped my shorts on those riding my TOURING bike down steep stuff. Absolutely MUST cut those off and spread some sort of putty over the sharp remains. I am assuming everyone who runs an unmodified Brooks off-road lives in flat areas.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I run a Team Pro on my bike. Use the cover for the saddle if you are worried about it getting scuffed up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Swift Ti

Yep I run a Swift Ti, on my SIR 9 ss, had it on there for just over a year, finished my first solo 12 hours on it over the weekend, and am stoked, never had a more comfortable saddle
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Brooks with a thudbuster?

Just discovered the joy of riding with a B17 on my road bike. I have a long travel thudbuster that I use on the mtb when doing multi day trips and wondering any issues with putting the Brooks on the thudbuster? ie trouble with keeping butt in the sweet spot on the saddle etc.

mtbr member
    B17s x3, on old mtb (now home) x2 on my tandem. Very comfy on long hauls. Pity on the weight

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    Brooks Ti Swallow. Great comfort and light weight "for a Brooks ".
    Looks nice, I was looking at a Brooks Swift for my Fargo, but might have to look into the Swallow as well

thanks

mtbr member
    Here is something I posted on the Brooks thread at the bikepacking forum.

"I also like them on the hardish side. My old B17 is somewhat too soft (most confortable saddle ever still). I just ordered a B17 Narrow for my Pugs and lets see how it is.

I really like the Select line idea, looks exactly what I would like. But they only make the standard B17 with the Select leather, and that one is too wide for techy mtb. The alternative is the Swallow Select, but that's crazy expensive.

The Team Pro Classic is said to have thicker leather and it's cheap. But it's 160mm wide, not much less than the B17's 170mm. I doubt that would make a difference in active mtb riding.

By the way, I weight 200 pounds unequiped, which might explain my desire for thick leather saddles"

I would like to see what Brooks guys have to say about this over here

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not to be too crude, but if your butt fits, ride it. Unless you have enormous thighs, you will be able to get off the back of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Not to be too crude, but if your butt fits, ride it. Unless you have enormous thighs, you will be able to get off the back of the saddle.
    Perhaps you are riding less technical terrain, because riding with a B17 around here would be a huge impediment.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Belive me, one thing is being ABLE to get behing the saddle. Another is to do that fast and easly when a 2' drop sudently appears on the high speed singletrack

mtbr member
    I've had a whole bunch of them. Experimenting with different models. Currently I've got a Colt on my other ht and am getting a new B-17, also have a Flyer Special for a spare.
    And a ti-rail Swift on my roadbike. I've read too much about bending the ti-rails so knowing the terrain I like to ride I won't even try it on a ht.

Only a B-17 Narrow was a clear mistake for mtb as I sat on the "horse shoe" and two of the studs, that was painful on a rough terrain with a hardtail.

I previously also had a B-17 that I sold after using it quite a lot. Yes, it's wide but that didn't bother me. And there's a new one coming my way.

My first Brooks was a Team Pro and I rode it a lot. Only sold it this year to try a Colt instead. Not sure what I think about that swap yet. Team Pro was perfect and saw a lot of action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rinseflow View Post
    Only a B-17 Narrow was a clear mistake for mtb as I sat on the "horse shoe" and two of the studs, that was painful on a rough terrain with a hardtail.
    This makes me a little nervous about my last purchase

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    This makes me a little nervous about my last purchase
    It might work for you.

I'm not a big guy by any means, quite the opposite, but seem to need a wider saddle than most people.

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    I have 3 Brooks, two Champions and a B17 Special...But, I don't bother with a Brooks on my Ellsworth Moment

That old '37 cruiser has seen about as many rough roads as my DEAN has seen trails, lol.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...

Just Joshin' ya!
    I love my B-17 on my rigid Karate Monkey. I have not had any issues with the width on more technical Terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-376664_10151136922962552_1740765614_n.jpg  

Anyone use a Brooks saddle on their mountain bike?-390070_10151221013102552_261958367_n.jpg  

What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Got my new B-17 today, installed it and took it for a quick test ride. Quick being the keyword here.

-8F outside and the B-17 didn't let my rear freeze. Surprisingly soft as new, I'd forgotten how these are. The Colt is definitely a tougher saddle to break in.

Sun was setting already and the saddle just looked black. It isn't. It is a blue one. Hope that shows better in daylight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    I have not had any issues with the width on more technical Terrain.
    It depends a lot on what do you define as technical terrain

As you might see, I'm on a B17 standard in those pics. I'm finding it easier to get behind it on the Pugsley, because of the wide 100mm BB.

Today I received the B17 Narrow. Confirmed that it was way too narrow, I was sitting on the metal frame. Sold it right away. A good thing is that the leather on that one was incredibly thick, something like 5.5mm. My old B17 is around 4mm, and I read reports that the Select B17 is not much over 4.5mm

mtbr member
    One additional good thing about Brooks saddles is they're easy to sell. That's why I've been so comfortable in trying out many models in just a couple of years. Try doing that with the more expensive plastic ones without heavy losses.

mtbr member
    Kelly and Fisher were selling Mtb's with them that way back in 81:

Staying with the theme, this one:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeger_P View Post
    Just discovered the joy of riding with a B17 on my road bike. I have a long travel thudbuster that I use on the mtb when doing multi day trips and wondering any issues with putting the Brooks on the thudbuster? ie trouble with keeping butt in the sweet spot on the saddle etc.
    I've got a Team Pro on a short travel thud buster and have had no problems. I just set it up so that I'm in the sweet spot when seated under normal conditions (no bumps). I'd use the same approach for the long travel as well. Keeping any seat in the ideal position while using a thudbuster is not possible as the seat will always move down and backwards in line with the post travel - the long travel post exacerbates the issue due to more movement. I suspect that if it was an issue, you would already have recognised it.

Brooks do have suspended (sprung) models. Maybe replacing the thudbuster with a rigid post and mounting a sprung saddle would be an option if seat movement is an issue.

mtbr member
    Any more comments on the Team Pro?
    This one sounds like a good idea to me, thicker leather, sligthly narrower than the B17...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Any more comments on the Team Pro?
    This one sounds like a good idea to me, thicker leather, sligthly narrower than the B17...
    I tried a B17, but found it a little wide, so I changed it out for the Team Pro. Don't be tempted to go too narrow with a Brooks as the top is curved.

It has taken a LOT longer to break in - the leather is thicker than the B17. I have the Titanium model in Honey and the construction is great. It is still not a light saddle, so if you're a weight watcher, skip it, but the Ti model is a lot lighter than the B17 was. I really like the big copper rivets and the colours in the leather as it has aged. In fact it just seems to get better as it gets older.

I believe that Wallingford cycles in the US will let you exchange your brooks if it doesn't fit. I'm in Australia, so had to take a chance - should have picked the Team Pro first. I sold the B17 on Ebay for pretty much the same price as I brought it, so even if you can't get to try before you buy, It's pretty safe to buy the B17 as there seems to always be people looking for them.

Don't forget to get the brooks leather treatment as well - it helps break the saddle in and protect it. I used quite a bit during the break in, but don't use it that much anymore - maybe once every 6 months or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just a word on treatment. Since I live in cowboy country I treat my Brooks saddles, 2 B-17 Imperials, 1 B-17 Narrow, 1 Colt, 1 Flyer, just like cowboys treat their saddles. Brooks Proofide is too expensive. I brush on a thin coat of peanut oil to the underside, once it's dry a thin coat of mink oil. Both avalable at your local grocery store. I only treat my saddles if they have been soaked from rain. Not riding a Brooks saddle because of the fear of getting them wet makes absolutely no sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Handles View Post
    I tried a B17, but found it a little wide, so I changed it out for the Team Pro. Don't be tempted to go too narrow with a Brooks as the top is curved.

It has taken a LOT longer to break in - the leather is thicker than the B17.
    I'm a little afraid of the Team Pro being a little too round, as I happen to like the flatness of my B17. But the thicker leather is a good thing for sure

mtbr member
    Bump for the b17 narrow

Tried a Pro and a swift.... could not pee for a week. Love the imperial.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast