MCF
    mtbr member

Anyone try Samsung's mini sports camcorder?

Samsung's MPEG4 Sports Camcorder offers the ability to capture those thrlling moments. Wether you're snow boarding or skiing you can capture the moment with the remote lens.
    SC-X105L
    MPEG4 Sports Camcorder

nimble biker

Camcorder is not onsale yet

Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Samsung's MPEG4 Sports Camcorder offers the ability to capture those thrlling moments. Wether you're snow boarding or skiing you can capture the moment with the remote lens.
    SC-X105L
    MPEG4 Sports Camcorder

It is not onsale yet. Samsung hasn't release it to the public.

MTBR.com Addict
    any idea when it will be released?
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

nimble biker
    The camcorder is supposed to be on sale this summer. That's is samsung timeline.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I saw it at bestbuy yesterday i live in south fla dunno if we get stuff earlier or what. Looked pretty sweet to me, only thing that sucks is 512 is like 30-40 min of footage, i think tapes get signifcantly more? But the whole thing looked really sturdy and the little helmet cam was sweet. Nice system.

nimble biker

camcorder accepts SD card

Quote Originally Posted by lobos8403
    I saw it at bestbuy yesterday i live in south fla dunno if we get stuff earlier or what. Looked pretty sweet to me, only thing that sucks is 512 is like 30-40 min of footage, i think tapes get signifcantly more? But the whole thing looked really sturdy and the little helmet cam was sweet. Nice system.

It suppose to accept SD card so you can record events as long as you desire.

banned
    This camera just means crappy, shakey, poor quality helmetcam videos.

The fact that it uses a horrible capture format is just icing on a crappy cake.

nimble biker

New question here. what other camcorders will be suitable ???

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    This camera just means crappy, shakey, poor quality helmetcam videos.

The fact that it uses a horrible capture format is just icing on a crappy cake.
    If that camcorder is really bad, What camcorders do MTB riders suggest that will be suitable for outdoor filming?

mtbr dismember

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    This camera just means crappy, shakey, poor quality helmetcam videos. The fact that it uses a horrible capture format is just icing on a crappy cake.
    It ain't going to cut it.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Buddy of mine just bought one yesterday online.

old timer retro grouch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    If that camcorder is really bad, What camcorders do MTB riders suggest that will be suitable for outdoor filming?
    The best cameras are the small Sony's. They will record minDV and have much better color and resolution. BUT if you watch reality TV and see those helmet cam shots, they almost always use the small lipstick type cameras. Those are much lighter, easier to ride with, and you can get a LAN controller to start/stop recording.

Yes miniDV cameras mounted to the head work best. Do people complain about the quality of lipstick cams? Well, they notice it but don't seem to mind. Either way you will have plenty of people who enjoy your videos.

www.viosport.com

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Cannon GL2 in your pack with a good lipstick cam always seemed the best compromise to me.

I've seen some decent (not great) helmet vids with a viosport lipstick but there are better ones out there.

Some people find a good camcorder that's light enough to secure to a helmet to avoid the loss in lens quality inherent in using most lipstick attachments.

Bug pete. He's got a wealth of know-how and has some really good vids he's made over the years.

locked - time out
    Does anyone have a price on one? I'd just kind of accepted that the quality would be less-than-desirable, but probably still worth a look for those of us who would just use it for the occasional ride and don't want to throw down substantial money for a "Pete quality" setup.

mtbr member
    how much does this thing cost? I'd love to be able to record some great rides without paying $1000

locked - time out
    Nevermind - the pricing came out since the last time I looked - $650

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Cannon GL2 in your pack with a good lipstick cam always seemed the best compromise to me.

I've seen some decent (not great) helmet vids with a viosport lipstick but there are better ones out there.

Some people find a good camcorder that's light enough to secure to a helmet to avoid the loss in lens quality inherent in using most lipstick attachments.

Bug pete. He's got a wealth of know-how and has some really good vids he's made over the years.
    A GL2? Why ride around with a $2000 camera that is nothing more than a glorified recording deck when used with a lipstick cam? Any $500 miniDV with A/V would be just as good. The image quality of the GL2 comes from teh CCD, not the record heads.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    A GL2? Why ride around with a $2000 camera that is nothing more than a glorified recording deck when used with a lipstick cam? Any $500 miniDV with A/V would be just as good. The image quality of the GL2 comes from teh CCD, not the record heads.
    Very true.

But when you're done with the helmet cam, you still have a gl2 to play with.

That's just my thinking on the matter since to me, the handheld filming would be the priority. Helmet filming would be secondary. But you're right, a dedicated lesser beast would be cheaper. I only want to buy one camera so what I suggested would be my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Very true.

But when you're done with the helmet cam, you still have a gl2 to play with.

That's just my thinking on the matter since to me, the handheld filming would be the priority. Helmet filming would be secondary. But you're right, a dedicated lesser beast would be cheaper. I only want to buy one camera so what I suggested would be my approach.
    That makes sense. I'd go with a Panasonic 3CCD camera though. Cheaper and smaller. They don't have LANC though (remote control). These have very good image quality (much better than single CCD cameras, not quite as good as GL2, but probably not discernable unless viewed side by side). They don't have the audio features of the GL2 or the same quality zoom. But for riding and shooting this would be my choice. (I have a GL1 and the Panasonic)

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    That makes sense. I'd go with a Panasonic 3CCD camera though. Cheaper and smaller. They don't have LANC though (remote control). These have very good image quality (much better than single CCD cameras, not quite as good as GL2, but probably not discernable unless viewed side by side). They don't have the audio features of the GL2 or the same quality zoom. But for riding and shooting this would be my choice. (I have a GL1 and the Panasonic)
    I keep hearing about that thing. I've got money set aside and a friend whose getting rid of his GL2. Maybe I need to give that one a serious lookie before I commit.