Skinny legged XC geek

Anyone try the GravityDropper seat post yet?

I saw one in action recently and thought it was pretty cool. It adds a little over 1/2 a pound and costs plenty of cheese, unfortunately, but is a very trick setup. Endorsed by Mark Weir!

http://www.gravitydropper.com

Yummy
    I'm sure it'll do just as well as this much less complicated way of doing the same thing.

http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products...ts/ahiter.html

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Skinny legged XC geek

Not at all the same

The cool thing about the GravityDropper is that you never have to take your hands of the bars. It works like a bar mounted fork lockout or a thumbshifter, so you can adjust the seat height while transitioning from descent to climb and back again.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    I'm not sold at all. With all the crap and monkey motion going on with the bikes, adding that thing will just give you one more thing to clean, worry about and service. I think it's a waste of time since I can just stop and drop or raise my seat. It may not be fast like the gravity dropper but it's less I have to worry about breaking or leaking.

mtbr member
    $250.00 for another piece of junk to put on your bling bling bike; humm, sounds interesting!

If Mr. Weir endorses it, why isn't on his bike? Take a look at the recent Photo-John pics of Mark Weir on his white Blur and try to find it, I couldn't.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 04-07-2004 at 04:26 PM.

Skinny legged XC geek

From the devil's mouth

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    If Mr. Weir endorses it, why isn't on his bike? Take a look at the recent Photo-John pics of Mark Weir on his white Blur and try to find it, I couldn't.
    -I have been riding the post for 2 months now and I can safely say that it is the best upgrade I have done to my trail bike in 2 years. The 3" adjustment is perfect for steep climbing and descending. This post is the new Downieville secret weapon or as I call it the Lopes crusher. This is no informercial, it's the real deal. It really works.. Mark Weir , Pro (USA)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Looks like a good idea to me.

I could not get the the web site to work for me, so I could get few details, such as pricing. Someone mentioned $250.

I have been thinking about the benifits of such a system since I started mountain biking 6 years ago. I'd love something like that, and I wouldn't even mind the extra wieght. It would be great for trail riding, especially where I try jumps.

But $250? Are you kidding me?

Kapusta

Full of holes

I can think of far better ways of parting with $250.

And if they want to charge that much, they should have spent a little more on their website to achieve a minimal level of professionalism.

If you have to ask...

The Hite Rite was a better product.

Much cheaper, much lighter, and if you got the IRD remote lever, you never had to take your hands off the bars for that setup, either.

Anybody here remember the Power Post? The thing would flop forwards, backwards, up and down. It weighed about seven pounds, and cost hundreds of dollars. Some people loved them.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Much cheaper, much lighter, and if you got the IRD remote lever, you never had to take your hands off the bars for that setup, either.

Anybody here remember the Power Post? The thing would flop forwards, backwards, up and down. It weighed about seven pounds, and cost hundreds of dollars. Some people loved them.

miles
    One of my riding buddies had a power post and the built in cable stop failed on it. It was cool while it lasted but the only reason to change your seat so fast is if you are racing and it was too heavy for the weight weenie racers

There used to be a section of the sea otter XC race course called the "Power Post Extreme Downhill". Man that was a great place to spectate. It was really steep with two railroad tie drops right in the middle and a sharp right hand turn at the bottom. I lost track of the number or wrecks we saw there in the 2 or 3 years they were routing the course that way. The courses over there are much more mellow now. The biggest drops on the DH course last year looked like the old power post section of the XC.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    I saw one in action recently and thought it was pretty cool. It adds a little over 1/2 a pound and costs plenty of cheese, unfortunately, but is a very trick setup. Endorsed by Mark Weir!

http://www.gravitydropper.com
    I checked the web site and it says they have a whopping 30 day warranty. They obviously do not think too much of their product if the warranty is that short.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    ...the Lopes crusher. .... (USA)
    But what if Lopes puts one on too?

therefore, the perfect example of "Hype" Q.E.D.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Gravity Dropper rocks!!!

Hey,
    Purchased one about a two months ago and will not part with it. It's the best upgrade that I have bought for my bike (Giant VT1). It's basically like having another gear! Basically works off a handle bar mounted switch (I actually put mine on the left side). Hit the switch, put a little weight on the seat and it does what you want (raises or lowers). It works equally great for climbing or descending large mountains (WA area) and ups and downs of New Hampshire. Makes my bike a great climber!

Totally customizeable - When I first road the "dropper" I felt the 3" was a little to much drop for me. I returned it and they tweaked it so it only dropped 2.5" (ahh, just right). They can make one to do anything, a 4 inch drop, and was told about a guy who only had a 1 inch drop. Plus they can make one with 3 positions -high, medium and low(instead of the normal two). They really work with you. You can tell they really want their product to do well.

It does take a little cleaning if you get in heavy mud (a probably after some months of continuous use). Now they come with a rubber protective boot which should alleviate help in heavy mud. Don't worry about the 30 day warranty. If you have a problem just send it back and they will make it right (sent it back for the drop adjustment).

Bike maintenance on a stand. Is a little tricky because of the cable housing that attaches to the post. May have to adjust the post height to allow for the workstand clamp to grab on to the post between the cable housing and the frame. No biggie.

Loved it so much I bought a second one for my other bike (cut the price to $200 for the second one).

workin' it Administrator

caution: retro reminising

The hite rite rocked. There was actually at the time a thumbshifter operable qr for your seatpost. You push the lever, the qr loosens, push down and repush the qr and the seatpost retightens, voila lowered seat. If you set the top out height at a little above your standard off road height you could honch on the road or flats, then set it to off road height for trails then drop it for tech downhill sections. Only cost like $30 in 1990 dollars, which would be about $20 now. I still have a height rite race but I don't have the seatpost clamp anymore I would use it in a heart beat on the ol' bullit if I could find the seatpost clamp and a seat qr that worked with it.

Ahh, the good ol' days.
    Try this: HTFU

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I almost spend $1 to put on an alloy QR for my seatpost. It was free because I had it in my tool box though.

It's really light.

I actually have 2 or 3 others in my tool box that I could charge you $250 for...I might even give you a special arizona 5% off deal.
    Last edited by Jm.; 06-26-2004 at 01:56 PM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Hey,
    Purchased one about a two months ago and will not part with it. It's the best upgrade that I have bought for my bike (Giant VT1). It's basically like having another gear! Basically works off a handle bar mounted switch (I actually put mine on the left side). Hit the switch, put a little weight on the seat and it does what you want (raises or lowers). It works equally great for climbing or descending large mountains (WA area) and ups and downs of New Hampshire. Makes my bike a great climber!

Totally customizeable - When I first road the "dropper" I felt the 3" was a little to much drop for me. I returned it and they tweaked it so it only dropped 2.5" (ahh, just right). They can make one to do anything, a 4 inch drop, and was told about a guy who only had a 1 inch drop. Plus they can make one with 3 positions -high, medium and low(instead of the normal two). They really work with you. You can tell they really want their product to do well.

It does take a little cleaning if you get in heavy mud (a probably after some months of continuous use). Now they come with a rubber protective boot which should alleviate help in heavy mud. Don't worry about the 30 day warranty. If you have a problem just send it back and they will make it right (sent it back for the drop adjustment).

Bike maintenance on a stand. Is a little tricky because of the cable housing that attaches to the post. May have to adjust the post height to allow for the workstand clamp to grab on to the post between the cable housing and the frame. No biggie.

Loved it so much I bought a second one for my other bike (cut the price to $200 for the second one).
    Glad you are happy with it. I was on a ride yesterday that had me thinking about the GD. It was some XC riding with some steep technical climbs, then 30 feet later I'd be hitting a series of drops and jumps. I was often messing with the seat hieght. Sometimes I just leave it and deal. Anyway, I'd use something like the GD, and I would be fine with the weight but it needs to drop at least $100 before I can even think about it.

I knew some guy who was working on a very similar design, and he was going to ask about $100 for it. I don't think it ever materialized though.

Can you post some pictures?

Kapusta

ballbuster

I have a Hite Rite

... that fit my Giant hardtail. It works great, but it was kinda heavy. I wish I had one on my K2.

The Hite Rite does rely on your seatpost sliding freely in the frame. My K2 the seatpost is a bit snug, so it wouldn't work there unless I sanded the post down a bit.

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    But what if Lopes puts one on too?

therefore, the perfect example of "Hype" Q.E.D.
    He said that because he's friends with Brian and was heckling him.

I saw it on his Supa-Ramma bike, the little thing's bad ass. I'd totally pimp one on a trail rig.