mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Anyone Ridden in Hawaii?

I'm going to Hawaii in January for a family commitment, and of course, I want to get some riding in. I'll be staying in Honolulu, and was wondering if it is worth the trouble to bring my Trek Fuel, or if I should just rent a bike when I get there. Isn't January the rainy season there? Will I even get to ride at all? If so it looks like Laie Falls and Mililani Trail are the best places to ride XC from the forums. Is that accurate?

Thanks for any help.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by byrddog33
    I'm going to Hawaii in January for a family commitment, and of course, I want to get some riding in. I'll be staying in Honolulu, and was wondering if it is worth the trouble to bring my Trek Fuel, or if I should just rent a bike when I get there. Isn't January the rainy season there? Will I even get to ride at all? If so it looks like Laie Falls and Mililani Trail are the best places to ride XC from the forums. Is that accurate?

Thanks for any help.

Been there, outstanding adventure. Check out my post with details including rentals.

Hawaiian Passion -- long
    Last edited by zon; 12-20-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Caboose!
    Mililani is a large network of mostly single track that crosses PRIVATE land. It is not my recommendation to go there without a local who knows their way around, very easy to get lost in there. Laie is a public trail. I like fast downhills, and that is what you get at Laie. It's a long grinding climb to the "trees" at the halfway point of the trail. The trail continues on to a waterfall, but most bikers stop at the "trees" and head down from there. Straight up and straight down, that's Laie. You can ride that one on your own, it's well marked and easy to follow.

Now as to rent or bring your bike. I have traved many times from Hawaii to the mainland and have brought my bike each time. I really beleive that the riding and my enjoyment of the riding were completely enhanced by bringing my own bike. Yes it can be expensive, but the familiarity of the bike helps make you much sharper when riding unfamiliar trails.

There are lots of other trails to ride on Oahu too. Yes January is a "wet" month, but if you ride on the Leeward side (Makakilo, Yokohama) you can avoid the mud bath. We are extra sensative about riding when it's very wet, so please kokua and road ride on super wet days.

Check out DHHawaii.com, RideHawaii.com , hawaiitrails.org for more info.
    Aloooooooooooooha!
    Fat Jeff
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Got a PBS mind in an MTV world-Jimmy Buffett

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

The trails...

..that Zon and I rode are some of the more technical ones; however they are the legal ones. Yes, for a "pure" XC riding experience without lots of hike a bike, Mililani Trails would be best---but they are not legal. I have only been on them 4 times in almost 3 years. Kualoa Ranch is another wonderful place to get uninterrupted miles in the saddle in; but alas, they no longer offer regular riding to mtbikers--only events and if you book a tour through John Alford's mt bike tour company.

So--your best bet would be to hook up with some of the locals that have been here like forever and ride Mililani---thay can probably take you up to the peacock flats area which is fun jeep trail with some singletrack too. Just post on the Hawaii forum and 1 of em will check in w/ you soon I'm sure..

..of course if you're an animal that wants an epic trail adventure and don't mind loads of climbing and lots o hike o bike, then just follow the routes described in Zon's writeup--much fun guaranteed either way.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out this link to a write-up by my wife.
    Riding in Paradise (long w/pics)

If you want to do any serious mountain biking, bring your own bike. It's tough to rent a good mountain bike on Oahu. Raging Isle on the North Shore rents good bikes, but they are expensive and not always in great shape.

We will be there Dec. 31- Jan 8 and will probably rent some road bikes to get in a few miles.

R.

Totally, and to the max.
    Do the Kealia Trail on the North Shore. We rented bikes in Haleiwa and rode up to Peacock Flats, partly up pavement and then to a fireroad. I don't remember exactly where this was, but I do know that the trail ended on the mountainside behind the Dillingham Airfield. The climb up is short but very steep. Then you have a mellow XC jungle ride before you get to the Kealia Trail. From there, it's an insanely technical descent with huge, rocky switchbacks! Probably the most technical trail I've ridden, and this is compared to everything in the Sierras. I can't remember the shop we rented from, but I do remember that they were Marins and the guy was totally cool.

Man, I love Hawaii...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

that would be..

..raging isle and you want to talk to bill barnfield.

Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    .... I can't remember the shop we rented from, but I do remember that they were Marins and the guy was totally cool. ..

Man, I love Hawaii...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is all great info, and exactly what I need to know, especially the restaurant reviews! Thanks everyone. It looks like I'm going to have a blast based on the pictures Zon and Mtbmini's wife posted. Wow. I'm bringing my camera for sure. I hope it (and myself for that matter) make it out alive. From the looks of the roots and rock gardens, there are no guarantees. Ouch! Man, I can't wait to get out there.

Good advice Fat Jeff on bringing my own bike. I was leaning that way, but I'm not sure about what my ground transportation is going to be like once I get to the Island. I guess I'll try to rent an SUV, and throw my bike inside it.

Thanks again everyone.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Good job! ...

...hope u have tons of fun. Riding and eating! There are actually lots of things to see and do as well--I'd recommend a hike up diamonhead and a trip on the Atlantis Sub. Go see the Valley of Temples and Punchbowl cemetary areas. Hike or mountain bike out to Kaena Point etc etc. You will be wishing you had lots more time.

This is all great info, and exactly what I need to know, especially the restaurant reviews! Thanks everyone. It looks like I'm going to have a blast based on the pictures Zon and Mtbmini's wife posted. Wow. I'm bringing my camera for sure. I hope it (and myself for that matter) make it out alive. From the looks of the roots and rock gardens, there are no guarantees. Ouch! Man, I can't wait to get out there.

Good advice Fat Jeff on bringing my own bike. I was leaning that way, but I'm not sure about what my ground transportation is going to be like once I get to the Island. I guess I'll try to rent an SUV, and throw my bike inside it.

Thanks again everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    ...hope u have tons of fun. Riding and eating! There are actually lots of things to see and do as well--I'd recommend a hike up diamonhead and a trip on the Atlantis Sub. Go see the Valley of Temples and Punchbowl cemetary areas. Hike or mountain bike out to Kaena Point etc etc. You will be wishing you had lots more time.
    We are going to be staying with family, and I know they have a ton of non-mountain biking activity planed, including a huge party for my 1yr old step-niece. Apparently first birthdays are a really big deal over there. It's my first time over there, so I want to soak-up as much of the culture and as much fun as possible in a week. I just wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't get on the trails while I'm there.

I noticed in one of your threads that you said you like to ride in Texas. Are you a transplant? I'm from Houston, so I've ridden several trails around the state.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

yeah..

3 yr military tour in HI of which 13 months were in Iraq.
    Tx trails ridden--palo duro, san angelo, blora, mcallister park, walnut creek park, muleshoe, barton creek, rockyhill, bluff creek, flat creek, flat rock, bar h, kelley creek, warda, double lake, dana peak, lake bryan, huntsville, dfw area trails-------might have left a few out------I like em all! Hope to get back-or another sw area such as AZ, OK, NM etc.

We are going to be staying with family, and I know they have a ton of non-mountain biking activity planed, including a huge party for my 1yr old step-niece. Apparently first birthdays are a really big deal over there. It's my first time over there, so I want to soak-up as much of the culture and as much fun as possible in a week. I just wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't get on the trails while I'm there.

I noticed in one of your threads that you said you like to ride in Texas. Are you a transplant? I'm from Houston, so I've ridden several trails around the state.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks again everyone.
    No need to rent a SUV. No place to go off-road to access trailheads. Just rent a van. You can carry more stuff. Gas prices here are very high. Van will get better gas mileage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow, from Iraq to Hawaii, that sounds like quite the departure. I've never been there, but a buddy of mine is in the Marines, and is on his second tour of Iraq, and it's not on my list of places to go anytime soon.

I'm glad you made it back to the US safely.