Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hail to the King, baby

Anyone hit a deer while riding?

Well, I was out riding in the woods, with a buddy the other day, and afterwards, I was heading home on a dirt road. I was about fifty yards ahead of my buddy, when I heard him yell, "Watch out!!!".

Suddenly, three deer came charging out onto the road at me, from the left side. They seemed to be in a hurry. Unfortunately, I was right in the path of the first one. He suddenly booted it and bounded across my path just a couple feet in front of my bike. If he had not accelerated, I would have hit him. The next one was a couple strides back, saw me, and accelerated to cross about fifteen feet ahead. The last one leaped across the road just behind my bike.

It was rather crazy for a few seconds as deer seemed suddenly to be leaping all around me, and my head was swivelling all around trying to see what was going on.

A couple days later, I was riding with my son, deep in the woods. I was booting it on some singletrack and just rolled right by a small group of deer, standing about eight feet from the side of the trail, in the trees. When I got past about twenty yards, I stopped and called back to my son, "Do you see the deer?" He was just passing them, concentrating on the trail, and did not even notice them in the trees. The deer did not even flinch when we passed. They did not move an inch. He stopped next to me and we looked at them from about twenty yards, and they still did not move. We rode on and left them standing in the same spot.

I see deer all the time when riding.

I have even had one running ahead of me on the trail. In that case, I stopped so as not to make the deer think I was chasing it. When I stopped, it stopped and looked back at me as if he was playing with me and was waiting for me to catch up. When I started up again, he started again, and I then I took a different fork in the trail.

I am guessing that bicycle deer collisions are very rare, since bicycles do not typically go as fast as motor vehicles, so deer have more reaction time. Still, with the deer getting pretty tame around here, and the deer population going up, the possibility of a bicycle-deer collision seems to be increasing. (no hunting allowed, and people have deer feeders)

Has anyone ever acutally had a collision with a deer when riding a bicycle?

old_dude
    Parties are a cancer on democracy.

Parties are like *****. Any gets in, you're f'cked.

A party vote IS a wasted vote.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Nope, but I've had a very close call

I was riding on a popular downhill a few years ago just before sunset and saw a fast moving beige object in my periferal vision through some scrub oak. My first reaction was MOUNTAIN LION!!! because it looked like it was on an intercept path but I was just as scared with my second reaction when a deer ran out of the bush and crossed the trail less than 10 feet in front of me. I would guess I was going about 20mph at the time on very loose pea gravel so there is no way I could have stopped in time had he been going any slower or came any closer. Further down the trail, I saw another 6-8 deer. It's not uncommon to see deer around here, but I was surprised to see so many on the most popular downhill in town.

mtbr member

yeah

Not me but back in high school in PA I had a friend who raced road bikes. He was out on a training ride and going downhill at about 30-35 mph when a deer jumped in front of him. He had really bad road rash and if I remember correctly he also sprained a wrist or had some other arm injury.

I'll never forget him saying "I was never too into hunting but I think I may get a deer license this season".

MTBR.com Addict
    Riding around Lake Chabot about two weeks ago I nearly ran over a doe. I came around a corner with my lights blazing (helmet and bar). I saw the mother and the doe and they saw me. I rang my bell and they scooted across the trail to climb up the embankment. I turned my head to keep an eye on them, which also turned my helmet light. Suddenly the doe turns around and gets just to the left of my front wheel. I started grabbing fistfuls of disc brakes. The entire bike was wobbling pretty good. I'm tryin like heck to keep the bike straight and let the doe go where it wants. All turned out good for both, thankfully.

But later on the way home, it looks like Nature was bent on having something die that night as I hit possum. The poor creature at least went squarely under my tire so it didn't suffer any.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    No, but almost. I was riding along and came right up on one bed down next to the trail. It sprang up when I was about 5' away and ran the opposite direction. If it would have turned the other way we would have collided hard. Scared the crapola out of me.

Glad to Be Alive
    Early morning on a foggy trail I was doing this stunt for the first time. Very sketchey section where you jump from one rock to the other and down a real step section. I have watched many people bail and get hurt on this section. I have even fallen on the steep section without doing the stunt. Anyway I get the courage and hit the stunt at speed. I have a rough landing and start the steep part when a deer comes out of the bushes. He sees me and tries to turn but his body hits me and sends me flying. My buddy is just laughing. I think to myself...damm I try it for the first time and nail it and still go down. Great story though
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

aka baycat
    Good stories, has anyone ever come close to hitting any other critters out on the trails?

Wild Turkeys seem to thrive out in some parts of Northern California, and will just seemingly sit on the trail and are in no rush to get out of your way.....Always hit a nice fat turkey a few days before Thanksgiving

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I almost hit a bull moose last year at Snowbasin. He was across the trail with his head in a bush. I came around the corner and scared him so bad that he yanked his head out of the bush with such force that he fell on his butt right on the trail. There I was five feet from a bull moose and I was scared and cracking up at the same time. I didn't know if he would get up and try to trash me or not. Fortunately he got up and ran away.

mtbr member
    Saw a deer on a forest preserve trail once. It stood right in the middle of my path an just kinda looked around. I slowed down, and I could tell he saw me approaching. He looked at me. I looked him. He looked at me and lowered his fully-antlered head in my direction. I looked at him. He didn't move, and I saw a doe and a baby eating grass closesly to him on the trail. Fugured if we were to collide, he'd probably win. I left on a side trail. I think he smirked at me. Next time I bring a shotgun. Bastard.
    ---
    If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever.
    Is that good news?

banned
    Mar 2005
    sort of...ran into a group (herd?) of deer on a forest trail last year, had to turn off, went into the trees but caught a spoke in tree limb and flipped face first into some mud. Missed the deer but 2 of them had to jump over me as they ran off. Hoof missed my nose by an inch.

hit a squirrel once...

bubbletea Latte'

Geese

Just this last weekend, I was riding along the river bottoms in Mnpls and came around a corner to meet two geese and their chicks. Right in the middle of the trail, about 5 feet away from me. I just waited for them to waddle off of the trail while the parents hissed at me. Earlier on the same ride I had stopped short of hitting a deer that was just standing on the trail by about 4 ft. I came to a complete stop, the deer looked over its shoulder, stared at me for a moment then slowly walked away. Gotta love disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Anyone ever hit one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Almost

Quote Originally Posted by old_dude
    Has anyone ever acutally had a collision with a deer when riding a bicycle?

old_dude
    Yeah i was side by side with a big doe, and had she turned left she would've crossed my path. it was wild and i was coming around this corner fast and it boom DEER she started up running and gruntin' , and maybe two and a half maybe three feet to the right of the trail. thank goodness she split to the right into the woods! could've been ugly!

Ran over an armidillo once...yeah that was fun!

It's the axle
    Almost nailed a bear cub last year. The thing ran right under my front tire. My biggest fear is a mad mom. So in no more than a tenth of a second I rode faster than I have ever ridden in my life, because I was at the bottom of the next climb. I never did see the mother. But riding through that area always spooked me from then on.

Last week I came out of a clearing and blasted four big male turkeys into space.

Ride Instigator

Almost...

I see them constantly where I ride...

I was riding along a tree line at dusk one time and there were 4 or 5 of them in the open area. When I came along I startled them and they darted for the tree line...right AT ME! One missed me by about 4 feet, I felt the breeze when he ran by!

I usually yell when I see them around and they tend to run away from your voice. "HEY DEER, GIT OUT DA WAY I'M COMIN' TROO!"

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I've come cose to several deer - but no hits.

But what is it with the "Suicide" Squirrels - for some unknown reason they'll wait & scoot right in front of your tire. It's kinda sad to see a little twitching squirrel. Am I the only one whose noticed this?
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

eci
    anyone ever hit a dog on the trail?

life is a barrel o'fun
    A large, beautiful deer once bounded across the straightaway just when I was shifting into the big ring. It wasn't in danger of being hit since it was at the beginning of that section, but it was only a few yards away and simply magnificent. Plenty of deer around, probably will happen one of these days!

Suicide squirrels......I was headed for the IMBA meeting a couple of weeks ago, driving on a stretch of road leading into the park, when a squirrel shot across and under my wheels before I could hit the brakes. I heard the thump, then later saw it lying on its back to the side. No blood or guts, thankfully at least it was a quick death!

On the trail, it's the chipmunks who love to play chicken, those little bastards.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Came very close last fall. I was doing about 30mph down my driveway and a buck shot in from of me. It was streched out like a greyhound racing. It was as if life slowed down and I saw all details. I was about a foot away from its hindquarters. Even since then I ride a little slower down that hill.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i see deer quite often around here, and i've spooked quite a few in my day. Never have come close to hitting one, i think i'd rather hit a deer than an elk, bear, or cougar though. Which leads me to wondering why in the hell can't you hunt deer in your neck of the woods, which i'm assuming is the East Coast where there are no natural predators around to eat the overpopulation?
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Good stories, has anyone ever come close to hitting any other critters out on the trails?

Wild Turkeys seem to thrive out in some parts of Northern California, and will just seemingly sit on the trail and are in no rush to get out of your way.....Always hit a nice fat turkey a few days before Thanksgiving
    I ran over a lizard this evening... actually, I'm a little bummed about it. Mainly because I was in the process of slowing down because a hiker was coming up the singletrack. When I noticed the lizard, it was too late to stop and I wasn't going fast enough to bunny hop it.

Other critters crossing the trail tonight: a loud, squawking wild turkey and a gray fox. Didn't run them over, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I saw a fox and 4 fox cubs (is that what a baby fox is called?) near the end of a ride the other day. I was pretty amazed, never seen much other than deer and people's dogs back there. Its just a thin sliver of forest between a small river and a bunch of developments. Most of the trail is a sewer access road or something. There's a bunch of those big concrete things with manhole covers on them along the trail.

super absorbent
    I had a coyote dart out a few yards in front of me just last week. I wasn't ever afraid that I would hit it, but it was a cool encounter nonetheless. On the same ride, I saw a huge hawk light down in the scrub just off the trail to my right and grab some unfortunately little critter for dinner.
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

banned
    Mar 2005
    thats how i got mine...it was just sitting at the side of the trail and jumped into my front spokes as i passed...hate the sound they make as they go through the fork

last year we had porcupines, racoons, turkeys, a fisher, even a coyote on the trails up here... a real Wild Kingdom

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

Only ever hit my bro's dog but...

I've never had the misfortune of hitting any wild critters besides my bro's dog (he was fine, it was in a parkin lot) but I've had lotsa weird animal experiences. I ride in a conservation area in central Vermont and I've seen 3 or 4 coyotes cross the trail in front of me. The 4th i wasn't sure about, cuz it was getting dark. It coulda been a big fox or cat of some kind. I've ridden right up on a bull moose once who was slurping in a swamp next to the trail. I actually heard it first! LOL but then I saw him look at me from about 20ft away, and when he didn't run, I figured he was gonna press the issue, so I turned 180 and went back and took the other fork. My bike is tough, but no need to tangle with 800lbs of angry animal.

Best of all...I've had the extreme pleasure of following a Red Tailed hawk for almost a mile down the singletrack behind my house. It just flew down in front of me from above, and would fly for about 100ft and then land on a branch. I stopped to let it get away, but it seemed like it was waiting for me, so I started riding real slow. It would fly up ahead to where the trail bent to one side or the other and then light on another branch, almost like it was waiting for me. We kept up the leap-frog game for almost a mile. Then when we came to a river crossing, it headed upstream and sat on a branch and watched me as I rode up and stopped to stare. It then flew right at me (I almost freaked and fell off the bridge) and passed about 15ft over my head and was gone into a pine thicket. I had to just sit there for a few minutes and convince myself that what just happened was real! Definitely the coolest ride I'd had in a while. Too bad I was alone, and my camera was at home.

Oh, and once I think I was being stalked by a Predator, like the kind that hunts Schwarzeneggers; but I was goin dern fast that day :P
    [SIZE=4]SEEK THE GNARL, LEST IT FIND YOU FIRST.[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast