BGR / MCM #311

Anyone have info on Sun Ringle??

I purchased a pair of Ringle ABBAH hubs...what a mistake!!! I have replaced the engagement pawls twice on the rear hub since I purchased it a little over a year and a half ago. Today, while I'm riding, the rear hub once again cuts loose and won't engage, although I can hear the pawls purring while freewheeling the 3 miles back to my car. When I get home, I disconnect the cassette body and find that the ring gear that the pawls ride in, and engage with, has broken free from the hub shell and is just spinning inside. I bought this wheelset (ABBAH hubs with singletrack rims) because they seemed stout and were 1/4 the cost of my King/Mavic wheelset on my hardtail. Well, I guess you still get what you pay for!! I am hoping I can still contact Sun Ringle and get some kind of satisfaction, but at the moment www.sunringle.com takes you to some domain agent (pool). Anyone know contact info for sun ringle?? An 800 number, new web address, etc??? Any info would be appreciated.

terry
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member

I think the website is....

Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    I purchased a pair of Ringle ABBAH hubs...what a mistake!!! I have replaced the engagement pawls twice on the rear hub since I purchased it a little over a year and a half ago. Today, while I'm riding, the rear hub once again cuts loose and won't engage, although I can hear the pawls purring while freewheeling the 3 miles back to my car. When I get home, I disconnect the cassette body and find that the ring gear that the pawls ride in, and engage with, has broken free from the hub shell and is just spinning inside. I bought this wheelset (ABBAH hubs with singletrack rims) because they seemed stout and were 1/4 the cost of my King/Mavic wheelset on my hardtail. Well, I guess you still get what you pay for!! I am hoping I can still contact Sun Ringle and get some kind of satisfaction, but at the moment www.sunringle.com takes you to some domain agent (pool). Anyone know contact info for sun ringle?? An 800 number, new web address, etc??? Any info would be appreciated.

terry

I think the website is www.sunrims.com

Hope that helps!

TJ

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Check with Nick.

I think he has had dealt with them on a similar issue.

"Mr. Britannica"

or

sun-ringle.com

VRC Illuminati

terry
    As mentioned, put a dash ( - ) in between 'sun' and 'ringle' and their website will come up.
    In the past, I've received very good customer service from them...
    Just my $.02
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Yay! Bikes !

oh, I've got info alright ...

(- Craig, good memory!)

I've had the same problem with my rear Ringle hub more times than I care to recall.
    Check my review of their hubs here on mtbr.com.

Good news:
    - all said and done I've received very good warranty service from Sun/Ringle each and every time. Ask the warranty guy (Kevin Smith?) to send you enough pawls and springs to rebuild the hub a few times and keep them in yoru toolbox.
    - fixing this problem is pretty simple.

Bad news:
    - fix the hub, but expect it to fail in the exact same fashion again.

I've done the pawl rebuild MANY times and I've even done an axle replacement after breaking my rear axle in two. I've never broken an axle before. Mine failed within the rear hub body. (who would have thought that going from a 6" F/S bike to a hardtail would put so much stress on my rear wheel?)

I have enough replacement parts to rebuild my rear hub about 7 or 8 more times.

I bought the set for two reasons; (1) it is marketed as a very durable hubset with engagement second only to King (and now Hadley) and (2) to save $$$ over a set of King hubs. When it came time to build a new set of wheels a few months ago I did what I should have done in the first place, I bought a set of King ISOs.
    Nick.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    An elephant never forgets....

Or something like that.

BGR / MCM #311

Thanks Nick, Craig, et al....

I got ahold of Mr. Smith (Tony, BTW) at Ringle, after putting said "-" between sun and ringle!

He is shipping me a new hub. He states that the NEW and IMPROVED abbah will not fail on me as the older one has. As far as this is concerned, seeing is believing. But, yes, the customer service seems great!

Again, thanks for the info, it kept me from just chucking the old hub and buying an XT as replacement.

terry

Yay! Bikes !
    He states that the NEW and IMPROVED abbah will not fail on me as the older one has.
    Good news.
    Did Tony mention what is new and improved about the new hub?
    Nick.

BGR / MCM #311

It's the new UberHub!!!

Supposedly the "materials" now used are better.

umm...yeah...ok...whatever...

I was born at night...but not last night...

we'll see

thanks again,
    terry