mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Anyone get really frustrated when they can't bike?

Currently I am in graduate school and going to school for physical therapy. I use biking as an outlet to relieve stress from the constant studying of school. About two weeks ago I cracked the frame of my main bike, so I took that to the shop to get another one. A few days later I break the deraileur hanger on my other bike and of course I didn't have a back up one. I just found out from the store that they aren't going to be able to get the hanger in until friday. So I haven't been able to bike for about a week and a half now and it is really getting to me.
    I have noticed that I have gotten more short tempered and have made my girlfriend mad at me. Does anyone else get frustrated when they aren't able to bike? I really think this means I am an addict. And I will never run because I really hate running lol.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Im right with you. I am sick and studying for exams this week. Yakima is warrantying my rack. So, I cant bike for a few reasons.

I get irritable, impatient, and just awful. I sometimes snap at my girlfriend and I have a hard time focusing. It is quite frustrating..

Vermonter to the Core
    Thats the good thing about being married!! your wife will let you know when you need to leave! If it has been a day too long and I need to ride, my wife looks at me and just says "go take the dog for a ride"
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

Kicker of Elves
    Funny you mention it. I was just thinking today how frustrating it is when life gets in the way of my riding! I feel the same pain...

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2
    Thats the good thing about being married!! your wife will let you know when you need to leave! If it has been a day too long and I need to ride, my wife looks at me and just says "go take the dog for a ride"
    JEM
    That's my situation too. Awesome isn't it!?

Hermit
    Yeah.

Try injuring yourself. It's best if you can do it in the late spring, just as the trails are firming up and the weather is getting great. Then sit around in pain whilst everyone else is riding. Feel your hard earned muscles soften as you spend weekend after weekend NOT RIDING. That is frustrating.

BTW did myself in two times in 10 months, with something like 6 months of downtime. Just starting to be able to get back out there - no tech riding for a while because of the "knee of glass". I absolutely do not want to get injured again.

Drove me nuts all summer, not being able to get out and ride. Basically my family and coworkers all told me I was grouchy as hell. No big surprise to me.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Go look at my post. Its up there a little ways. Perfect answer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just spent $2k on my new Stumpjumper on 9/11. On the 12th, I took it out for 10 miles and had the time of my life! Two days later, on the 14th, I practically cut the top 3/4 inches of my finger off, getting 9 stitches, a hole drilled through my fingernail to relieve the pressure, and a fractured bone. It KILLED me not to ride last weekend! Stitches come out tomorrow so I'm hoping to ride this weekend because I really can't stand seeing this brand new bike sitting in my garage every day when I come home from work I know how you feel!

PRETENDURO
    Yes. Very frustrated. I avoid frustration by telling everyone else to go fück off because I am going to go riding no matter what.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Yes, extremely frustrated. My only bike is in the shop so... actually walked my usual ride for first time today, was kind of weird. Noticed things I never have before, like shortcuts hikers have made down switchbacks etc. But yea I'm going crazy already and it's only been a few days. Plus we are burning daylight here, winter is coming and it's going to suck. My internet wife gets here from Australia in a week, and I'm already thinking I should have just gone back there (Spring is starting for them)
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a brand new bike at home...only rode it two times before being deployed to Kuwait for four months. Talk about frustration!

turtles make me hot
    My wife tried to implement a rule that my weekend solo rides had to be completed by 9 am. All that did was make me into a nutjob by 4 pm because I needed another ride.
    I also cracked the frame on my only bike last month just as the weather began to cool off. I had no bike for almost two weeks. Now I'm building two more so that doesn't happen again.
    Aki78... I feel for ya. That sucks. Thanks for the service.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm recovering from surgery at the moment... Pretty much off my bike until at least the weekend, perhaps longer...

Most cyclists I have met in passing this week must think I am really anti cycling as I give them all very very dirty looks...

So to answer the OP's question: Yes, very much so...

mtbr member
    I just moved from UT to MI. I used to ride at least twice a week. Now I hardly ride because "mountain biking" here is about as exciting as sitting on an exercise bike in a gym. I can see why nobody here bikes and everybody just watches football. Luckily I'm just here temporarily.

MTB B'dos
    OK, stoppidist of the stoopid questions (jk) Seriously, unless you are only in this to loose wieght or some such I'm pretty sure everyone gets frustrated the less they get to ride. The worst thing is, the less you ride, the more you loose fitness and then you get winded faster and can't clear osticles as easy and then get more frustrated Best thing is to really try to at least get in some light trail easy road rides to keep the legs turning and fitness stable until you can hit real trails.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Still surfin in my 60's.
    Here in NC, we are on track for a record number of 90 degree plus days. It is FINALLY starting to cool off, but it starts getting dark much earlier. About the time I start getting in halfway descent shape, I have to park my bike and loose what little I've gained.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Yes, and here comes the winter.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Buddhists have this saying: "If you can't do anyhting about iy, there's no need to get upset. If you can do something about it, there's no need to get upset".

mtbr member
    During the summer I went to bike on my own after I found out that my girlfriend decided it would be cool to start seeing one of my friends. Needless to say, I was already mad at this point so I thought a MTB ride would be good for me. In this case it was not at all. It was a new trail to me, still newer to clipless, and I could not get my mind off of things. So I ended up having my first wreck about 3/4 mile in. It was a pretty good one. Opened a nice size gash on my hand. (had no bandages so I put my hand on the handlebars to stop the bleeding) I kept going anyway, was not about to turn around after just starting. I would say I ended up wrecking another 5-6 times in 10 miles and got lost once. I was very frustrated at myself for doing so bad!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Hell yes...More than 4 days and I start getting snappy with everyone

mtbr member
    I completely misunderstood the title of this thread...

I occasionally get frustrated when I AM biking but can't bike. One time, I literally chucked an old hard tail of mine as far as I could b/c I had tried twenty times unsuccessfully to clean a section of trail that I had done a million times before. It just wasn't my day. I "couldn't" bike. As soon as I let it go I felt stupid for throwing it....

Token Hillbilly
    I start getting bat-***** crazy by day 3.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    I completely misunderstood the title of this thread...

I occasionally get frustrated when I AM biking but can't bike. One time, I literally chucked an old hard tail of mine as far as I could b/c I had tried twenty times unsuccessfully to clean a section of trail that I had done a million times before. It just wasn't my day. I "couldn't" bike. As soon as I let it go I felt stupid for throwing it....
    That's how I read it as well. And yes when I go out for a full day of riding and find that I am just not at regular performance or I just cant clear the parts I normally do, I leave more frustrated than when I'm not able to for whatever reason (rain, work, life obligations)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2
    JEM
    I'm kinda jealous, my girlfriend is always like:
    "Why don't you not bike today and hang out with me" =)
    Sorry baby I'm already on the trails =P

Yes it pisses me off. School, work, family and girlfriend. I'm lucky I'm able to do maintenance on my bike, I also have the habit of doing the same maintenance job over and over. It helps a little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I know exactly what you mean and I'm the same way. Work is killing me and at times I'm not even sure it's all worth it as all I can't think about is riding. The PNW weather is also not making things better.

I notice I get angry and fustrated easily. My temper gets short and people around me suffer. Yes, I'm with you. I'm addicted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I get frustrated like most, but I never take it out on anyone. It's not like it's their fault, so why piss them off?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JPinFL
    I get frustrated like most, but I never take it out on anyone. It's not like it's their fault, so why piss them off?
    This.

I cope by shopping for parts, got a titus frame, ZTR olympics and a CK headset..need to slow down. Now I gotta get everything put back together by the time I'm allowed to ride again...

mtbr member
    I went to the LBS Thursday and ordered all the parts to go 1x10 (from 2x9), they got them in the next day, I dropped off my bike and told them I was going backpacking for the weekend, I'd pick it up Monday. Went in Monday, and for once, everything went perfectly, bike was finished and shifting great, but of course, I re-injured my knee backpacking. Almost a week later, still killing me. Tried riding today, for 2 miles out and had to turn back because the pain was getting worse. Supposed to go to Kingdom this weekend, I doubt that will go well, but I'm going to try. I'll be with 2 buddies, so if I have to turn back, at least they can still ride. I'll just go buy things at the shop near the parking lot to make myself feel better. So to answer your question, I'm extremely frustrated right now, this is the absolute worse time of the season for me to get injured, some cool new parts and big trip ahead.

mtbr member
    VERY FRUSRATING! At 30, I thought, when my daughter get old enough to hangout by their selves I'd be able to ride as much as I desired. But, at almost 41 now, and my girls 14/18, it seems like I'm nudged out of riding more than ever! When I do get to ride, I feel like I have to rush through it so I can get back to my regular duties. I'm looking forward to when I can ride for hours without a worry in my mind.

Singletrack Slayer
    I am a mega ***** if I don't get a ride in. I ride all year round and if I don't go for more than 2or3 days my wife can tell. Thank god for night riding and of coure BICYCLES. I would not know what to do with out this 2 wheeled wonder!

It is better than going to see a Shrink and it works better too Cheaper too I would assume but how cares. Got to run woods are calling me.....
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

JBH
    mtbr member
    This thread hits home. I'm a total d*ck if I don't get to ride for a few days. It's an incredible stress reliever. I always feel much better after a hard ride.

mtbr member
    Thankfully, I bike to work almost every day-- and there are even a few trails along the way. But one day this week- I had to drive!!!

So not only was I stressed and frustrated at not being able to ride to and from work, but I had the additional frustration of tons of traffic on the way home. Don't know how people do that day in and day out. Not for me!

Binned
    Nov 2008

Yesssss!

Running 2 businesses and being a Dad is hard enough, but then dealing with several days in a row of 100 plus degree heat puts a damper on my riding freedom. Hate that!!!

Hates rain
    It rained good today so i wont be riding for a few days. Im already irritated.

Hates rain
    Throughout the day Ive gone over every component of my bike disassembling, cleaning, relubing everything. Flushed and repacked the bearing in hubs, headset and BB, flushed and bled my brakes, and put new Stans in my tires....now what? I hate rain.

pitbull592
    Tell me about it. I've been riding a long time, and I got hurt at work in the spring. Torn ligaments in my knee, 3 herniated discs and sciatica that can make me cry. All I can do is stare at my bike in my basement. I cleaned it to perfection & once I get my new hoops in the mail this week, she'll be completely rebuilt. I'm having major tinkeritis.

My dr. told me I can try some lite riding, but it's just a tease. My back can't handle the jarring of bumps yet, and thats on a fs rig. Hopefully I'll be back on the trails come spring

Keep the faith
    Fortune favors the bold-Alexander the great

Dirt Deviant
    If I don't get 2 or 3 solid rides in a week, I just feel off.
    That doesn't include riding to work.....I need dirt here people!!
    If I hit day 5 without a ride, I find myself getting snippy.
    The worst part is I work in a bike shop, and get to fix everybodies stuff for 8 hours a day.
    Sometimes I live/ride through my customers.........hahaha
    But it is really satisfying helping someone out and getting them back on the road/dirt, and they are usually very grateful.
    I actually got enough riding in this week to take today as a recovery day. Got a 20 miler planned for first thing in the morning.
    My fiancee would prolly think I was cheating if i wasn't always coming home dirty and smelly....hahaha
    Between us each working, and my riding, we don't get to spend a ton of time together, and we live in the same house....= )
    But she understands, and I love her for it.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

bubbletea Latte'
    Yep, I Endo'd about two weeks back and tweaked something in my back. I'm still unable to raise my arm completely without pain. Just went to a massage therapist two days ago and have noticed improvement.

Members who have read this thread: 0