Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes

I have been riding motox for a while, just getting to the point where im not riding to my potential because of the fear of getting hurt (family, job, etc..). Was thinking of stopping all together and just concentrating on mtn biking. Although i still race cars im wondering if i will miss that feeling of twisting the throttle compared to pedaling. I have mtn biked before and do find it fun and great exercise, im just a motorhead

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Although I dont ride moto X, I do ride motorcycles in the woods and do an occasional off road race, I would NEVER give up riding motorcycles or bicycles. I have been riding motorcycles and Mt bikes since I was 12 years old. Every time I hurt myself on either one I go through a phase of questioning wether it is worth it to continue riding and pushing myself on the said sport and I soon come to the realization that I am already missing riding. DONT GIVE UP ON RIDING MOTORCYCLES, it is a great sport. I have slowed down over the years on DH bikes and Motorcycles, but they still are the #1 thing on my mind. So YES, YOU WILL MISS IT!!!

Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013
    I was forced to quit due to too many injuries. I think about it every time I hear or see a bike. My family still rides, so I can do 1 or 2 races each season by borrowing a bike from my dad or brother. I'm extremely lucky that I have that option. I agree with ^^^. If I didn't have the option of just borrowing a bike, I'd have one just so I could ride when I get the urge. I haven't raced to my full potential in almost 10 years, but getting out and running a C class race once or twice a year still feels good. Plus some of my best friends I've ever had, I met through racing. Keep on riding, just might be time to be OK going out for Sunday ride more than full throttle every moto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcjr View Post
    I have been riding motox for a while, just getting to the point where im not riding to my potential because of the fear of getting hurt (family, job, etc..). Was thinking of stopping all together and just concentrating on mtn biking. Although i still race cars im wondering if i will miss that feeling of twisting the throttle compared to pedaling. I have mtn biked before and do find it fun and great exercise, im just a motorhead
    Don't give up on the moto! Try some off road racing instead, a little less intense and more seat time. I love riding my MTB but my dez racing is my first love.
    What kind of car racing do you do?

mtbr member
    I've slowly transitioned from a full time moto guy (30 years of riding and racing dirt bikes) to, over the last 10 years, becoming a full time MTB guy. I still keep my KTM 300 because I can't stand the thought of not having a dirt bike but Im finding I ride it less and less. And when I do take it out I think more about getting hurt than I ever used to. So, yes, I've thought about giving it up.

But then I took it out this last weekend for the first time in several months on a "perfect dirt" day and had a ball even if I did feel a bit more awkward and cautious than normal.

Both are good, but if you're asking if the thrill and joy of moto-x can be replaced by mountain biking, I'd say, for the most part, yes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I sold my CR250f to buy my MTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes

I gave up dirt bikes about several years ago & on occasions, I do miss it, but one killer ride on the MTB takes care of that feeling. On the positive side I ride my MTB almost everyday & I'm in better shape then I've been in for many years. I've got tons of mountain biking friends & best of all, most of my trails are within 30mins or closer for me to ride. I'm almost always back before noon to do family stuff. Where as dirt bike riding was also leave as dawn & return at dusk .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcjr View Post
    I never raced motox, but I had been racing car for about 10 years before I picked up biking again. The car racing was fun, but it was getting too much. Too much time and money. When is started car racing I had little money, but enough time to compensate. later it got to the point where I had little money and no time. So put that on the shelf for bit and started biking again. Not the same, but some how easier since I have more time and I am more flexible. Now there are not more bike 3 day race weekends away from home once a month and no weekend spending all day wrenching on the car.

Now it just a few hrs one day each weekend morning and 2 hrs mid week. Wrenching time is almost no nothing. Plus parts are 1/10 the price. But yet still my wife complains how much time it takes to ride.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I just recently got back into MTB riding about 6 months ago. This was after a 10 year hiatus from bikes during which time I rode dirt bikes both at the tracks and desert. I loved riding Mountain bikes many years ago but once the dirt bike got into the garage the MTB bike just hung there for years getting dusty. Eventually sold that bicycle off.

Then about 6 months ago, I realized I just wasn't getting out to the track anymore and my desert friends had moved away and the MX bike wasn't getting any use. I figured I was getting out to the track only 3-4 times a year and it just wasn't worth it anymore, not to mention time is at a premium now with two kids.

So I made the hard decision to sell the KX250F. I literally took the cash to the bike shop the day I sold it and put every dollar into a new mountain bike. Best decision I could have made. I live near tons of trails and it is so easy to slip out and get some trail time. Within the first month of having the bike I'd say I had more time on it than the last 5 years of riding motocross.

Not to say I don't' still love the idea of turning laps at the track, it was just a reality that this was going to be more bang for my buck at this stage of my life.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I grew up in motorsports and lived and breathed motorcycles for a while. More pavement than dirt but I did have dirt bikes. I kind of lost interest in motorized recreation as I got into more non motorized activities like cycling, hiking, climbing, paddling, etc. I also came to appreciate the natural world more and saw what a big footprint - on the land and on other people around dirt bikes, ATV, snowmobiles, and all their relatives have. Although I fully understand the allure of having a lot of horsepower at your command, I no longer have any desire to partake in motorized recreation.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Started riding dirt bikes at 12 years old. Had dirt bikes off and on through my mid 30's. Then my wife's sister who is a fitness freak turned my wife onto mountain biking around 10 years ago. That started it for me, as it was getting harder to find places to ride dirt bikes, and moto-x racing was getting expensive and time consuming once we had two kids. Been riding mt. bikes for about 10 years now and really don't miss the moto too much since the places to ride were dwindling anyhow. I might feel different if there were more open lands to go riding here in north Texas where I live, but mountain biking opened up a whole new hobby for me as I hardly realized it existed. Also many trails to choose from (relatively speaking), not to mention downhill, which my wife and I enjoy when we can get to the mountains of N.M or CO. I always wandered what would consume my time if I wasn't riding dirt bikes. Turns out I'm still playing in the dirt on two wheels which makes me happy!!

mtbr member
    Sold my KTM 300 to buy my MTN bike.Never looked back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I rode dirt bikes for 10+ years. I got my first MTB as a training tool for the dirt bike. After a while I realized I was riding the MTB a lot more than the dirt bike. Then I lost my job and couldn't afford to ride the dirt bike but I could still ride MTB. Finally sold the dirt bike and never looked back.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I wasn't an MX guy but I did lots of Enduro and Harescramble races. Gave it up about two years ago. I've always mountain biked so I just kept in with that and sold the Moto bike and gear. Never been happier. I never realized how much money and time the moto bikes took up, leaves me with lots of time for mountain biking and riding with my boy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I started riding dirt bikes at age 5 or 6 but always in the desert or in the woods. I never touched a track until age 39 or 40. At age 45, while riding in the woods, I broke my femur and tore every ligament in my knee. I recovered after sitting on the couch for (6) months and gaining 20 lbs. I rode for another couple years but never got back on the track. Then on a family vacation up in Mammoth Lakes (the same area I got hurt), I literally had an epiphany and realized I was just going through the motions and wasn't really having a lot of fun anymore. Two months later, I sold all the dirt bikes, my toy hauler and my truck!!

I had been mountain biking for 20+ years but riding dirt bikes had definitely been the priority for a while. I started riding MTB's religiously again to lose the 20 lbs I gained and now I'm beyond hooked again. Nearly every vacation revolves around the ability to mountain bike. There are times when I'm having to work real hard on a climb that I miss the throttle but that feeling is dwarfed 100X over by the places that I can get out to in the middle of the woods somewhere that moto's aren't allowed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I sold my dirt bike years ago. Just for the reasons you stated. Job and family. However riding the mountain bike to me is much like riding my dirt bike. I am having a blast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Have made the mistake of selling a moto years back only to get another.Still got a cr500 although i am 41 i like to push it too at the dunes but also know where i need to stop at.

Dont think i will get rid of it even if i only ride it here and there.

mtbr member
    I'll say I'm in an MX hiatus for the past few years. Having two girls that are almost teenagers now the dirt bikes were just something that took too much of my time to really enjoy it: driving out to track on weekends, practice days during the week if I was lucky, and the maintenance. Had to let one hobby go (for now) and cycling is something I can do from my garage door, the occasional race day is not as demanding, helps me stay in a shape besides round, and keeping 3 bicycles going takes less time than I'd spend changing oil and cleaning the air filter on the thumper.

Truth be told MTBs were my first passion but I sure miss the MX track every now and then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I've slowly transitioned from a full time moto guy (30 years of riding and racing dirt bikes) to, over the last 10 years, becoming a full time MTB guy. I still keep my KTM 300 because I can't stand the thought of not having a dirt bike but Im finding I ride it less and less. And when I do take it out I think more about getting hurt than I ever used to. So, yes, I've thought about giving it up.

But then I took it out this last weekend for the first time in several months on a "perfect dirt" day and had a ball even if I did feel a bit more awkward and cautious than normal.

Both are good, but if you're asking if the thrill and joy of moto-x can be replaced by mountain biking, I'd say, for the most part, yes.

I was much in the same boat.....
    .......Then I saw the Imperial Dunes when I moved to California at the beginning of the year. So I haven't actually owned a dirtbike in about 17-18 years, and now keep finding myself searching CR 450s

Street bikes are my actual passion, I got back into peddle bikes to stay in shape at the motorcycle track. NOTHING compares to rolling 100mph, with a knee down within inches of your buddy. Its the most fun I can have with clothes on. However, it is a hell of a workout and I'm not a 23 year old military guy that could spend all day every session out on the track with no prep work.

Still I love anything with two wheel that is fast enough to do something stupid with, so its all good here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
    I was much in the same boat.....
    .......Then I saw the Imperial Dunes when I moved to California at the beginning of the year. So I haven't actually owned a dirtbike in about 17-18 years, and now keep finding myself searching CR 450s

Street bikes are my actual passion, I got back into peddle bikes to stay in shape at the motorcycle track. NOTHING compares to rolling 100mph, with a knee down within inches of your buddy. Its the most fun I can have with clothes on. However, it is a hell of a workout and I'm not a 23 year old military guy that could spend all day every session out on the track with no prep work.

Still I love anything with two wheel that is fast enough to do something stupid with, so its all good here.
    I know that feeling well , and I'll have to say blasting thru the woods on fresh dirt after a nice rain, on ripper single track is just as good if not a better all around experience, in my opinion. To me going around in circles doing the same set of turns over and over, trying to inch out that last second is kind of a weird concept in retrospect. While getting a good workout, and becoming one with the flow of the trail, turning something so unpredictable into smoothness, and enjoying nature isn't weird
    friends don't let friends Fred

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    I know that feeling well, and I'll have to say blasting thru the woods on fresh dirt after a nice rain, on ripper single track is just as good if not a better all around experience, in my opinion
    When I was riding MX my riding buddies called me George, as in George of the Jungle

"Watch out for that treeeeeeee!" and all that.

mtbr member
    Sorry I edited my post George of the Jungle, I meant mtb v streetbikes. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Issue of course being that now I'm looking at FS MTBs that are in the ballpark of a track bike.....

.....tires are cheaper at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
    Issue of course being that now I'm looking at FS MTBs that are in the ballpark of a track bike.....

.....tires are cheaper at least.
    Word to that

And they devalue like a trackbike and look all beatup like one after a few seasons. Tires might be cheaper but they wear out pretty fast too...if you want the best grip

mtbr member
    I will be transitioning to bicycles again. Used to race mountain and road bikes back in the 90's. Stopped in '97, and took up moto in '99. Raced moto and hare scrambles for years. Ran some expert, but it finally just got too expensive to do, and keep enjoying it. Stopped racing and just became a "professional practice rider".
    Got hurt pretty bad in September (4 broken ribs, collapsed right lung, separated shoulder grade 3). Had to be helicoptered to the hospital where I spent 4 days in the trauma unit, chest tube and all.

Wife told me I need to stop. We have a now 17 month old, so I will be transitioning this year back to bicycling from motorcycling.

It's a sad year. I love motocross. It has been the one thing I did that I truly was really good at, that came almost effortlessly to me. Unfortunately, starting riding MX at 19, I knew it would only be a hobby sport, but man, what a great thing to do. Other bad part, in June I just bought my new bike, 2013 KTM 450SXF. Sold my '04 KTM 450SX, so I will have to sell this new bike a the end of 2014.

I am hurting endurance and strength wise on the bicycle, but I have found my technical ability is still good. It's been fun riding with the old crew, and beating them downhills and on technical stuff. Unfortunatley, they blow me away as soon as I hit the uphills. I keep twisting the right twisty thing on the bike, but I never seem to go faster. Ah well. It will come back

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast