Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I've kind of gone the opposite - in a good way. At age 38 with a 10yo that fell in love with motorcycles from powered scooters, pocket bikes, etc, he decided he wanted a dirt bike. I hadn't ridden a "moto" since I was a kid, when we had quads. I picked him up a TTR110 and because I can't just turn him loose in the desert just yet, I picked up a TTR230 for myself. We have been having a blast over the past 6 months, his skills & confidence have gone way up and thankfully we have had no major injuries. I find that after 20+ years of mountain biking from XC to DH and back to XC over my life span, I have really good bike handling skills on the moto.

My 12yo wants no part of the dirt bike thing, he's all about mountain biking with dad. So, I am lucky to get to spend my weekends with my boys riding moto one day, and mountain biking the next. In fact, younger brother has also gotten the mountain biking bug so now the three of us going out and have a good time on the prime single track 5 minutes from home! I do find that riding the dirt bike has made me want to ride my mountain bike much more again, and that was an unexpected plus. I thought after twisting a throttle I was going to want no part of pedaling again!!

Of course here are some pics and yes both of those kids are on 29"ers!
    I'm in the same boat! After 20 years of mtn. biking, at 45, I bought a 2013 Yamaha TTR-230 & absolutely love woods riding! I just wish I could ride more singletrack trails with it. All the trails are always atv trails.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm thankful I found this thread, this sums up my struggle the past year or so.

I'm 23 years old, and have been riding and racing dirt bikes since I was a little kid. At 16 I got to the A level and started racing some pro stuff all around the country. Since 2011, I've quit moto twice due to injuries but came back because it's the only thing I know and was the only thing that I felt fulfilled after doing. I owned a road bicycle for years and actually somewhat enjoyed riding that even though it was just training for MX.

About 6 months ago my friend who is a MTB guy convinced me to borrow one of his bikes (it was a heavier all-mountain FS) and I started riding the trails around my house a lot. I started really falling in love with the challenge of climbing and pushing myself to pedal farther than I thought I could, so 2 months ago I bought a Trek 29er hardtail. Since then I've put about 500 miles on it, and I haven't even thought about dirt bikes.

I am a mechanic for a SX/MX team currently and have complete financial backing if I was to want to ride and/or race (was given a bike with my name on the MSO, all my wear parts paid for, mod motors/suspension paid for) but have found myself not riding more than a handful of times the past couple years because all I can think about while I'm riding is getting hurt.

Since starting riding MTB, I've finally found something that gives me that feeling of being satisfied, and knowing I'm going to come home safe and intact has really been nice.

With all this said, I am making the decision to sell my last remaining bike and move on. I still really enjoy racing (as it's my career and what I'm around every day) but I think I'm finally going to be able to enjoy it without participating, and I'm thankful I'm doing it while I'm still in one piece (thanks to previous orthopedic surgeons)

Here's a pic from the last time I rode a few months ago, might be the last pic I have of me ever riding

And my 2012 CRF450R I'll be selling with less than 20 hours on it

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Interesting thread as it hits home with me. Here's a simple timeline of my events with both.

2001 - 15 years old - got a XR200 I learned to ride on
    2002 - sold XR200 and got CR125R - rode MX and trails, but never raced
    2004 - went to college, sold CR125R
    2005 - bought BMX bike for college commuting
    2005 - thought BMX was too small for Hill Country in Texas, so purchased a 26er HT
    2005-2009 - Rode 26er HT on XC trails in Texas, moved to Colorado and rented DH bikes at Bike Parks a few times
    2010-2011 - Fell away from MTB in pursuit of getting married, new career, new cars, saving for house
    2012 - Bought a CR250R
    2012 - BROKEN FEMUR and ANKLE ON DIRTBIKE w/ a 5 month old son
    2012- SOLD DIRT BIKE
    2013- Recovery from Femur injury and promotion at job
    2014- Getting back into Mountain Biking on same 26er HT from 2005

IF I prove to myself that I will use my mountain bike a lot this year, riding regularly, safely and having fun, I will upgrade to a 29er FS bike in the fall. I'm getting excited about this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ive been on and off with mountain bikes since I was a kid, most recently in 2010-11, when I was riding a DH bike in the east TN mountains. I eventually sold that bike and started riding dual sport motorcycles for town/trail riding, and even going so far as to sell my old truck and use a KLR650 as my only transportation for the last year and a half.

When I moved back to Texas last December to go to school, I bought a $50 garage sale mountain bike to get to class on. The night of my second day riding it around town, I was on Ebay and Pinkbike searching for used AM bikes so I could have something to take out to the DORBA trails. Ended up with a FR bike with 2.5" slicks for riding around town and campus. Way too much bike to comfortably take on all-day jaunts to the XC trails around here, but it's fun barreling down the 50+ stair sets and ledges around campus between classes.

Sold the motorcycle about a month ago for a beater car, and once I get a rack, I will be hitting up every urban center I can find to session my FR bike. I've got no regrets to selling the motorcycle for a car to indulge the MTB insanity, and once I get a proper XC bike, I can actually go out on the trails without dying of exhaustion from pushing the pig around. Win, Win, Win.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I got into mtb from mx in the early 90s. Started mtb racing (XC) in 1994, and sold my last bike, a 95 KX 250 in 1996. Kept following the pro side though, and to this day some of my closest friends are from mx, and it's really the only sport I follow closely as a spectator.

For the mx racers in this thread, try cyclocross racing. Despite the lack of jumps, it's the closest bicycle racing gets to mx in my opinion. It's (mostly) off road, multiple lap courses, wider than singletrack, and has back and forth racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What team do you work for? SX/MX is also the only sport I really follow. I'm an old guy though, but i love to watch. If you want some mtn bike skills ride with Tomacs' old man some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle978 View Post
    I'm thankful I found this thread, this sums up my struggle the past year or so.

I'm 23 years old, and have been riding and racing dirt bikes since I was a little kid. At 16 I got to the A level and started racing some pro stuff all around the country. Since 2011, I've quit moto twice due to injuries but came back because it's the only thing I know and was the only thing that I felt fulfilled after doing. I owned a road bicycle for years and actually somewhat enjoyed riding that even though it was just training for MX.

About 6 months ago my friend who is a MTB guy convinced me to borrow one of his bikes (it was a heavier all-mountain FS) and I started riding the trails around my house a lot. I started really falling in love with the challenge of climbing and pushing myself to pedal farther than I thought I could, so 2 months ago I bought a Trek 29er hardtail. Since then I've put about 500 miles on it, and I haven't even thought about dirt bikes.

I am a mechanic for a SX/MX team currently and have complete financial backing if I was to want to ride and/or race (was given a bike with my name on the MSO, all my wear parts paid for, mod motors/suspension paid for) but have found myself not riding more than a handful of times the past couple years because all I can think about while I'm riding is getting hurt.

Since starting riding MTB, I've finally found something that gives me that feeling of being satisfied, and knowing I'm going to come home safe and intact has really been nice.

With all this said, I am making the decision to sell my last remaining bike and move on. I still really enjoy racing (as it's my career and what I'm around every day) but I think I'm finally going to be able to enjoy it without participating, and I'm thankful I'm doing it while I'm still in one piece (thanks to previous orthopedic surgeons)

Here's a pic from the last time I rode a few months ago, might be the last pic I have of me ever riding

And my 2012 CRF450R I'll be selling with less than 20 hours on it

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I quit after the accident............
    MY buddy and i were riding and doing some jumps and went for a jump but the bike went too far ahead of him and when he landed, he landed with his hands down and his fingers went inside the sprocket and frame and just chopped em off. since they were chopped off and not sliced off they couldnt put em back on. since the muscle and skin got stretched. i mean dont get me wrong i still ride but not like i use to.

mtbr member
    I do both, I have been MTB'ing on and off for 20 years, road riding all my life, dirt bikes one and off for all that time. I wouldn't give up either. I'm a little older, 50's and been hurt riding all of them, some pretty bad stuff also, I got me a knee replacement last year and just got back from three days in Utah dirt riding, and done a few MTB rides since. The two have similar skill sets and I love doing both. I'm not quiting either, just wish the MTB and Dirt Bike community would team up to save our trails, the bad guys are trying to shut all of us down. Anyway don't stop doing what you love.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Been MXing for years. It's always been my passion.

Been MTBing for 8 months and now prefer the MTB.

Kind of sucks because for the first time I could afford to sort of build my dream MX bike and did just that last year. I'd lose my butt if I sold it now. I am still MXing once a week but mostly prefer the MTB.

Less injuries, more accesable, less $, less time, more variety, etc... these are the draws towards MTBing for me.

Your killing my Strava

anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Less injuries, more accesable, less $, less time, more variety, etc... these are the draws towards MTBing for me.
    Yep my main reasons too. Also add fitness to that list
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    All the motox trail riding spots in my area are long gone, and the remaining spots are far away and so expensive for a day of riding. I sold all my dirtbikes/gear and only ride mtb's. I have been having loads of fun.

mtbr member
    I quit MX the day I was born...been riding mountain bikes ever since

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I quit mx long ago. We used to train by riding MTB, thi swas in the early 90's so mountain bikes weren't much more than road bikes with wide tires then. Back then you couldn't find any singletrack around here, at least nothing that was like it is now. However there were 12 MX tracks within a 3 hour drive. Now it is just the opposite. I would probably still do it on occasion, but my life insurance policy strictly forbids it, along with skydiving and other adrenaline filled hobbies.

Occasionally I get a weird look when I rail a corner with my inside leg out, or hit a jump while seated then go upright just as the rear suspension rebounds. Old habits are hard to break. Minus the throttle, I ride my mtb like it is an MX, of course I can't really slide of on the seat in corners, but a dropper does help get the feeling a bit more.
    The best things in life are not things.

Motion activated
    I did the opposite and have all but given up the MTB for a KTM 300 xc-w.

I moved to the mountains a few years back and can ride 3+ times a week, from my garage. It only takes ~ 20 mins and I'm on top of the continental divide with seemingly endless trail options.

It's an expensive sport, but it's the constant maintenance that is a PITA for me, since I do most of it myself.

But I gotta say, dirt biking is so rewarding. It's much more fun/addictive than I ever imagined... it's the crack of the bike world.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I did not read the whole thread. I have 30 years of expert MX racing and 30 years of MTB riding. I have accumulated countless broken bones from motocross, and nothing more than a hip pointer injury from MTB. In fact, I have only fallen on my MTB a couple of times in 30 years, which I attribute to my MX experience.

Having said that, I will say that I think MTB riding can potentially be just as risky as MX, because hitting the ground at low or high speed is the same impact, whether you fall off a MX or MTB bike. MX has an advantage in that the protective gear is much better compared to what an all-mountain rider wears. That is why park riders wear just about all of the same gear as MX riders.

We were recently riding the fine trails on Mammoth Mountain when my wife tipped over at slow speed in a hairpin turn and broke her hip. The top of her femur was broken in two right below the ball and somehow she got back on the bike and rode another couple miles on the gradual downhill trail until she got to an uphill where she had to dismount and wait for help.

She says she will not ride anymore, at least not on anything tougher than a bunny trail. She enjoys riding so I hope she will change her mind and get back on the horse.

As for myself, if I had to choose between the two, I would rather ride a dirt bike. After my last broken bone two years ago my wife has been very "unsupportive" of my MX riding, so to keep the peace I have only been riding my MTB. Someday I will finish my off road race car that I designed and built from scratch. With age comes a cage so they say, but I will always want to ride my MTB and MX bike.

mtbr member
    My husband used to ride a motorcycle before, but after getting into a serious accident which results to his leg fracture he quit using it. So after a year of treatment he can now walk normally. But he declined on riding a motorcycle instead he was now using a mountain bike. He's scared he might encounter another accident again if he insist to used his motorcycle. For him riding a bike is like hitting two birds in one stone, keeping him away from serious danger and of course exercise.

I love Pisgah
    I raced MX for approx 12yrs. 2/3s of that was 125 expert during the good ol 2 stroke days(early 70s thru mid 80s).

Then roadraced for 4 yrs during the late 80s. WERA national champ my first novice yr in 750 superbike(BSB). First expert yr I won 2 regional titles and finished 4th in the country. Sure was fun, but crazy expensive.

Been racing mtbs for 12yrs now. State title a few yrs ago. 1.5yrs ago I crashed my track duty GSXR750 resulting in a broken neck(2 times), broken back(7 times), broke every rib on 1 side w most on the other, punctured lungs, knocked out by 6 front teeth, broekn eye socket, lacerated kidney and liver, etc. Been a looooong road to recovery since then. Almost there, altho I still have some issues from the crash. Will get back into mtb racing starting this winter with the Snake Creek Gap TT. Feels good to finally be getting strong again. Well, it actually feels good to have just survived. haha ..or worse, be paralyzed.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    There sounds like there are plenty of us with similar histories, as an earlier poster stated, it's too bad we don't live closer, it would be fun to get together for a MTB ride with a bunch of recovering and current MXers.

FWIW, I love both, and at this time don't see giving up either, rather more emphasis on one or the other for a time.
    And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

mtbr member
    I raced motorcycles for 4 years (amateur level) in the regionals and nationals here in Canada. I've had them all; GSXR600s & 750s. CBR600RRs, R6, etc. $3000/weekend between entrance fees, fuel, tires, etc. I couldn't handle the costs anymore. Not to mention the injuries from crashes. Decided to quit sport bikes and ride trails, with a CRF 250X. Had lots of fun, it even evolved into racing a season of Supermoto... great times.

I'm 34 now, and quit riding/racing motorcycles 4 years ago. At that point I hung up the leather suit for a mtb jersey and haven't looked back. Great exercise, enjoy nature and best of all I feel awesome!

I'll always love motorcycles for the great memories, and great friends I met along the way. But those days are behind me
    MTB: 2011 Trek HiFi Pro 29er
    ROAD:2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6

mtbr member
    This thread sums up the last few months of my life perfectly.

I started out when I was a kid on mini bikes, just goofing off on the farm. For a long time that was all I, and all my friends did. Dirtbikes, quads, you name it. Eventually after high school I started racing quads and won a couple championships at the GNCCs. I loved those days...

The cost of college and the expensive nature of the sport led me to [sadly] hang up racing when I was really doing well. I had a few dirtbikes too and sold everything but one dirtbike. I raced the bike off and on for fun and eventually graduated to full time practice track bum.

As the rest of you know....when life picks up and riding frequency takes a dive, weird things happen. I started to go to the track and get frustrated at the little mistakes I would make because I was only riding 2 or 3 times a month instead of 5 times a week. The racer in you just won't let you go any slower than you know you're capable of and before you know it, you're on the couch with two torn ACLs, rehabbing from one surgery and preparing for the next. (Thankfully it's not in addition to two broken legs or even worse like it probably should have been...)

I'm off all things with wheels for the next 6 months or so and it's driving me nuts. When I get back I doubt if i'll ever ride moto again. I LOVE it.... and there is nothing that can replace the feeling of coming out of a corner and going double, double, triple on an SX layout.... but it's just not worth the pain I'm going through now.

I've always enjoyed MTB and will continue to do so as long as rehab goes as well as I hope. From here on out, it's likely pedal power for this guy. MTB is cheaper if done right, easier access, socially accepted in public places, and less of a time commitment....all great things....and no ****** f****** bottom end rebuilds.

Thanks all for the thread.... dug up some great memories for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes-ad1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll always be a fan though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes-chainswhips.png  

Front Range, Colorado
    I grew up riding MX from 8 years old. Here's some shots at age 30 in 1991'. Glamis sand dunes So. Cal. I gave it up a couple years later due to a bad crash. I then needed an outlet similar to MX so I got into stand up freestyle jet skiing. Which I did for 10 years but right in the middle of that I took up mtbing in 2000'. I'm 52 now and still crave MX but I know the consequences of a crash.

The photo with two riders I'm on the right.

And yes the one photo has a real dune buggy in the background not a toy. Optical illusion.

I threw a couple photos of when I was 14 playing trials rider through the water.

And a 75' Yamaha MX 400 B the first mono shock production bike. My older brother bought it new and I later bought it from him. The bike with the yellow on the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images                      
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

I love Pisgah
    I gotz some pics.

125 expert in 1975, being in the hey days of MX. About half of the starting line. I'm middle right with the below pic'd helmet.

same race in 2nd. I was racing for a local mx shop. WFOracing.

had a limited support deal with Honda in 76-77. Won 12 regional money-class races in a row once. Then the destroyed knee happened.. like many others.

Leading the support class (125 expert in this case)in a 78 Trans AMA at Burnt Hickory moto park(Ga) for the first half of the race..before fadding back since I was outta shape at the time(didn't work so well with about 100* that day in the shade). During one of my "after knee surgery" comebacks. With varying degrees of success.

The start of the above TransAMA. I'm center #12 getting the hole shot.

As I stated, I roadraced for 4 yrs. Won several titles. Here I am leading pro factory riders Scott Russell and Mike Smith. I was 2nd that day.

While in a 2 wheel drift, trying to keep the lead from Russell. To no avail of course.

Couple yrs ago here at a local road, called the Tail of the Dragon. I live next door to it.

"I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Love these motorcycle pics, had to post a few of mine.

And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

Front Range, Colorado
    Wow there's some great stuff in here. If any of you are interested there's the "official" motorcycle thread you can also post in.

O.C. Official Motorcycle thread.....
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast