Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
    I was much in the same boat.....
    .......Then I saw the Imperial Dunes when I moved to California at the beginning of the year. So I haven't actually owned a dirtbike in about 17-18 years, and now keep finding myself searching CR 450s
    We got to glamis about 8 times a year and its hard to beat a bike out there for sure.Have a sand rail also but thats one of the reasons i keep my cr500 very hard to beat the big bore 2stroke in the dunes.best is the 500 motor in the 450 chasis

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    mmmmm two smoker, I miss them a lot.

...of course I don't miss the associated hospital bills

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcjr View Post
    I have been riding motox for a while, just getting to the point where im not riding to my potential because of the fear of getting hurt (family, job, etc..). Was thinking of stopping all together and just concentrating on mtn biking. Although i still race cars im wondering if i will miss that feeling of twisting the throttle compared to pedaling. I have mtn biked before and do find it fun and great exercise, im just a motorhead
    I've been through a similar thinking process before, although I was more of an offroad motorcyclist (Hare Scrambles etc) vs. Motocross. I sold all my motorcycles once after an injury and gave it up for about a year. Same issues - just too dangerous. Also, the time involvement, especially for racing was too much.

But, I found I really missed the motos. My son, who was about 12 at the time wrote me a proposal to get back into it. "Why fathers should ride dirtbikes with their sons" When my wife started encouraging me, I was sold.

I've found a happy medium that I love. I just explore on my dirtbike nowadays (KTM 400 with a tag) and find joy in a day of clearing tough woods sections. It's also a great sport as the kids get older. Not many things that a late teens want to do with their dads and offroad motorcycles will get them out there. 3 of my kids are young adults now and we've had some great adventure trips on the motos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    back when I was young, riding motos was just something everyone did. Not so much Moto-x (I remember when Greeves was still competitive!), because that was a coastal thing; Midwesterners did enduro.

I got waylaid by the Trials thing in the 1970's, eventually graduating from a Yamaha TY250 to a Bul and then a Montesa. Still miss that Cota. In the 1970's I also built a few Honda thumpers, eventually building a series of XL-350 flattrackers that would eat BSA and Triumph singles (and clutches) for lunch.

For recreation we rode pretty much anywhere we liked thinking that by the time anyone could do anything about we'd be gone. Of course, we ruined it for everyone that way; I started mountain biking in 1983 or 1984 because it was quiet and didn't bother anyone. The Trials thing made the transition: I could have fun for an hour just sessioning on a log.

I still have a TY250 and one of the XL-350's in a hillclimb frame, but niether has moved in 10 years. If I was riding moto, I'd be crippled up; riding bicycles keep me young.

mtbr member
    I used to race motocross and now just rides bikes on the road, MTB, fat. Sometimes I miss it, but it's nice to be able to ride right from my house, not drive 30-100 miles to a track, ride all day and then have to clean the bikes & do repairs when you get home.

I don't miss the crashes, catching feet in ruts and twisting ankles or hard landings though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Aaron Gwin did and it worked out alright for him

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I've kind of gone the opposite - in a good way. At age 38 with a 10yo that fell in love with motorcycles from powered scooters, pocket bikes, etc, he decided he wanted a dirt bike. I hadn't ridden a "moto" since I was a kid, when we had quads. I picked him up a TTR110 and because I can't just turn him loose in the desert just yet, I picked up a TTR230 for myself. We have been having a blast over the past 6 months, his skills & confidence have gone way up and thankfully we have had no major injuries. I find that after 20+ years of mountain biking from XC to DH and back to XC over my life span, I have really good bike handling skills on the moto.

My 12yo wants no part of the dirt bike thing, he's all about mountain biking with dad. So, I am lucky to get to spend my weekends with my boys riding moto one day, and mountain biking the next. In fact, younger brother has also gotten the mountain biking bug so now the three of us going out and have a good time on the prime single track 5 minutes from home! I do find that riding the dirt bike has made me want to ride my mountain bike much more again, and that was an unexpected plus. I thought after twisting a throttle I was going to want no part of pedaling again!!

Of course here are some pics and yes both of those kids are on 29"ers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes-photo.jpg  

anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes-photo3.jpg  

anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes-photo4.jpg  

anyone ever quit motocross and just ride mtn bikes-photo5.jpg  

26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    I rode moto on and off for over 30 years, went for a MTB ride one day, and never went back to moto.

Sold my YZ125, and CRF450 and bought a MTB about 2 years ago, dont even miss moto. MTB just fits better into my life/family, etc.

mtbr member
    I rode dirt bikes a lot back in the day as a teenager. The land and trails we were allowed on kept getting more restrictive and soon there was no where left nearby to ride. So the natural progression became a focus on mountain bikes. Less injuries and better cardio but just as much fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Having ridden mx since I was 15 (and am now 39) I find I ride less and less on the mx track, and have not raced in 2 years. I race enduros and do a lot more trail riding now, and really like it. I have lost a lot of that competative edge, and am no longer willing to get hurt like before. I just like play riding and doing enduros for fun and fitness. I have been riding the MTB's since '99 and love it. So much less time consuming than riding moto! I can ride the MTB from my house to some great trails, but to ride moto I have to trailer to the next country (not a typo...I have to use my passport and cross an international border into the next country to ride!). Then you add up the hours driving, cleaning, maintaining plus costs moto gets really expensive. I love it, but the mtb is just as fun, if a little different and way cheaper and less time consuming.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've also gone the opposite. I am in my mid 40's, but find myself riding MX more and more(3 days a week). I mean, I do love mountain biking and own bikes from almost all disciplines except dirt jumping, but riding mountain bike never gives me the same excitement and satisfaction as MX does. If I were riding desert, trail or woods, I would probably pick MTB, but for me MX can't be replaced with MTB.

I even switched from 450 to 250 2 stroke to keep my edge since I realized riding 450 makes me a little lazy. I put track only 90H on my 14' KTM 250SX in 6 month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by butasan View Post
    I even switched from 450 to 250 2 stroke to keep my edge since I realized riding 450 makes me a little lazy. I put track only 90H on my 14' KTM 250SX in 6 month.
    I just put a 300 kit from Slavins racing on my 2011 KTM250XC....waiting on a new FMF Gnarly to come in (Cracked the old pipe) so have not ridden it as a 300 yet...cant wait!! 2 strokes are so much fun to ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

I have an old yz125 that I ride when I have a little extra time and money. Mtbing is just so easy and less expensive to get out on the trail while moto takes up basically the whole day. I raced mx since I was a kid but just ride for fun these days. As much as I love biking, I just have to have the option to be able to take my dirt bike out. That's why I have an inexpensive 2-stroke that is fine sitting in the garage and may sit for a month or 2 at a time but when I want to I take it to the track because I just get that itch to ride. Even if I wanted to sell it, I probably wouldn't get more than $1500 for it and I'm not hurting enough for money to justify selling it. On top of that, the fact that I don't ride much means I don't have to replace parts too frequently.
    My opinion is, if you don't need the cash for it, just keep the Mx bike and spin a few laps when you feel like it. Nothing wrong with having multiple hobbies if you don't take the all or nothing approach.
    Just wanted to share my baby

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks for all the replies. Im still up in the air with moto. I still do race an SCCA car and will always race some sort of car, i can never give that up. Im thinking of moving on from moto, tracks are far away, mtn bike trails are all over the place by my house and yes you could get hurt in MBiking but i feel a little less than in MX. And that is one of my reasons of thinking of moving on, i do not want to and cant ride around and think about getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ya for sure that's the flip side of it. If you can't enjoy the ride, then it's honestly money wasted. I used to race quads and actually got pretty decent. I was at the local B level and about to the point to move up to the A class. If you know moto, you should have a pretty good idea of how sketchy quads are on Mx tracks. It honestly got to the point where I'm 4-5th pinned on the approach to some jump that was either land it perfect or it's going to hurt, and it's all I could think about. Winning races was fun but the actual races just weren't really fun anymore. My last race I won and it was probably my best race ever but it was also my last on a quad. I packed it up, found a buyer for my quad, bought a dirt bike, and found myself back to square 1 in the moto scene. I haven't ridden a quad since. The only regret I have is that I didn't start out on bikes.
    If it's something you just aren't into anymore, then it might be good to pack it up. It sounds like you already have another cool hobby and mtbing is a blast too.
    Here's my take on it man. Based on you hobbies, you can probably stand to park the bike for a while without hurting for the cash value of it. Change the oil, clean the air filter, drain the gas (basically have it ready to take out to the track on a moments notice but where it could be parked for a few months too), and just put it on the back burner. The only one that can truely decide whether or not you can walk away from it is you. So give yourself the opportunity to in order to see if you can, but if you decide you can't then at least you still have your bike there! Don't jump into anything too quickly.

mtbr member
    I sold my KTM 300 XCW, and 250 XCFW last year because while my lower back has no issues with 4 hour long rides on a full rigid MTB, it won't take more than an hour on a MX track or hare scrambles course without causing me severe pain for the next 4 days. I'd love to say I miss it, but I find that I do not.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I have been riding motox for a while, just getting to the point where im not riding to my potential because of the fear of getting hurt (family, job, etc..). Was thinking of stopping all together and just concentrating on mtn biking. Although i still race cars im wondering if i will miss that feeling of twisting the throttle compared to pedaling. I have mtn biked before and do find it fun and great exercise, im just a motorhead
    You're not alone. I quit motorcycle roadracing for mountain biking and I have at least 8 friends who have done the same.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    I, like others here, have stopped and started riding dirt bikes several times. But then, I stopped riding bicycles for a while and started again that now too. I'm a woods rider on the dirt bikes as I'm a XC rider on the mtn bikes. Too old and not willing to risk my neck with motocross or downhill, so I stay with the fitness side and just enjoy the day and the ride. Don't know how much longer I'll be on the motorcycles, but with the help of bicycle fitness, hopefully a little while yet.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm in the "no more mx" camp. I get more enjoyment and self-fulfillment out of MTB. But I do want an adv bike, like a KLR or BMW.

Your killing my Strava
    I too both both Moto and MTB, except I am not a MX guy. I stick to doing enduros and fun rides. I got into MTB about 7 years ago and a way to cross train. Now I am finding it is just as much fun with less the $$. I did end up buying a 2014 KTM 350XCF. Great bike. Not sure I will ever give up moto but I find I am MTB a whole lot more
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I've kind of gone the opposite - in a good way. At age 38 with a 10yo that fell in love with motorcycles from powered scooters, pocket bikes, etc, he decided he wanted a dirt bike. I hadn't ridden a "moto" since I was a kid, when we had quads. I picked him up a TTR110 and because I can't just turn him loose in the desert just yet, I picked up a TTR230 for myself. We have been having a blast over the past 6 months, his skills & confidence have gone way up and thankfully we have had no major injuries. I find that after 20+ years of mountain biking from XC to DH and back to XC over my life span, I have really good bike handling skills on the moto.

My 12yo wants no part of the dirt bike thing, he's all about mountain biking with dad. So, I am lucky to get to spend my weekends with my boys riding moto one day, and mountain biking the next. In fact, younger brother has also gotten the mountain biking bug so now the three of us going out and have a good time on the prime single track 5 minutes from home! I do find that riding the dirt bike has made me want to ride my mountain bike much more again, and that was an unexpected plus. I thought after twisting a throttle I was going to want no part of pedaling again!!

Nice Job Dad!!
    Glad You can afford this.
    It will keep you together for life.
    Enjoy.
    G
    Out.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My story sounds like a mix of some others' in this thread.

In '09 after 10+ years away from MTB, I decided to buy another bike to supplement my MX riding. I was enjoying having MTB back as it's more social while riding and I found it easier to get out of the house to do. Well, 2 years later I crashed racing moto and got a concussion that I still am not sure I recovered from, and started to destroy the lower discs in my back. I decided I would not race anymore, and just ride for fun. After only two attempts to ride my MX bike 6 months apart ended with doctor visits again..I said F THIS, and sold the bike on the spot. It sucked, but my body was just falling apart and i'm only in my 30's..

I decided at the start of last year that I would give a shot at MTB racing, and started training more seriously..even bought a road bike with the money from selling my MX bike. I have been having a great time, have met some great people..And if weren't for my bad back holding me up here or there (now because of work instead of moto..) I would say I have never felt better.

Every time I watch MX or SX on tv I get the urge to ride again, and maybe if they get something going with injecting stem cells into degenerative discs I will be first in line! For now I am happy with MTB and Road riding/racing.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Exactly how we got started as a family. My 10 year old son wanted a dirt bike so I had to get one + the one for our older daughter and a quad for my wife. It was an AWESOME family activity; going on desert and mountain trip with numerous other work families. Besides getting hurt on the dirt bike, it was an easier decision to sell when the kids went off to college.

Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Very common transition I think here. I too switched because of lack of money due to all the injuries I succumbed during my 3 year hare scramble racing stint. The main one being my amputated big toe after I smashed it too bad to be fixed, wearing mx boots (ouch!). I'm still paying these bills a year later and ironically I'm in the best shape of my life because I'm always on my mountain bike. I still have my 04 ktm 200 that I still ride on occasion but my confidence level on it has dwindled over the past year of not riding it much. I just don't have the heart to sell it because I know I will regret it and money is such a temporary thing, you get it, spend it and then what do you have. I have a couple mountain bikes but my favorite ironically is the most simple one, redline monocog 29er. I just love the challenge of pushing that tall gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's a shame some of us don't live closer. It would be fun to do an ex-moto trail ride and do some bench racing/story telling. Good to see some more moto guys transitioning to mtbing. I suppose you just can't pull some of us from the dirt. I'll live in the dirt until I'm burried in it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast