• 07-17-2011
    centershot
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?
    Wondering if I'm the last one - I still very much enjoy riding my Trek 6500 hardtail. I find it fairly light and quick on the trails - easy to flick around and catch a little air from time to time. All I see are 29er F/S bikes - makes me wonder if I'm the last of a dieing breed.
  • 07-17-2011
    Colonel Flagg
    I don't remember the last time I saw a high end 26" hardtail in a shop. 3 or 4 years ago maybe.
  • 07-17-2011
    BetterRide
    Yes, for the reasons you mentioned and for dirt jumping. They also can make a trail that is petty boring on your FS fun again!
  • 07-17-2011
    1niceride
    I built a 29er ht to try it out. Liked the 26er better for my area. Too much cut and thrust riding for a 29er.
  • 07-17-2011
    redmr2_man
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BetterRide View Post
    Yes, for the reasons you mentioned and for dirt jumping. They also can make a trail that is petty boring on your FS fun again!

this!

Take a rather boring fs trail, and bam, techy hardtail action. I still ride/race mine with vbrakes. People look at me weird :p
  • 07-17-2011
    mechBgon
    Yeah, when it's all been said and done, my 26" hardtail is still the bike that puts the silly grin on my face.

• 07-17-2011
    perttime
  • 07-17-2011
    TXTony
    More efficient..helps keep the bike handling skills in tact..and like others mentioned can make a boring trail a little fun again
  • 07-17-2011
    OLx6
    I still ride a hardtail. Purchased a 2010 Cannondale F1 with 26" wheels last year. This is my third 26" hardtail.

Just plain fun.
  • 07-17-2011
    screampint
    Like it? I love it! Here she is, getting ready for the 25 Hours of Frog Hollow.

• 07-17-2011
    Marty01
    i started riding almost20 years ago.. i was about 10-12 then.. and no i dont mean riding to my buddies house.. imean riding trails.. cuz they were there and I had a bike!! thats still why i ride today.. andim still riding my `96 Giant ATX 840 hardtail..plans are to get a FS rig.. but thats more of a luxury thing i guess you could say..my ol faithfull always takes me back home.. i always ride her hard and out her away wet.. and she always begs for more.. whenever i actuallydotake the plunge into the worldof duallies..it wont be without missing my ol friend.. . but its ok..she`ll hopefully have a 2nd life..asthe trailler towing rig, after all I hafta show my son (3 month) the peace, serenity and happiness that a couple hours of solitude can provide
  • 07-17-2011
    boxman12
    Love mine. In fact, it's all I've ridden this year while my FS sits in the basement. Hadn't had a hardtail in almost a decade. Built one up last fall and can't get enough of it.
  • 07-17-2011
    Xizang11
    YES! One Ti, one aluminum, one steel, and one carbon.
  • 07-17-2011
    YOUR HONOR
    yep. love my 26" hardtails, a Surly Instigator for MTB, and a Voodoo for commuting. :thumbsup:
  • 07-17-2011
    striped monkey
    O yeah! I recently tore down my 6&6" bike to build up a steel hardtail. Love it!
  • 07-17-2011
    in the trees
    Quote:

Originally Posted by striped monkey View Post
    O yeah! I recently tore down my 6&6" bike to build up a steel hardtail. Love it!

Me, too. Did the same thing this Spring!
  • 07-17-2011
    playdead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by perttime View Post

nice looking rig there.
  • 07-17-2011
    High Side

Yes
  • 07-17-2011
    gomer hardtale
    hell yeah, my favorite bike
  • 07-17-2011
    Stunt4Life
    I can't imagine riding a hardtail off road. When my suspension is 10psi to much it rattles my bones. I did like the efficient pedal of the SL 3 I rode around in a parking lot.
  • 07-17-2011
    jdfelt
    Just switched from a 26in FS to a 2011 Trek Elite 9.8. I had planned for months on going to a 29er HT but it just simply wasn't as fun to ride as the 26.
  • 07-17-2011
    IronTom
    My budget is keeping me well behind the cutting edge of mtb technology. I had just recently upgraded from a full rigid to a half squshy.

I got to say, I kinda miss the aluminum fully rigid for all the same reasons you are enjoying your hardtail. :eekster:
  • 07-17-2011
    Yukon-RSX
    Have a Rockhopper Pro and have had full suspension in the past, but my Pro isn't dead at all, far from it infact.
    I was unable to justify lugging around a FS when the trails I ride can be done easily on a hardtail, and I also like to feel what's going on under my rear wheel.
  • 07-17-2011
    sandyeggo
    I have two bikes: a geared 26'er hardtail and a 26er rigid SS. Given the type of trails I ride, a full suspension bike just isn't necessary. I've had them in the past but as others have said I like the efficient, fun, and fast feel of a hardtail/rigid bike.
  • 07-17-2011
    telethor
    No 26er hardtail here. My 2 weapons are a rigid SS 29er an a 5" squishy. I have no desire to go back to a 26" hardtail at all.
  • 07-17-2011
    rhyth
    1 Attachment(s)
    I just built up a new one; my 26" hardtail is currently my only ride and goes a long way to keep me sane. :D
  • 07-17-2011
    rafab
    I do:

And I'm building another one:

• 07-17-2011
    patrick2cents
    I still rock my Gary Fisher Piranha more than the Trek EX... it's just so much more fun! (and there is something strangely satisfying about riding a 26" gary fisher bike... )

will upgrade to something like an on-one 456 before too long though (love hardtails... requires some technique to ride well!)
  • 07-17-2011
    disfocus
    Absolutely.
    Had my Banshee Viento stolen in a break-in last week, and I loved it so much that when the insurance comes through (hopefully that's 'when' not 'if'...) I'm going to build another one pretty much the same.
  • 07-17-2011
    omegachicken
    I have an old litespeed hardtail that I bought used that has become my main ride (especially since my 6" FS is out of commission with a broken chain stay and Ellsworth is dragging their feet with the warranty). I have a 29er ht that i've ridden both SS and geared, but i've always felt meh about it. The Litespeed just puts the biggest grin on my face.

I'm sure my riding buds are tired of hearing me say how much fun that bike is :thumbsup:
  • 07-17-2011
    Dex
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I still ride/race mine with vbrakes. People look at me weird :p

Same here...
    Kinda funny and sad the way other fellow mtbr's turn up their noses when they see a bike with rim brakes.

Wouldn't want to be riding any other bike!
  • 07-17-2011
    OnlyNativeUKnow
    I love mine! A c'dale F5, I just ride on single track with lots of switchbacks so not really that necessary for a 29'er or full suspension, yet
  • 07-17-2011
    Mtn-Rider
    I wouldn't want to have to ride a hardtail on the kind of chunky trails I often ride on my FS. It would require going back to riding in ways I left behind since getting spoiled by FS. It's a personal preference, I see many 26" hardtails on the same trails I ride, usually younger riders though.
  • 07-17-2011
    Stevuke
    I love my 26" hardtail.. just a different way of riding, I ride it everywhere.
  • 07-17-2011
    chefmiguel
    Theres a whole lot of us in the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum that do.
  • 07-17-2011
    Bro
    1 Attachment(s)
    I got 70mm of barely working squish on my 26" hardtail. It's got v-brakes too. And only one gear.

My current project involves a fixed/freewheel hub, 700c wheels with fat(ter) tires around 28mm or so, and an old Schwinn frame.

I have yet to drink the 29" or the FS Kool Aid. I doubt (read "hope") I never will. :thumbsup:
  • 07-17-2011
    interlude27
  • 07-17-2011
    FNFAL
    My most fun bike is a 30 pounds commie steel single speed old 26" that I built from spare parts. I even put a rack on it.
  • 07-17-2011
    spadmike
    Just picked up an ibis tranny and am enjoying it. After riding a really slack all mountain rig and a 29er full sus. It is really different. I am having a hard time adjusting to to short wheel base and steep HA. I wanted a change up. I love the simplicity and light weight. I am hopping to sharpen my riding skills.
  • 07-17-2011
    Berkeley Mike
    1 Attachment(s)
    Only always.
  • 07-17-2011
    ettienne-19
    i got to take my neighbors giant revel 2 for a spin on some tight single track. It was fun for sure, liked how simple the ride was. Made me wish i had some left over money for one, i feel like a single speed would only make it even more fun.
  • 07-17-2011
    boxman12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by careboy View Post
    In fact, it's all I've ridden this year while my FS sits in the basement.

Uh?
  • 07-17-2011
    Ailuropoda
    I just got a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Hardtail. I liked the 29er but it felt big and ungainly so I went with the 26. I don't believe specialized makes a carbon frame HT 26er anymore so the market may have spoken but I prefer the standard wheels.
  • 07-18-2011
    scrublover
    Yes.

Though I will admit to having lustful thoughts over something like a Banshee Paradox with large fork. Something like that will probably eventually replace my 26er hardtail, but I'm not exactly in a hurry.

Since, you know, you couldn't possibly ride a kiddie wheel hardtail on anything but smooth and mellow trails.
  • 07-18-2011
    KiwiJohn

Flipping A.
    29ers are just a passing fad. Like bar ends & long stems.
  • 07-18-2011
    Broccoli
    Drop by AM forum. Or, for example, Transition TransAm thread.
  • 07-18-2011
    Dex
    Hey Scrublover...
    You know 26" Hardtails can't be ridden in such terrain :thumbsup:
  • 07-18-2011
    jorgerunfast
    definitely not alone! i just bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon to build up.

for the value alone, I can't see myself ever changing. then again, i'm pretty recreational.
  • 07-18-2011
    Bryank930
    HT 26er is all I own.
  • 07-18-2011
    JonathanGennick
    Yes. I plan on building up a new one soon, using a Gary Fisher Tassajara frame that I've been sitting on. All I'm missing is a QR15 fork to match the wheelset that I bought.